Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:43:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The bitcoin story for the average joe  (Read 3921 times)
LiteCoinGuy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2015, 06:24:04 PM

Step 1: Panic Sell: Quickly go to your exchange of choice (preferably one located in a country other than your own) and sell all your bitcoin. Don't even risk owning the smallest fraction of a coin. If you really want to commit to quitting, do it right and sell everything.

Step 2: Seek Validation on Your Favorite Bitcoin Forum: It is simply not enough to sell all your bitcoin. To ensure that you later don't have a "change of heart," it is required that you announce your departure. Regular bitcoin users also like to see who is leaving, so it is important for you to tell them. You won't believe how much strangers on the Internet care!

Step 3: Make Sure You Know Your Talking Points: People leaving bitcoin need to have a reason why. Make sure you have one in your pocket especially during step 2. Please choose one of these: "Price Volatility", "Centralized Mining", "Fixed Supply".

Step 4: Enjoy the Freedom from Bitcoin Shackles

Step 5: Do something else for awhile. Never pass up an opportunity to ridicule the idea of Bitcoin and those dumb enough to use it.

Step 6: Check back after six months, only to find that Bitcoin isn't dead after all.

Step 7: Check back again, only to find the price has inexplicably risen past your selling price. Complain bitterly, as the price continues rising relentlessly and inexplicably, about how "early adopters" get all the breaks.

Step 8: Buy bitcoin. Buy more bitcoin. Start dreaming of getting rich simply by buying Bitcoin.

Step 9: Put 90% of your net worth into Bitcoin. Make a post to /r/bitcoin about how you're in it for the long haul.

Step 10: Watch in horror as your "investment" drops by 50%, then 60%, then 70%.

Step 11: GOTO Step 1.

TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 06:29:59 PM

Addenda: please be sporting enough to return with your old handle, so we can derive great glee from rubbing your nose in your stupidity later.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2015, 06:33:03 PM

Step 12. When Bitcoin crashes down to $0, go to Home depot get some quality rope, tie a nice fat noose around your neck, find a nice sturdy chair to kick under you.

P.S. - Morbid sense of humor, nobody please off yourself, life's way too important.  But if you invested 100% of your life savings without hedging, I guess it's an option... Lips sealed

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
Flashman

Activity: 518

Hodl!

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 06:39:47 PM

Meh, I'll just quit wasting time with BTC and make an AI Robot asteroid mining probe that 3D prints clones of itself and flies back 5 million strong with 50lb of precious metals in each..... then I'll whine about the platinum, rhodium, palladium and gold bubble collapsing.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
saddampbuh
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1014

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 07:27:52 PM

this is why i dont sell any, i can live with losing a couple of thousand £, i couldn't live with myself if i dumped and then the price soared

Be radical, have principles, be absolute, be that which the bourgeoisie calls an extremist: give yourself without counting or calculating, don't accept what they call ‘the reality of life' and act in such a way that you won't be accepted by that kind of ‘life', never abandon the principle of struggle.
fritz

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 07:30:40 PM

Well, if we can't invest in oil anymore, where will all the investment dollars go?......bitcoin....?
R2D221

Activity: 658

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 07:55:21 PM

Step 12. When Bitcoin crashes down to $0, go to Home depot get some quality rope

In such a case, I would have no money at all. Are you implying I should steal that rope?

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
ChuckBuck

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2015, 08:25:02 PM

Step 12. When Bitcoin crashes down to $0, go to Home depot get some quality rope

In such a case, I would have no money at all. Are you implying I should steal that rope?

Desperate people do desperate things. Cry

If I'm out on the street living on my pee and poop, I'd probably do stuff like that...I mean you have nothing to lose at that point right?  No fiat or BTC to continue living civilly...

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
R2D221

Activity: 658

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 08:40:10 PM

Having $0 money does not equal living on the streets. If you had previously bought a house, and some time after you find yourself with no money, the house doesn't simply vanish. You can still sell it and rent somewhere less expensive. Also, I assume you continue working, right?

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
picolo

Activity: 1022

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 09:12:42 PM

Hopefully we will soon be in the panick buying phase or it could be a phase of rational buying because of the price halving, USD tanking and Bitcoin showing itself as a strong alternative to a fiat currency world.
ChuckBuck

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2015, 10:29:35 PM

Having $0 money does not equal living on the streets. If you had previously bought a house, and some time after you find yourself with no money, the house doesn't simply vanish. You can still sell it and rent somewhere less expensive. Also, I assume you continue working, right?

Having $0 money means you can't pay or afford mortgage, bills, food, electric, internet, water, medical expenses, gas, dog, cat, turtle etc.  Which probably means foreclosure on your house.  It means you can't afford to go to work, because you can't afford train/bus fare.  It means you'll be fired from work.  Since you don't have internet, you can't look for a job.

Yup, pretty much stick to my cardboard box for now...

Notice I'm still wearing my work shoes.  At least those are still good if I can get an interview.

DAM YOU BITCOIN!!! Angry

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 10:35:51 PM

Step 12. When Bitcoin crashes down to $0, go to Home depot get some quality rope, tie a nice fat noose around your neck, find a nice sturdy chair to kick under you.

P.S. - Morbid sense of humor, nobody please off yourself, life's way too important.  But if you invested 100% of your life savings without hedging, I guess it's an option... Lips sealed

During the interim, pull-a-Williams behind locked doors, making sure to not leave a suicide note.
ChuckBuck

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2015, 10:40:50 PM

Hey PG, long time no talk!   Cheesy

What does pull-a-williams mean?  Tried googling it, but doesn't come up with anything obvious. 

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 10:42:07 PM

Having $0 money means you can't pay or afford mortgage, bills, food, electric, internet, water, medical expenses, gas, dog, cat, turtle etc.  Which probably means foreclosure on your house.  It means you can't afford to go to work, because you can't afford train/bus fare.  It means you'll be fired from work.  Since you don't have internet, you can't look for a job.

Yup, pretty much stick to my cardboard box for now...

Notice I'm still wearing my work shoes.  At least those are still good if I can get an interview.

DAM YOU BITCOIN!!! Angry

A seasoned Bitcoiner would've found it funnier if the [Pattayan] homeless man was juxtaposed next to a three-prong fire hydrant.

Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 10:45:10 PM

Hey PG, long time no talk!   Cheesy

What does pull-a-williams mean?  Tried googling it, but doesn't come up with anything obvious.  

Try http://lmgtfy.com/?q=williams+%20%22no+suicide+note%22+%22hung+himself%22, or perhaps pull-a-Carradine is a better clue.

Step 1: Panic Sell: Quickly go to your exchange of choice (preferably one located in a country other than your own) and sell all your bitcoin. Don't even risk owning the smallest fraction of a coin. If you really want to commit to quitting, do it right and sell everything.

Step 2: Seek Validation on Your Favorite Bitcoin Forum: It is simply not enough to sell all your bitcoin. To ensure that you later don't have a "change of heart," it is required that you announce your departure. Regular bitcoin users also like to see who is leaving, so it is important for you to tell them. You won't believe how much strangers on the Internet care!

Step 3: Make Sure You Know Your Talking Points: People leaving bitcoin need to have a reason why. Make sure you have one in your pocket especially during step 2. Please choose one of these: "Price Volatility", "Centralized Mining", "Fixed Supply".

Step 5: Do something else for awhile. Never pass up an opportunity to ridicule the idea of Bitcoin and those dumb enough to use it.

Step 6: Check back after six months, only to find that Bitcoin isn't dead after all.

Step 7: Check back again, only to find the price has inexplicably risen past your selling price. Complain bitterly, as the price continues rising relentlessly and inexplicably, about how "early adopters" get all the breaks.

Step 8: Buy bitcoin. Buy more bitcoin. Start dreaming of getting rich simply by buying Bitcoin.

Step 9: Put 90% of your net worth into Bitcoin. Make a post to /r/bitcoin about how you're in it for the long haul.

Step 10: Sit back or pull-a-Williams or pull-a-Carradine, then...

Step 11: Watch in horror as your "investment" drops by 50%, then 60%, then 70%.

Step 12: GOTO Step 1 (if you survived Step 10).
picolo

Activity: 1022

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 08:52:10 AM

To be a millionnaire in Bitcoin at a price of 175$  5714 BTC! Having 100 BTC means you could get 17 500$ if you run to the exchanges and the price is not lower by then.

It makes you think if the market is not manipulated by someone who desperately needs some cheap BTC to recover a loss.
EndTheFed321

Activity: 577

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2015, 09:04:29 AM

LOL, but but but I was so sure BTC would rise and rise and make me a bazillion said one speculator, the early adopters are full of useless BTC.

If only the price would keep going down down down  Grin

Earn Free BTC by using your browser check it  out
https://get.cryptobrowser.site/11117080
bitbaby

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2015, 09:34:46 AM

Step 10: Watch in horror as your "investment" drops by 50%, then 60%, then 70%.

Step 11: GOTO Step 1.

Lol, this was really funny, thx
Needed a good laugh.
If you can make a comic strip out of it, pls do, I want to post it on my twitter.

12345mm

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 10:11:37 AM

3 day chart really tells the btc story ... interesting curiosity valued stable below 100 with some intrinsic value as an instantaneous transfer medium ... jacked through the sky in 2 months (due entirely to mtgox fake money/software/lies) ... and optimistic death ever since going on over a year now ...

Coinbase Is THE Place to Buy Your Bitcoins! https://coinbase.com/?r=528a0de17f383142df00040c&utm_campaign=user-referral&src=referral-link Sign Up For Cryptsy! Trade Alts! https://www.cryptsy.com/users/register?refid=15696
BTC:   1Mrr2cPbZc4nmV236AS31vdCP24J9TbJpo   LTC:   LV5UoExrVxU3ddrCKCMZ2Wx5odbkUf7JhT
I Like Free Magic Internet Money! Smiley My Cryptsy Trade Key: ad89bb4885a1f92eb7efd5db30412676673ded0e
xDan

Activity: 688

ヽ( ㅇㅅㅇ)ノ ~!!

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 11:43:09 AM

If you want to go all out, you must quote all three, and also drop some vague hints that a random altcoin that solves all these problems will very likely overtake Bitcoin as the crypto of choice in the future.

HODLing for the longest time. Skippin fast right around the moon. On a rocketship straight to mars.
Up, up and away with my beautiful, my beautiful Bitcoin~
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: