Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 12:31:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trying to buy Bitcoin, Exchanges not selling near current price ???  (Read 886 times)
Greenfiend235 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 01:56:40 AM

Hey guys newbie to the bitcoin world but i have always liked the idea of it.

I have been trying to buy some bitcoins as the price is low.
However !, when i go to buy some bitcoins the price people / exchanges are selling them at are not even near the current market value?

how can i buy bitcoin for what they are worth rather than adding on  5-10% ontop just to buy them?

e.g: current price is : USD-185.96 (NZD-244.98) yet when i try buy i am being changed USD-203.42 (NZD-267.98)

is there another option to buy bitcoin wheres i don't get ripped off so hard?
Troonetpt

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 03:35:35 AM

You can set a price to buy(usually low than the current price), then wait same one sell it to you.
Or you can buy it instantly at the current price.
blg425

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 04:32:48 AM

Also what exchange and what country are you from, I'm willing to provide some options

MichaelBliss

Activity: 526
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 04:38:10 AM

Price is about $200 USD on bitfinex atm.  You could wait and your arbitrage across the exchanges will equalize the prices, or you can just buy now if you think the price will bounce up from here. 
fildza

Ask me anything if you have any problem

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2015, 05:06:25 AM

Have you search at localbitcoin around your place live?

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
twister

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2015, 05:41:24 AM

I don't know what exchange is that but I have seen some exchanges manipulating prices. They increase it for Buyers and lower it for Sellers.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
mrhelpful
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 06:46:16 AM

If you are in the us try coinbase or localbitcoins.com which is your best bet.

A good tip, if you become a regular with the sellers on meeting up on localbitcoins.com you can get it for the exchange rate being a loyal buyer. Its what I did, with a fellow miner.
rio3232

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 06:53:42 AM

where do u from ?
U can sell it to your local seller/buyer. in my country there's a website who sell and buy bitcoins.
try to search n find your country website who sell/buy bitcoins. maybe u find it Grin
Greenfiend235 (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 07:19:03 AM

Hey all!

thanks for replying.

I am in New Zealand and i have used  igot  but they charge too much.. all the local sites also charge a ripp-off price
Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 07:48:48 PM

What exchange are you using?

If it is a local exchanges, chances are the prices will be different, depending of the local demand-supply ratio. In some places the difference might be big.
Madness

Activity: 644

My goal is becaming a billionaire.

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2015, 07:51:36 PM

Hey guys newbie to the bitcoin world but i have always liked the idea of it.

I have been trying to buy some bitcoins as the price is low.
However !, when i go to buy some bitcoins the price people / exchanges are selling them at are not even near the current market value?

how can i buy bitcoin for what they are worth rather than adding on  5-10% ontop just to buy them?

e.g: current price is : USD-185.96 (NZD-244.98) yet when i try buy i am being changed USD-203.42 (NZD-267.98)

is there another option to buy bitcoin wheres i don't get ripped off so hard?

Most of people using Preev.com or Bitsmap rates . 10% - 15% no more (know that the price keep rising & dropping)
You can always try to check localbitcoins.com using whatever method do you like . otherwise post here on "Currency exchange" section and put what rates you are looking for and what payment method you are planning to use and just wait for people . just watch out from scams

PolarPoint

Activity: 672

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 08:00:52 PM

That is the bid/offer mechanism at work. Try a larger exchange and bid/offer spread will be smaller. Personally, I wouldn't care about 5% to 10% if you are in bitcoin for the long haul. Choose a local trustworthy exchange.
kwaasteniet

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 08:24:28 PM

You can try Cryptsy or Kraken.
The only point is how you get your dollars there. Mostly i cost you a few days.
fildza

Ask me anything if you have any problem

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2015, 10:47:17 PM

If you really want it just do the mark of price you want and wait the price go down.

▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
Haunting Clown

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 11:22:20 PM

Create a buy order most exchanges allow you to do that or you could jst try local bitcoins some people are up for lowering their asking price.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3274

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 12:01:50 AM

Let me be the first to answer your question.

TL;DR: Exchanges and prices are a lot more complicated than you think.

There is no "current price". The prices on each exchange are different from those on every other exchange. What you are referring to as the "current price" is either:
  • the price of the last trade on a particular exchange, or
  • an average of prices of trades on several exchanges.
So, it is not at all unusual that the price on your exchange is different than your "current price".

Furthermore, there is actually no "current price" on an exchange. There are two prices:
  • the "bid" price, which is the highest price that buyers have advertised, and
  • the "ask" price, which is the lowest price that sellers have advertised.

If you want to buy immediately, you can buy at the ask price. If you want to buy at a particular price your price gets added to the list of bids, and someone will sell to you at your price when it becomes the highest of all the bids.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
cinnamon_carter
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

It's about time -- All merrit accepted !!!

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2015, 12:04:22 AM

I never purchased btc for traditional money but what does this tell you if true ( and i believe him)

Check out my coin Photon
Merge Mine 5 other Blake 256 coins - 6x your hash power  https://www.blakecoin.org/

The obvious choice is not always the best choice.

LOOK DEEPER - Look into the Blake 256 Family -- CC
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: