Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 07:02:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Calling $20 solid floor  (Read 2661 times)
Mellnik

Activity: 242
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 12:42:19 PM

1. You have weak hands.
2. It won't drop that low.
Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2015, 12:45:38 PM

But what if you are wrong and someday you will have to buy back the amount that you sold off at much higher price. The point that I want to state is that we can never so accurately predict what is going to happen next.

Chicago

Activity: 592
Merit: 259

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 12:47:23 PM

Hold on a second...

Comparing Bitcoin to the widespread adoption of the Internet would be akin to the following analogy.

----  We went from Internet being "expensive" to Internet being "cheap" and now we're going from Bitcoin being "expensive" to Bitcoin being "cheap".

How could this be?

Well, in the early days, maybe you paid $29.99 a month for 300bps access to CompuServe or Prodigy or God forbid AOL dialup.
    As the supply of bandwidth increased -- your cost went down.

Now you can buy 50Mbps for $50/mo. in some markets of the US and the prices are better or worse in other markets.

----

Back to Bitcoin.

----

Supply and demand economics say we're going to evaluate the November 2013 price of Bitcoin purely due to high demand and limited supply.
    Let's ignore the short cycle of the market.
    When the reward halving happens and the emission curve diminishes yet again we shall see a similar but exponentially greater increase in the price of Bitcoin.
    The reason the next reward halving will have an impact an order of magnitude greater is due to the market hopefully having grown thus the demand side of the equation will be much more broad.

----

This is where the comparison to the Internet stops dead in its tracks.

You can't increase the Bitcoin emission without breaking the social contract and its economic model and Money Supply.
    You can forever add more networks and fabric to the backbone of the Internet which stabilize the monthly ISP subscription fee.

One day, Bitcoin will either be a dead blockchain archived forever in a future Encyclopedia or it will be a commodity which has reached depletion and is being heavily traded by all peoples for any type of transaction.

Kind Regards,
-Chicago

Cummins59

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 01:36:26 PM

But what if you are wrong and someday you will have to buy back the amount that you sold off at much higher price. The point that I want to state is that we can never so accurately predict what is going to happen next.

Well you see, I will never "have" to buy BTC back because it will never bee a NWO currency. It can't be as it is too difficult for 99% of population to get into and then risk losing because of ZERO regulation. My prediction is that it WILL test $127 within then next week and if that does not have a rally from there....LTFO because he comes the $20's.

Actually this is based on simple charting combined with ZERO positive news.

mlferro

Activity: 252

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 02:34:03 PM

1. You have weak hands.
I also think that. But if  happening, will be slowly.

God Donut (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 03:15:17 PM

1. You have weak hands.

1. I wish I had weaker hands so I'd sell few months earlier
2. What makes you think it won't?
njcarlos

Activity: 280

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 03:48:56 PM

Guys, just ignore these posts. Why do you insist on interacting with these idiots? They're still posting on a bitcoin forum about being "done" with bitcoin (or some other ridiculous state of affairs like $20/BTC). Don't you see the stupidity here? First they were too stupid to get out for their own liking, lost money, and now they're too stupid to stop wasting their fucking time on an asset they now despise and don't value. At the core, they're stupid, so stop interacting with these fucking idiots.
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 03:53:03 PM

Guys, just ignore these posts. Why do you insist on interacting with these idiots? They're still posting on a bitcoin forum about being "done" with bitcoin (or some other ridiculous state of affairs like $20/BTC). Don't you see the stupidity here? First they were too stupid to get out for their own liking, lost money, and now they're too stupid to stop wasting their fucking time on an asset they now despise and don't value. At the core, they're stupid, so stop interacting with these fucking idiots.

This exact statement was said like 100 times about $200 6 months ago.
God Donut (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 04:05:02 PM

You mad bro? Cheesy I can feel your pain. I'd be as mad as you are seeing my savings melt like this. I am just alerting people. It may be a good time to sell now coz bitcoin price dropping every day for almost a year now.

I never said i'm done with bitcoin. I am willing to buy back my bitcoins when the price is about $20 as I believe it is the rock bottom everyone is looking for. Even if you believe in bitcoin there is no point in losing your money during this bubble burst.
Mirdude

Activity: 319

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 04:06:53 PM

Dropped from £170 to £128 in the last 2 days, what is this market lol.
chesthing
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 04:07:48 PM

Calling people names won't change your situation dude.
njcarlos

Activity: 280

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 04:15:26 PM

Calling people names won't change your situation dude.
I'm not looking for it to change my situation. Just making a statement.
ramkumar

Activity: 603
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 04:36:07 PM

We are going up.

meh, meh.
God Donut (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 06:31:08 PM

its not going up any time soon. Unfortunately the price will get lower and lower until it matches the actual transaction volume
elephantas1

Activity: 378

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 06:33:14 PM

its not going up any time soon. Unfortunately the price will get lower and lower until it matches the actual transaction volume
what do you mean transaction volume what the price would be then? am i missing something?
dinofelis

Activity: 770
Merit: 629

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 06:47:05 PM
Last edit: January 14, 2015, 06:58:21 PM by dinofelis

However 20$ seems a little far fetched. Also the logic that market cap should equal transaction volume seems a lil flawed.

Nope, it is monetary theory.  If a monetary asset serves the purpose, and only serves the purpose, of buying stuff with, then its value (in fact, the inverse: the price of the goods expressed in that monetary asset) can easily be found using P x Q = M x V.

It's simple bookkeeping:

"the amount of money over the counter"  = "the total price of all the goods and services bought with it"  (in a given period).

The amount of money over the counter = the amount of money existing, times the average number of times a same unit has been spend.   That is M x V.  M = the amount of money existing, V is the average number of times the same unit is spent (in the given period).  It is also called the VELOCITY of the money.  V = 1/T, where T is the average holding time (in number of periods).

If the considered period is 1 year, and a coin gets spend on average 12 times per year (once a month), then the velocity is 12.  The holding time is 1/12 (of a year which is a month).

If there are 1000 coins, and they are on average spend 12 times a year, then 12 000 coins went over the counter to buy stuff with that year.

That must then be equal to the total price of goods that was bought, which is P x Q, where Q is a "reference good" and P is the price of the reference good.  Say that the reference good is "a loaf of bread", then the total amount of goods (expressed in equivalent loafs of bread) exchanged in a year is Q, and P is then the price of a loaf of bread.

P x Q is nothing else but the total price of all the goods that was bought, so it must be 12 000 coins too.

Hence, M x V = P x Q

Example: if the total amount of goods bought with bitcoin is $20 billion a year, and a bitcoin is held on average 14 days, then V is about 25.  M being 15 million (coins) we have that M x V = 375 million (coins traded a year).

If we take as "reference good" something that's worth $1.0 we have:

375 million = P x $20 billion.

P is the price (in bitcoin) of the reference good (worth $1).  So 1/P is the price of a bitcoin.

We find: 1/P = 20 000 / 375 = $53.3

So if bitcoin is used to buy 20 billion worth per year, and coins are on average held 14 days between a trade, the price of a coin should be $53.

What we have is that a lot of coins were held a lot longer, but a lot less stuff was bought with it.
It was not really used as a currency.

williamevanl

Activity: 404
Merit: 253

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 07:25:08 PM

$20 ?!!?! The floor is 27$

Should be interesting...
Cummins59

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 12:01:49 AM

$20 ?!!?! The floor is 27$

Should be interesting...

The floor is nearing $127.00 then down to the $20's
af_newbie
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 1468

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2015, 12:07:43 AM

I love bitcoin and I believe its a game changer. But currently its a bubble.

It had its chance to go down to $20 or whatever many months after crashing from $266.  If we go that low again its cause its over.

His thinking is: we are falling from 1200 so the momentum should carry us below $70.

I think it is wishful thinking.  We will see a lot of buying in the 100-150 range

leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 12:09:36 AM

Very few people use bitcoin right now. It is still new and unknown technology.
You may see daily transaction volume
https://blockchain.info/charts/estimated-transaction-volume-usd
Market cap should be about this size

I do beleive that bitcoin (or similar decentralized currency) is going to be used by billions of people all over the world in not too distant future. But today bitcoin is still very new and unknown to the world and this is why current BTC prices are too damn high. Its a bubble which is bursting right now

you are joking arent you?

this is circular logic, the transaction volume is also function of price, click on long term to see that

moreover, the transaction volume is mostly internal masturbation (inside BTC world), because adoption is still extremely low

there are calculations, comparing btc price to transaction volumes in credit cards, paypal or wire transfers etc: ranging from 4 to 5 digit prices for BTC to achieve that.

Truth is the new hatespeech.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: