Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:42:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CNN Story on Silk Road - Bitcoin not mentioned  (Read 3711 times)
Roger_Murdock (OP)

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 10:11:04 PM

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2012/07/07/dnt-illegal-drugs-website.kxan

Lame cnn.com video on the Silk Road. Tor is described but no mention of Bitcoin. 
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Peter Todd
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1150

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 10:23:40 PM

Interesting to see the mention that Tor is used by the US government, but not the mention that they originally developed it in the first place.

Roger_Murdock (OP)

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 10:40:28 PM

Oh, no! According to the video, the Silk Road makes it possible for "addicts" to order their drugs online in an easy, convenient manner! I suppose that's true. Of course, it also provides safe, convenient online ordering for responsible recreational drug consumers, but for some reason the video doesn't mention that angle. Oh right, according to official propaganda such people don't exist. 

It's hard to imagine something worse than this. I mean, what's next? Are they going to start selling addictive, mind-altering drugs in your local convenience or grocery store?! Oh wait...
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 10:44:23 PM

Interesting to see the mention that Tor is used by the US government, but not the mention that they originally developed it in the first place.

haha, no doubt. Onion routing was created by the Navy if I'm not mistaken. It was highly useful back before TOR even.

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
Peter Todd
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1150

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 10:49:14 PM

haha, no doubt. Onion routing was created by the Navy if I'm not mistaken. It was highly useful back before TOR even.

Heck, while it's not (known to be) military developed these days, they still list military uses on their website: https://www.torproject.org/about/torusers.html.en#military

Militaries use Tor

• Field agents: It is not difficult for insurgents to monitor Internet traffic and discover all the hotels and other locations from which people are connecting to known military servers. Military field agents deployed away from home use Tor to mask the sites they are visiting, protecting military interests and operations, as well as protecting themselves from physical harm.
  • Hidden services: When the Internet was designed by DARPA, its primary purpose was to be able to facilitate distributed, robust communications in case of local strikes. However, some functions must be centralized, such as command and control sites. It's the nature of the Internet protocols to reveal the geographic location of any server that is reachable online. Tor's hidden services capacity allows military command and control to be physically secure from discovery and takedown.
  • Intelligence gathering: Military personnel need to use electronic resources run and monitored by insurgents. They do not want the webserver logs on an insurgent website to record a military address, thereby revealing the surveillance.

sadpandatech

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 10:50:54 PM

Oh, no! According to the video, the Silk Road makes it possible for "addicts" to order their drugs online in an easy, convenient manner! I suppose that's true. Of course, it also provides safe, convenient online ordering for responsible recreational drug consumers, but for some reason the video doesn't mention that angle. Oh right, according to official propaganda such people don't exist.  

It's hard to imagine something worse than this. I mean, what's next? Are they going to start selling addictive, mind-altering drugs in your local convenience or grocery store?! Oh wait...

no shit!!!

And if CNN cares so much or had reporters with half a brain would they not have thought to say, "Maybe it's High Time we provided addicts an easy, convenient way to get treatment"?

nope, of course not. Just more fucking scare the sheep news storeies. "Your own neighbor may be secretly acquiring highy dangerous, mind altering drugs without having to leave his home". Be sure to watch for these signs;

1. Checks his mailbox often.
2. Smiles and waves at you.
3. Asks how your day has gone.
4. ....
5. ...

Do not ever approach them as their mood can change to one of murderous rage without wanring. Call your local law enforcement immediatly if your neighbor shows any signs of abhorrent behavior!

disclaimer; I do not partake of any illicit substances but am strongly againt telling my neighbor what he can and cannot do when it does not affect me....

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

sadpandatech

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 10:52:07 PM

Heck, while it's not (known to be) military developed these days, they still list military uses on their website: https://www.torproject.org/about/torusers.html.en#military

Militaries use Tor

• Field agents: It is not difficult for insurgents to monitor Internet traffic and discover all the hotels and other locations from which people are connecting to known military servers. Military field agents deployed away from home use Tor to mask the sites they are visiting, protecting military interests and operations, as well as protecting themselves from physical harm.
  • Hidden services: When the Internet was designed by DARPA, its primary purpose was to be able to facilitate distributed, robust communications in case of local strikes. However, some functions must be centralized, such as command and control sites. It's the nature of the Internet protocols to reveal the geographic location of any server that is reachable online. Tor's hidden services capacity allows military command and control to be physically secure from discovery and takedown.
  • Intelligence gathering: Military personnel need to use electronic resources run and monitored by insurgents. They do not want the webserver logs on an insurgent website to record a military address, thereby revealing the surveillance.

That's awesome, I had not seen that page.

- GA

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 10:58:59 PM

The video on CNN is from KXAN:

- http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/investigations/website-enables-easy-illegal-drug-sales

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

sadpandatech

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 11:11:33 PM

Looks like the original mentions at the end that the only way to pay for stuff is with BTC..

- GA

Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 09, 2012, 12:06:17 AM

User numbers will go up uP Up UP!!!
Till Silk Road gets finally busted.
But that could be a fair way off from now.
Probably prices for bitcoin will be lifted a bit as well in the process.
Roger_Murdock (OP)

View Profile
July 09, 2012, 01:15:44 AM

Looks like the original mentions at the end that the only way to pay for stuff is with BTC..

Yeah, you're right:

The websites do not take a check or credit card but only bitcoins, perfectly legal digital money that Silk Road claims is not traceable.

At first, I was like "hey, they mentioned that bitcoin is legal. That's kinda positive!" And then I realized that the tone they were going for with that comment was: "can you believe that this bitcoin thing is actually not illegal? Contact your Congressman immediately!"  God, I hate the legacy media.
Roger_Murdock (OP)

View Profile
July 09, 2012, 01:17:34 AM

User numbers will go up uP Up UP!!!
Till Silk Road gets finally busted.
But that could be a fair way off from now.
Probably prices for bitcoin will be lifted a bit as well in the process.

What's with the pessimism?
Realpra

Activity: 815
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 09, 2012, 08:15:27 AM

Well such publicity as this is sure to bring attention to BTC and raise rates if it hasn't done so already. Its not like you can use silkroad without knowing BTC.

I don't mind them fear mongering, it will just make us look stronger when "the angry mob" hits a freaking wall.

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 09, 2012, 10:39:47 AM

Well such publicity as this is sure to bring attention to BTC and raise rates if it hasn't done so already. Its not like you can use silkroad without knowing BTC.

I don't mind them fear mongering, it will just make us look stronger when "the angry mob" hits a freaking wall.

For the last two month, the price of bitcoin was impervious to publicity.

Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2012, 08:50:34 PM

@OP
Lame suggestion: topic is not formatted for this thread

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: