Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:52:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: why did trade hill give up?  (Read 3588 times)
paulie_w (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 05:56:55 PM

i have been away from the bitcoin scene for a while and just catching up on everything.

why did trade hill shut down, the actual reasons? they seemed very promising.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BoardGameCoin

Activity: 283

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 05:58:50 PM

The way I heard it was that someone fraudulently purchased upwards of $100K worth of BTC on their exchange via Dwolla, and Dwolla charged Tradehill back for it. There's apparently a lawsuit filed by TradeHill against Dwolla for this action, haven't heard anything for several months though.

I'm selling great Minion Games like The Manhattan Project, Kingdom of Solomon and Venture Forth at 4% off retail starting June 2012. PM me or go to my thread in the Marketplace if you're interested.

For Settlers/Dominion/Carcassone etc., I do email gift cards on Amazon for a 5% fee. PM if you're interested.
barbarousrelic

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 06:35:04 PM

Does anyone know why this was a problem with Tradehill but not MtGox?

Do not waste your time debating whether Bitcoin can work. It does work.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 06:40:57 PM

We don't know if it wasn't a problem with MtGox.  We just know if it was, they weren't crippled by it.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
EnergyVampire

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 07:04:50 PM

i have been away from the bitcoin scene for a while and just catching up on everything.

why did trade hill shut down, the actual reasons? they seemed very promising.

A few online articles go into some of the details:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/03/lawsuit-illustrates-bitcoins-chargeback-problem/

http://www.americanbanker.com/issues/177_46/dwolla-bitcoin-exchange-tradehill-lawsuit-1047292-1.html

http://www.scribd.com/doc/84125326/Tradehill-v-Dwolla-Et-Al-Complaint-Filed-Copy

If I understood the most recent documents I read (Filed May 31st, 2012), the case was DISMISSED in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California. Case3:12-cv-01082-MMC Document34 Filed 05/31/2012

rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 07:20:07 PM

According to the documents here: http://dockets.justia.com/docket/california/candce/3:2012cv01082/252135/

Dwolla filed a motion to compel Tradehill to submit to arbitration, and the case was dismissed because of that, if I am reading it correctly.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
EnergyVampire

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 07:50:45 PM

According to the documents here: http://dockets.justia.com/docket/california/candce/3:2012cv01082/252135/

Dwolla filed a motion to compel Tradehill to submit to arbitration, and the case was dismissed because of that, if I am reading it correctly.

So only Dwolla's motion was dismissed not Tradehill's entire case?

This would make more sense to me, since I believe Tradehill will win the case. Although, I'm still confused as to why Tradehill or any other exchange based in the USA would allow custormers to use Dwolla, Paypal, Liberty Reserve, etc to fund their accounts. As far as I know, standard practice for RL brokerage firms is customer's bank account to brokerage's bank account and vice-versa.

kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 07:53:42 PM

Dwolla's motion lead to Tradehill's entire case to be dismissed.
This would make more sense to me, since I believe Tradehill will win the case. Although, I'm still confused as to why Tradehill or any other exchange based in the USA would allow custormers to use Dwolla, Paypal, Liberty Reserve, etc to fund their accounts. As far as I know, standard practice for RL brokerage firms is customer's bank account to brokerage's bank account and vice-versa.

Dwolla was supposed to be irreversible. Turn out, it is not.

jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 07:55:43 PM

Dwolla decided to erase transactions from already issued account statements to hide the fact they were taking money back out of the accounts. They should count themselves lucky they're not facing criminal charges.
opticbit

Activity: 695
Merit: 502

PGP: 6EBEBCE1E0507C38

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2012, 08:56:05 PM

why do you include LR in the list?  I thought they did not reverse charges.

Bitrated user: opticbit.
https://www.bitrated.com/opticbit
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 09:15:20 PM

He said RL not LR, as in Real Life not Liberty Reserve.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2012, 09:24:16 PM

He said RL not LR, as in Real Life not Liberty Reserve.

He said "Liberty Reserve"

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
EnergyVampire

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 09:41:49 PM
Last edit: July 10, 2012, 10:37:53 PM by EnergyVampire

lol, You guys are going to derail this thread!  Cheesy

I did lump Liberty Reserve with Paypal, Dwolla, etc in the group as examples of funding options I've seen at some exchanges in the past.

RL= Real Life

I used the RL example because the U.S. brokerage disclosures, documents, FAQs clearly state Bank-to-Bank or Brokerage-to-Brokerage transactions only (exception is stock certificates & Treasuries). I have never heard of anyone using Paypal to do this either and most of these brokerages don't accept cash because of money laundering, fraud, regulations, etc.

Hope this clears it up, sorry for the confusion.

Cheers!

Edit: Clarified further

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2012, 09:53:38 PM

Gee I dunno. Why is Dwolla on the list, they explicitly announced in writing that they would not reverse charges...

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
nedbert9

Activity: 252

Inactive

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 10:08:36 PM

It's unfortunate that Dwolla isn't suffering legal consequences due to misleading their customers.

edit:

Too bad a benefactor didn't come around to help Trade Hill out of the pit.  Sad for such a young kid's impressive project to get f***ed by arguably disreputable business.

rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 12:46:06 AM

He said "Liberty Reserve"
Derp, sorry I fail.

redbeans2012

Activity: 887
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 03:01:21 AM

Hm I can't believe dwolla will get away with this.  I really liked the tradehill guys.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 03:03:32 AM

Who said TradeHill gave up......?  Grin

They're currently not operating, but have an extremely strong case (should be resolved some time before the Rapture, thanks to an efficient US justice system), and Jered does not give up.
dooglus
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 07:06:13 AM

We don't know if it wasn't a problem with MtGox.  We just know if it was, they weren't crippled by it.

We don't even know that.  They apparently take weeks to honour bank wire USD withdrawals, and blame it on something to do with Dwolla.  Maybe they were crippled by it but are trying to trade their way out of the mess...

Just-Dice                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
██████████████████████████████