Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:59:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New IRC bootstrapping using random channels.  (Read 5510 times)
Dybbuk

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 11:36:47 PM

I haven't been having very good luck with the random IRC channels.  Each of the random channels joined didn't have enough other clients attached.  Eventually, I just modified bitcoind to connect to good old #bitcoin instead, and now everything is peachy.  Perhaps the client should join multiple channels until enough folks have upgraded to the random channel-using clients?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MacRohard

Activity: 212
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 10:56:36 AM

I haven't been having very good luck with the random IRC channels.  Each of the random channels joined didn't have enough other clients attached.  Eventually, I just modified bitcoind to connect to good old #bitcoin instead, and now everything is peachy.  Perhaps the client should join multiple channels until enough folks have upgraded to the random channel-using clients?

It will be fine once the build is actually released and people start using it.. right now it's only the early adopters who are mostly already bootstrapped.

Theo

Activity: 22

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 08:04:51 PM

DNS is a step forward in speed but also a step back in functionality.
Encoded in the IRC nicks is the port the peer is listening on. The DNS peer lookup has no way to do that the moment.
This means DNS discovery can only use the standard port which makes blocking peer bootstrapping much easier.
Not a big issue right now but it does need to be addressed at some point.

You could ask for TXT records which store addresses in the same format that are used for IRC nicknames.
Theo

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 08:19:05 PM

DNS does not completely replace IRC, as its database can only be updated by the maintainer, not by everyone.

There's not much difference between these two, as a channel operator can ban/filter addresses and an IRCop can alter the server to return basically anything. For both you need to trust the maintainer not to tamper with the service.

If you want the clients to dynamically add their addresses to the bootstrapping service, you can do this with DNS, too. E.g. set up a DNS server that accepts DNS UPDATE (RFC2136) to add new records (obviously deny delete attempts and purge outdated entries from time to time). Or set up a tiny UDP update service additionally to DNS where clients can submit their address to the database.
MacRohard

Activity: 212
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 09:07:49 PM

DNS does not completely replace IRC, as its database can only be updated by the maintainer, not by everyone.

There's not much difference between these two, as a channel operator can ban/filter addresses and an IRCop can alter the server to return basically anything. For both you need to trust the maintainer not to tamper with the service.

If you want the clients to dynamically add their addresses to the bootstrapping service, you can do this with DNS, too. E.g. set up a DNS server that accepts DNS UPDATE (RFC2136) to add new records (obviously deny delete attempts and purge outdated entries from time to time). Or set up a tiny UDP update service additionally to DNS where clients can submit their address to the database.

Here's my proposal for how a better DNS bootstrapping mechanism could work.

Each client could resolve a special dns name such as

u5MGeZm2ktRwMNV.bootstrap.ve

where u5MGeZm2ktRwMNV is the same as the nickname used on IRC and encodes the host/port of the querying client.

The DNS server in response to this query would reply with a list of some number of verified bootstrap nodes. Rather than returning a simple DNS A record, the DNS server could reply with an SRV record specifying the port number as well as the address.

The server would then add u5MGeZm2ktRwMNV to a queue of nodes to be verified and subsequently it would appear as a reply to someone else's request. Perhaps if I have time I'll hack up an implementation of this.

bluecmd

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 12:01:17 PM

Wouldn't all this create partitions of the network?

If I bootstrap and randomize into #bitcoin00, the peers there will only know about themselves, no?
CD-RW (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 22

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 09:28:22 AM

Wouldn't all this create partitions of the network?

If I bootstrap and randomize into #bitcoin00, the peers there will only know about themselves, no?
Not if 10k clients try to get in 100 channels.
Dunbar

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 09:39:18 AM

My university ISP banned me from their network because of the IRC connections. I apparently connected to an IP on their blocklist on port 6667 and they assumed my pc was part of a botnet that got directions from that IP.

I now have blocked all incoming and outgoing traffic on port 6667 on my pc but I am not sure if bitcoin is working anymore. Is there a solution to this problem? I cant imagine I am the only one with this problem. It also prevent me from running the client without worrying all the time about getting my connection taken away.
Pieter Wuille
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1072
Merit: 1174

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2011, 09:46:33 AM

Start bitcoin with: bitcoin -noirc -dnsseed

This will disable IRC seeding, and use the new DNS seeding method.

I do Bitcoin stuff.
Dunbar

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 09:52:31 AM

Thanks. Where do I enter those commands? The pat "C:\Program Files (x86)\Bitcoin\bitcoin.exe -noirc -dnsseed" didnt work.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 12:57:24 PM

Thanks. Where do I enter those commands? The pat "C:\Program Files (x86)\Bitcoin\bitcoin.exe -noirc -dnsseed" didnt work.
the quotes has to stop after .exe

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: