Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 09:56:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Fake transactions in the exchanges again? Don't trust your eyes...  (Read 3005 times)
WilderX (OP)

Activity: 597
Merit: 504

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 08:03:48 AM

Something fishy is going on right now

Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 08:06:58 AM

WilderX (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 08:13:54 AM

Thanks for the graphics  Grin

We need em decentralized exchanges...

DoM P

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 08:33:17 AM

Like this?

http://multigateway.org/
gjgjg

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 09:13:14 AM

big orders placed then removed just before prices hit them is common practice trading technique. basically a fake out to fool people into thinking price will turn at those points. helps with stop loss hunting. the faker is looking to get better prices on their order.

ofc could just be someone moving their larger order price cos theyre indecisive ;p

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
WilderX (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 11:27:36 AM

big orders placed then removed just before prices hit them is common practice trading technique. basically a fake out to fool people into thinking price will turn at those points. helps with stop loss hunting. the faker is looking to get better prices on their order.

ofc could just be someone moving their larger order price cos theyre indecisive ;p

No I'm not talking about playing with the order book. I mean centralized exchanges doing fake transactions with fake bitcoins and dollars to manipulate the market aka similiar what MT GOX was doing.

flipstyle

Activity: 406

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 11:30:10 AM

No I'm not talking about playing with the order book. I mean centralized exchanges doing fake transactions with fake bitcoins and dollars to manipulate the market aka similiar what MT GOX was doing.

I could buy into that possibility.  I heard speculation that it might be due in part to Bitstamp trying to rebuy cheap coins to compensate for the stolen money owed?  If true, that could account for the sharp 24 hour decline, but still does not detract from the fact that it's been a half year bear market.   But certainly a possibility.
DoM P

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 11:34:15 AM

Could someone explain to me how, technically, and exchange coud manipulate the prices by putting fake orders?
I can see how to fake the volume, but the price...

I could buy into that possibility.  I heard speculation that it might be due in part to Bitstamp trying to rebuy cheap coins to compensate for the stolen money owed?  If true, that could account for the sharp 24 hour decline, but still does not detract from the fact that it's been a half year bear market.   But certainly a possibility.

Even if Bitstamp finds a way to manipulate the price on their exchnage, how would they manipulate it elsewhere?
flipstyle

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 11:47:03 AM

Could someone explain to me how, technically, and exchange coud manipulate the prices by putting fake orders?

Even if Bitstamp finds a way to manipulate the price on their exchnage, how would they manipulate it elsewhere?

I'm not even quite sure it's entirely possible, to be brutally honest.

But maybe the fact that they're still one of the top exchanges in terms of volume means that their own personal btc price is held in high regards by market traders.

It's almost like the mt. gox debacle...everyone was referencing their prices as one of the top exchanges, which never made sense because they were either artificially much higher or much lower than the rest (which screams manipulation).

DoM P

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 12:03:43 PM

I'm not even quite sure it's entirely possible, to be brutally honest.

But maybe the fact that they're still one of the top exchanges in terms of volume means that their own personal btc price is held in high regards by market traders.

It's almost like the mt. gox debacle...everyone was referencing their prices as one of the top exchanges, which never made sense because they were either artificially much higher or much lower than the rest (which screams manipulation).

Certainly not.
The market works both on global and local incentives. Let me take a couple of examples:

1. If an exchange has high entry and exit fees but low trading fees. There is an incentive, once you're in, to stay in and do your trading there. If the price moves on other platforms, arbitrage should happen, unless the arbitrage itself costs more in entry and exit fees than the amount of profit it can generate. That's called spread.

2. If people on an exchange lose faith in it, for example because it takes a long time to handle withdrawals, then people will tend to sell their bitcoins on that exchange and try to cash out. That would drive the price down locally, without affecting the global price. That's actually what happened with Mt. Gox, and many people not understanding this phenomenon actually went there in the hope of buying cheap bitcoins -which they did- only to find out they could not withdraw them.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4500

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 12:08:29 PM

Like this?

Pfft
forget nxt. not even worth they hype they are trying to create

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
DoM P

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 12:12:52 PM

Like this?

Pfft
forget nxt. not even worth they hype they are trying to create

Care to develop?
Sutters Mill

Activity: 976
Merit: 575

Cryptophile at large

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 12:21:07 PM

Can you please elaborate? Evidence? Speculation? Theories etc? This isn't the first crash and wont be the last so I just think its bitcoin being what bitcoin is: unpredictable.
Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2015, 12:22:56 PM

Anything of particular interest? For me, it's the same like what we saw a week ago. If you are going highlight a sudden turnaround, I'm all ears. Otherwise, if you are going to tell me there is going to be another drop, I've seen enough.

haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2015, 12:25:30 PM

Which exchange are you talking about? I know there's a bunch of trading bots executing micro transactions on bitstamp because of the temporary no-fee trading, but other than that I don't see anything else fishy...

12345mm

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 12:56:07 PM

pretty simple actually DoM P ... like a tail wagging the dog ... these things can be transferred from exchange to exchange very easily its the nature of digital currency actually ... and all it takes is 1 broke exchange "leading" the market with software and false money and lies and all of the other traders on all other exchanges follow suit in attempt to arbitrage to make money on the "leader" exchange so lets say for a simplified example im trading on an exchange with a price of 100 and ive got fiat money on that exchange and its a "legitimate" exchange and theres another "false" exchange thats at 103 and they are manipulating the price to make it 103 by using fiat money that does not actually exist to "buy" bitcoins off of their own exchange and drive the price up artificially ... well ill buy every bitcoin i can at 100 off the legitimate exchange (and in the process drive the "real" price up) so i can sell on the false exchange offering 103 (since i as a trader dont know which is which) so now ive spent my real money on the real exchange at a price of 100 and sent my bitcoins to the exchange offering 103 and it looks like ive turned 100 into 103 (x however many btc you bought/sent) so yay but ... ultimately ive given my fiat money to the legitimate exchange in return for btc then ive sent and sold those btc to the false exchange for what appears to be a greater amount of fiat money ... and since most everyone will not attempt to cash out their fiat money from the false exchange immediately but instead hold money there to attempt to do additional trades in the future what winds up happening is this for the false exchange - you create hundreds and thousands of accounts on the fake exchange that hold hundreds or thousands of fake dollars which add up to be millions and millions of fiat dollars owed which will never be paid out (because this fiat money thats being spent on the btc does not actually exist in the first place on this false exchange) ... now if someone does want to actually cash out their fiat from the broke false exchange well no problem theyve still got some fiat flowing in from people and they can sell bitcoins on other exchanges to cover their withdrawals they dont want to happen ... then at some point they actually run out of all reserves of actual fiat money or simply reach a huge enough amount of bitcoin to call it quits , they shut down , often claiming they were hacked or had some catastrophic hardware failure , but , and this is key - they still have the thousands and thousands of btc they "bought" with the fake money they injected into their own false exchange ... this is functionally what mt gox did ... they led the market for 2 months and jacked the price from less than 100 to almost 1200 by making purchase after purchase of bitcoins with fake accounts with fake injected money and in the end they didnt give anyone their owed fiat and ran off with everyones bitcoin while simultaneously leading the real price up ... now let's say you want to do this in reverse this is also possible to do ... all you have to do is use fake btc instead of fake fiat and be the leader with the lowest price instead of the highest price ... in this case people are encouraged to send real fiat to your false exchange since you have the lowest price ... and it just works in reverse as already laid out except in this case you have to call it quits when you run out of actual btc to cover withdrawals instead of running out of actual fiat to cover withdrawals but the effect is essentially the same ... shut down with thousands of accounts holding a bunch of fake btc while running off with a real pile of fiat currency (already transferred to an offshore account) ... hope this helps explain how exchanges are able to both manipulate their internal prices and volume while also affecting the real price of bitcoin across other exchanges and in the end rob all of their customers ... btw can i have a job goldman sachs ? ? ?

Coinbase Is THE Place to Buy Your Bitcoins! https://coinbase.com/?r=528a0de17f383142df00040c&utm_campaign=user-referral&src=referral-link Sign Up For Cryptsy! Trade Alts! https://www.cryptsy.com/users/register?refid=15696
BTC:   1Mrr2cPbZc4nmV236AS31vdCP24J9TbJpo   LTC:   LV5UoExrVxU3ddrCKCMZ2Wx5odbkUf7JhT
I Like Free Magic Internet Money! Smiley My Cryptsy Trade Key: ad89bb4885a1f92eb7efd5db30412676673ded0e
DoM P

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 01:46:36 PM

I'm sorry, but that just doesn't explain anything.

Firstly, you're accusing Mt Gox to be doing stuff that they were not doing. The still ongoing investigation shows something quite different.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/police-suspect-mt-gox-bitcoin-theft-was-an-inside-job/
--> Bitcoin theft, not bitcoin scam.

Secondly, you suggest that there would be such a fake exchange today, which I bet you cannot prove.
What you describe is actually extremely hard to pull off.
People come and go, unlike what you say. In the example you give, it would required only 1 out of 33 bitcoins to be withdrawn from that exchange for it to start running on fractional reserves.
Such an exchange couldn't run a month before being discovered.

Thridly, to get this done the way you say, the volatility needs to be low. In periods like today, the volatility within an exchange can be higher that 30% a day. That would kill your idea of a scam in a minute. (Today, I saw the price on Bitstamp go from $159 to $195 in less than 10 minutes).
The 3 little percents you were mentioning would be swept out of the way real fast. And making more of a difference would draw attention.

Fourthly, 3% isn't enough for manipulating the prices on a market with such a volatility. And wouldn't explain what is happening now.

So... Still waiting for something more believable, sorry.

abcdave

Activity: 22

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 01:48:29 PM

I'm sorry, but that just doesn't explain anything.

Firstly, you're accusing Mt Gox to be doing stuff that they were not doing. The still ongoing investigation shows something quite different.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/police-suspect-mt-gox-bitcoin-theft-was-an-inside-job/
--> Bitcoin theft, not bitcoin scam.

I'm sure it was an inside job and it wouldn't surprise me if Karpales himself was behind it, but I still also belive fake trades were going on (again maybe this was also something to do with Mark).
seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 01:50:41 PM

Which exchange are you talking about? I know there's a bunch of trading bots executing micro transactions on bitstamp because of the temporary no-fee trading, but other than that I don't see anything else fishy...

I'm sure he means manipulators, which can also be exchange owners!

Dont tell me you dont see manipulation going here.....

Remember kids, fiat moves alot slower than btc. Its alot easier to manipulate market by trigger sell first
kolloh
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1023

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 05:10:49 PM

Arbitrage would balance out the other exchanges I'm sure if this were the case. Though, I am not sure this is actually going on at Bitstamp.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: