Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you agree with this?
Yes - 47 (81%)
No - 11 (19%)
Total Voters: 58

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bring back Newbie Jail  (Read 2385 times)
Parazyd (OP)

Activity: 812
Merit: 587

Space Lord

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2015, 11:58:00 AM

This may just be considered as a rant...

I'd like to see the old Newbie Jail brought back up and running. There's been way too much newbie accounts spamming all around the forums with all kinds of schemes, asking for loans and what the hell not.

For those that aren't familiar with the term "Newbie Jail":
It's the only subsection of the forum where newbies can post for a certain amount of time and/or until you get a required amount of posts.

This used to exist, and was requested a few times again. I'd like to request it again.

Some ideas for the jail:
  • Able to get out of jail when Jr. Member status achieved
  • Able to get out of jail earlier if 2+ members confirm it somehow
  • A button that ignores all the newbies in the forum and automatically unignores them when they go past the Newbie status

I know this might make the forum seem like some kind of an "elitist" place, but there's just too much people crowding up the forum with all kinds of crap.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 2346

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 01:26:30 PM

I think the newbie jail as previously implemented detered users from joining our community.

I would support some kind of modified newbie jail that maybe had certain restrictions in posting and/or creating threads in certain sections.
goozman96

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 02:44:29 PM

I don't think it deterred them from joining. They still had to join then realize they are in jail for X amount of time. I guess it could deter them from staying and working their way out of jail. But then again, anyone who wouldn't be willing to put in the effort would probably be a low quality user anyway, IMO.

BTC: 19DKtsdGfQyFzNiEze9KuFQrWGiLDvg6F1 | LTC: LbV6UGyjYbVP49NvQFmuAnkADcaFYvNagK | NMC: NDCdMJmTmGH54Cezmo3CwSxAC7grAoZJbj
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 02:47:50 PM

I think the same , so I've voted for yes. At least take part  in the "forum activity" and after start to open your thread.  It  prevents the multiple loans request , ponzi , and scam.
--Encrypted--
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1007

hee-ho.

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 03:00:40 PM

I don't know about this newbie jail because I've never experienced it. but if this prevents lending threads or trolling by one day old users then my answer is "yes".

maybe modify it a bit/add some exceptions so that users that registered as a representative of their site can post right away.
Mirdude

Activity: 319
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 03:04:04 PM

I'd vote for this as it seems like a good idea to stop them from the spam.
kuusj98

Merit: 1000

I <3 VW Beetles

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 03:05:04 PM

Please implement it again!
The amount of rubbish posts or users creating fake accounts is just too damn high...
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2015, 06:00:26 PM

Well this certainly wouldn't be the first time that we have asked for its return. However this might be the first thread that has a poll (unsure).
Despite of the obvious request by the community, the staff isn't doing anything about it. The question is why?

Note: I've obviously voted yes.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
expert4knowledge

Activity: 826

The All-in-One Cryptocurrency Exchange

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 06:22:03 PM

I do not support that type of jail but some strict limitations on numbers of posts,.. seems a prerequisite for users of this forum.

██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
                ▄███
              ▄███▌ █
             ▀▀▀██▄  █
           ▄███▄▄ ▀▀▀█
          █ █████▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄██ ███▄    █
        ▐███▀   ▀█   █
        ████     █   █
       ▄██▀▄█▄▄▄█▀   █
       ▀▄▄███▌      █
   ▄▄▄▀▀▀████       █
 ▄▀    ██ ██       █
▐▌     ██▌▐▌      ▀▄
█      ██ █         ▀▄
█      █▀▄▌          █
█   ▄▀█▄██           █
█ ▄▀      ▀▀▄▄▀▄     █
▀▀             █    █
               █  ▄▀
               ▀▄█
     ▀█████████████▄▄
  ▀ ▀▀▀███████████████▌
   ▀ ▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀▀▀▀██████         ▄███████▄      ▄▄███████▄    ▄███▄    ▄███▄ ▄███▄      ▄███▄
▀ ▀▀▀▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▌       ▄████▀▀▀████▄   ▐████▀▀█████   ▀████▄  ▄████▀ █████▄    ▄█████
    ▀▀███████████████▀       █████     ████▌          ████▌    ▀████████▀    █████▄  ▄█████▌
   ▀ ▀████████████████▀ ▀    ██████████████▌   ▄▄██████████     ▄██████▄      █████▄▄█████▌
     ██████      ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀ █████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    █████▀▀▀█████    ▄████████▄      ██████████▌
     ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▄ ▄    ████▄▄   ▄▄█▄   ████▄  ▄█████  ▄█████▀▀█████▄     ████████▌
     █████████████████▀        ▀███████████   ▀████████████  ████▀    ▀████      ██████▌
     ██████████████▀▀             ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀       ▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀    ▀▀        ▀▀        █████
                                                                                ▄█████
                                                                            ▄███████▀
                                                                            ▀████▀▀
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
|█████████████████
███████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
  WHITEPAPER 
  LIGHTPAPER...
|Instant Deposit
✓ 24/7 Support
Referral Program
irfan_pak10
Legendary

Activity: 3234
Merit: 1654

Enterapp Pre-Sale Live - bit.ly/3UrMCWI

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2015, 06:57:57 PM

Voted and +1 your idea. I liked it because u wanted this forum working at its best. Today i checked the lending section i saw many newbi looking for a loan of 20, 50 and more amount of btc with red trust.

█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████
██████▀███████████▀██████
█████▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀█████
████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████
██████▄███████████▄██████
█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████████
█████████████████████

CRYPTO WEBNEOBANK    
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄██████░░░░░░░░░░███▄
▄████▄▄███████▄▄░░░██▄
▄█████████████████░░░██▄
████░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░██
████░░██████████░░░░░░░██
████░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░██
▀█████████████████░░░██▀
▀████▀▀███████▀▀░░░██▀
▀██████░░░░░░░░░░███▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
redsn0w
Legendary

#Free market

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 07:01:57 PM

Voted and +1 your idea. I liked it because u wanted this forum working at its best. Today i checked the lending section i saw many newbi looking for a loan of 20, 50 and more amount of btc with red trust.
Every day at least 5-6 newbie  ask for a loan in the lending section , I don't tell  : NO   ; but at least provide a valid collateral and put it  in a trusted escrow.

Also those new ponzi schemes , I don't think the forum *should* prevent this type of thread ( a negative feedback is not the right way to stop them).
Parazyd (OP)

Space Lord

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2015, 07:08:11 PM

Every day at least 5-6 newbie  ask for a loan in the lending section , I don't tell  : NO   ; but at least provide a valid collateral and put it  in a trusted escrow.

This.
Today someone asked for a 25 BTC loan. Offered "his" car as collateral. I asked for the car's papers and a photo ID to prove it. Never got a reply.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=411787;sa=showPosts
redsn0w
Legendary

#Free market

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 07:13:40 PM

Every day at least 5-6 newbie  ask for a loan in the lending section , I don't tell  : NO   ; but at least provide a valid collateral and put it  in a trusted escrow.

This.
Today someone asked for a 25 BTC loan. Offered "his" car as collateral. I asked for the car's papers and a photo ID to prove it. Never got a reply.

That's insane Grin. I think the forum should forbid to a newbie to start a thread ("at least" until he will become a Jr. member ). 
PolarPoint

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 07:23:15 PM

I voted no, because I think it is a bad idea to cage genuine newbies with potential scammers in a beginners subforum. The rest of the forum will be cleaner, less trolls but newbies will be scammed more easily. I am sick of fud and troll posts too, newbie jail is not a good solution.
Parazyd (OP)

Space Lord

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2015, 07:26:58 PM

I voted no, because I think it is a bad idea to cage genuine newbies with potential scammers in a beginners subforum. The rest of the forum will be cleaner, less trolls but newbies will be scammed more easily. I am sick of fud and troll posts too, newbie jail is not a good solution.

Not at all.
Why do you think lending/trading/etc. threads would even be allowed in the newbie section?
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 2346

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 07:38:51 PM

This.

That's insane Grin. I think the forum should forbid to a newbie to start a thread ("at least" until he will become a Jr. member ). 
I would agree with this, especially in some of the marketplace threads like lending and currency exchange where the newbie scammers like to create threads the most.

I would say they should be able to create threads in places like Bitcoin discussion, meta, politics, economics, and altcoin section (except marketplace) as they may want to start/have a controversial discussion they might not want associated with their identity.

redsn0w
Legendary

#Free market

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 07:42:25 PM

This.

I would agree with this, especially in some of the marketplace threads like lending and currency exchange where the newbie scammers like to create threads the most.

I would say they should be able to create threads in places like Bitcoin discussion, meta, politics, economics, and altcoin section (except marketplace) as they may want to start/have a controversial discussion they might not want associated with their identity.

Yes of course , in the forum section where he wants to learn about bitcoin ... not open a thread  in the marketplace section ( or other) to try scam someone.
niktitan132
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 08:50:54 PM

This.

Yes of course , in the forum section where he wants to learn about bitcoin ... not open a thread  in the marketplace section ( or other) to try scam someone.

I agree with this.

The newbie jail should be back.There is too much scams and scam attempts,fud,trolling...going on this forum.The scammers would then need to put a lot more effort to scam and probably half of them would give up before they get out of newbie jail.In theory that should work,we will see.

Or they will start to buy accounts which are not in newbie jail.
CrackedLogic
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 09:07:57 PM

I really want newbie jail to come back. Newbie jail can come back and newbies can have a post limit per section per day for everything that's not inside of the jail.

• A button that ignores all the newbies in the forum and automatically unignores them when they go past the Newbie status

This^. If no newbie jail, I'd like this please.

Shocked BUY GAMESWITHBTCITCOINFORDISCOUNTEDPRICES Shocked
runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 12:56:10 AM

Another vote FOR newbie jail.  Terrible at the moment -- the price crash seems to have brought fresh waves of new accounts, no surprise there.

The ignore-all-newbies button/option is an interesting one, but the newbie jail was good because the genuine newbie questions were, for the most part, answered.  I actually found it very useful.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: