Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 11:05:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC crashing, under $200 and falling fast.  (Read 1863 times)
TruthBear (OP)

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 07:37:08 AM

Who is still holding?  Shocked
turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 07:38:09 AM

me

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
KennyTheMartian

Activity: 69

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 07:39:38 AM

This is bad  Angry

[XMR] Monero
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3822
Merit: 1373

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 07:40:01 AM

me

Good thing it is payday. Time to buy.   Cheesy

EDIT: Can't decide which is the better deal, the Iraqi Dinar, or Bitcoin.

Cure your cancer at home. Ivermectin, fenbendazole, methylene blue, and hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) are chief among parasite drugs. Find out that all disease is based in parasites or pollution, and what you can easily do about it - https://www.huldaclark.com/, https://thedrardisshow.com/, https://thehighwire.com/.
takagari
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 07:40:29 AM

buying!!
Eamorr

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 07:40:46 AM

Not gentleman
benzona

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 07:42:06 AM

Just caught the bug about two weeks ago - happy that my wire transfer took forever to hit the exchange.
I think we are in panic mode, but not going to try and catch a falling knife.  Waiting to see some signs of rebound before I jump in!
Nubitcoinerr

Activity: 332
Merit: 254

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 07:42:41 AM

it will be around 100 and steady
sandykho47

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

Knowledge its everything

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 07:44:02 AM

I'm sell for now, and if bitcoin price reach bottom i'll buy as many as i can

Kemampuanku Tidak semua orang memiliki dan dapat melakukannya . Tidak memakan kaum sendiri . dan mempunyai kode etik yang tidak masuk akal.
Dread Pirate Roberts

Activity: 1484
Merit: 326

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2015, 07:45:10 AM

thats ok . waiting best time to rebuy
FarSky7

Activity: 100

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 07:48:06 AM

Holy fuck, I've been watching on BTC-E the whole day.

I was there when Bit Coin shot up months ago, and I am here while it crashes.

Its all kinda surreal.

Where the hell is the bottom?
DoM P

Activity: 34

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 07:52:08 AM

Never seen that anywhere, anytime. Crashing so quickly!

Does anyone know of something that could explain this apart from pure panic?

I found this: https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/russia-blocked-several-bitcoin-sites-preperation-russian-bitcoin-ban/

But that is clearly not scary enough for such a crash...
turvarya

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 08:26:32 AM

I found this: https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/russia-blocked-several-bitcoin-sites-preperation-russian-bitcoin-ban/

It is really hard to tell.
I heard sometimes, 2015 will be the year, the US-government will try to destroy Bitcoin. Maybe it is that.
There was the explanation that, it goes down, in December because people are selling BTC to buy gifts, but that is over now.
The explanation that still makes the most sense for me is: There are some speculators, who make a lot of money with a falling price and it is their doing.

DoM P

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 08:45:31 AM

I heard sometimes, 2015 will be the year, the US-government will try to destroy Bitcoin. Maybe it is that.
There was the explanation that, it goes down, in December because people are selling BTC to buy gifts, but that is over now.
The explanation that still makes the most sense for me is: There are some speculators, who make a lot of money with a falling price and it is their doing.

I don't buy that.
There aren't two ways to make the prices fall: Sell a lot at a low price.
That means you need to own a lot of bitcoins to start with, and dump them at a low price.

Now what's the interest of doing that? Hoping that the price will crash much much lower than the selling price so buy rebuy low. It's a hell of a bet.
If the market swallows the orders (and it did swallow $200,000,000 worth of orders yesterday) without starting a crash, the plan fails. To succeed, such a plan needs to not find a resistance in the market. Usually, there are some. So that's extremely risky. And since all of this cannot be forseeable in details, people doing that would need to keep many Bitcoins in reverve in case the pump needs to be restarted again. That means they need to be losing money with the rest of us.

Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2015, 08:51:27 AM

In a thinly traded market in the middle of the night, stuff like this can happen. That's how we got from $205 to $152 in a few minutes.  Now things have settled out around $180. But that's still down $25 from earlier in the day, and the $200 barrier has been broken for the first time.
turvarya

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 08:57:11 AM

I don't buy that.
There aren't two ways to make the prices fall: Sell a lot at a low price.
That means you need to own a lot of bitcoins to start with, and dump them at a low price.

Now what's the interest of doing that? Hoping that the price will crash much much lower than the selling price so buy rebuy low. It's a hell of a bet.
If the market swallows the orders (and it did swallow $200,000,000 worth of orders yesterday) without starting a crash, the plan fails. To succeed, such a plan needs to not find a resistance in the market. Usually, there are some. So that's extremely risky. And since all of this cannot be forseeable in details, people doing that would need to keep many Bitcoins in reverve in case the pump needs to be restarted again. That means they need to be losing money with the rest of us.
What most people like you don't understand:
There are people out there manipulating prices of stocks or even currencies long before there was Bitcoin. Just open your eyes and you will find examples for that.
It doesn't matter, that Bitcoin is a new technology, since the exchanges work the same way as everywhere else.
When I told people some years ago, that there are people manipulating stock prices, they told me, that is not possible. Today I can show them a court decision right here in Austra, that a stock was manipulated.
So, don't be naive, just because you don't understand how they manipulate this prices, doesn't mean they can't do it. There are people doing this shit for decades. (and no, I can't tell you how exactly they are doing it, I am not an expert either)

Deadstock

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 08:57:32 AM

In a thinly traded market in the middle of the night, stuff like this can happen. That's how we got from $205 to $152 in a few minutes.  Now things have settled out around $180. But that's still down $25 from earlier in the day, and the $200 barrier has been broken for the first time.
It's not the middle of the night across the globe ya know.
DoM P

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 09:13:57 AM

Thinly traded? Bitcoin had never seen this kind of volumes. Never!

There are people out there manipulating prices of stocks or even currencies long before there was Bitcoin. Just open your eyes and you will find examples for that.
It doesn't matter, that Bitcoin is a new technology, since the exchanges work the same way as everywhere else.
When I told people some years ago, that there are people manipulating stock prices, they told me, that is not possible. Today I can show them a court decision right here in Austra, that a stock was manipulated.
So, don't be naive, just because you don't understand how they manipulate this prices, doesn't mean they can't do it. There are people doing this shit for decades. (and no, I can't tell you how exactly they are doing it, I am not an expert either)

People like me are in the finance business. I am actually comanager of a hedge fund in Bitcoins, been working in the banking and finance business for over 10 years now, and am the CEO of Crypto Finance Analysis Consulting.

So, unlike you, I do undersand how these things work, and I can actually explain how prices can be manipulated.
It's been done with gold, for example:

A few banks agree on a strategy (the equivalent here would be the top 5 to 10 exchanges agreeing on such a plan)
During certains periods of the day, when the volume is known to be much lower than at some other times, they put sell orders to push the price downward. They lose money at that point, but since they can predict the volumes from years of experience on that specific market, they know the volume with rise within a couple of hours.
Anyway... Since they push the price downward, stop orders are automatically triggered, pushing the price further down.
Then, the volume starts rising again, but at a low price. The banks buy the gold and the price slowly recovers.
Ready for the next operation.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-02-28/gold-fix-study-shows-signs-of-decade-of-bank-manipulation.html

Why doesn't it work for Bitcoin?
- The history isn't long enough
- The price volatility is too high
- The volume volatility itself is too high, so there's no way to predict it
- The volume is not big enough for such players, who are playing of much larger ones, several dozens billion dollars per day.

turvarya

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 09:35:22 AM

Thinly traded? Bitcoin had never seen this kind of volumes. Never!

People like me are in the finance business. I am actually comanager of a hedge fund in Bitcoins, been working in the banking and finance business for over 10 years now, and am the CEO of Crypto Finance Analysis Consulting.

So, unlike you, I do undersand how these things work, and I can actually explain how prices can be manipulated.
It's been done with gold, for example:

A few banks agree on a strategy (the equivalent here would be the top 5 to 10 exchanges agreeing on such a plan)
During certains periods of the day, when the volume is known to be much lower than at some other times, they put sell orders to push the price downward. They lose money at that point, but since they can predict the volumes from years of experience on that specific market, they know the volume with rise within a couple of hours.
Anyway... Since they push the price downward, stop orders are automatically triggered, pushing the price further down.
Then, the volume starts rising again, but at a low price. The banks buy the gold and the price slowly recovers.
Ready for the next operation.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-02-28/gold-fix-study-shows-signs-of-decade-of-bank-manipulation.html

Why doesn't it work for Bitcoin?
- The history isn't long enough
- The price volatility is too high
- The volume volatility itself is too high, so there's no way to predict it
- The volume is not big enough for such players, who are playing of much larger ones, several dozens billion dollars per day.

So, you made a website, so you are an expert on finance?
I just have to take a look at your (short) posting history to see, that you are not.
Your statement is also pretty absurd.
So, there is this one strategy and it is not  working on Bitcoin, so it is impossible, that the price is manipulated? Are you really serious with that statement?

DoM P

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 09:48:55 AM

So, you made a website, so you are an expert on finance?
I didn't make a a website. I hired people to do so.
In the team, we also have someone with 2 master degrees: finance and trading, someone else with 2 master degrees also: finance and risk management, someone else with a master degree in economics, etc.
So yes, that makes us freaking experts.

I just have to take a look at your (short) posting history to see, that you are not.
You're right. My experience is all in Bitcointalk. You got it all here.  Roll Eyes
Check this out here: https://nxtforum.org/index.php?action=profile;u=554
Or here: http://cointelegraph.com/news/112356/exclusive-key-negotiator-in-bter-nxt-hack-speaks-out
Or here: http://bitcoinist.net/cryptocoins-hedge-fund-nxtinside-gives-birth-to-a-new-partnership/
Or here: http://www.contrepoints.org/author/dom-p

Your statement is also pretty absurd.
So, there is this one strategy and it is not  working on Bitcoin, so it is impossible, that the price is manipulated? Are you really serious with that statement?

Since you adminitedly don't understand how this works, why exactly are you trolling here?
If you're so sure this is a price manipulation case, just explain how this is done. Or just leave it to pros.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: