Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 11:36:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Are You Greek?
Yes, and I live in Greece! - 93 (63.3%)
Yes, and I live in a different country! - 11 (7.5%)
No, but I live in Greece! - 3 (2%)
No, but I frequently travel to Greece! - 3 (2%)
No, but I live in Greece part of the year! - 1 (0.7%)
No, but I can't resist participating in a poll! - 35 (23.8%)
No, but I own property in Greece! - 1 (0.7%)
Total Voters: 147

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ελλάς (Greece)  (Read 38040 times)
luffy

Activity: 607
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 01:17:09 PM

difficulty in Greece is rising like BTC difficulty  Cheesy
lets see where it ends!
Digital currencies are not very popular at the moment, lets wait for bank collapsing and then we are talking!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Serenata

Activity: 250
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2012, 08:43:58 PM

Has anyone tried to buy Bitcoins from Greece?

Most Greek bank clerks haven't even heard about SEPA (they are completely useless and unprofessional) and even those that know about it as for 8-15 euros per transaction, so unless I am buying 1000 euros worth of bitcoins it's not really worth it.

Other ways?

I could try with Paypal over OTR or find someone on the forums first (in hopes that he will trust me and consider the PayPal transaction risk free) but Paypal will be my last resort.

Emporiki Bank is charging 0,50 euro for SEPA transfers, so is Εθνική (National Bank). Speaking about web banking of course, I've no idea how much it is at the counter.
Avoid Paypal at all costs. They could freeze your account if they ever learn about it. You could also consider localbitcoins.com

BitcoinX.gr - Το ελληνικό στέκι του Bitcoin

My GPG Key
Tritonio

Activity: 640

Vanity of vanities; all is vanity...

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 09:53:11 AM

Other ways?

I could try with Paypal over OTR or find someone on the forums first (in hopes that he will trust me and consider the PayPal transaction risk free) but Paypal will be my last resort.

Emporiki Bank is charging 0,50 euro for SEPA transfers, so is Εθνική (National Bank). Speaking about web banking of course, I've no idea how much it is at the counter.
Avoid Paypal at all costs. They could freeze your account if they ever learn about it. You could also consider localbitcoins.com

Thanks Seranata. I also noticed at the same time that my web banking charges 0.5 euros to send to Slovenia (bitstamp.net). I think I'll give bitstamp a try today. On the counter they charge 18 euros. WTF???

Also if anyone has suggestions about exchanges that he/she has used, I'm interested to hear about them.
luffy

Activity: 607

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 11:42:54 AM

web banking is the most friendly and low cost way to sent/receive money. i find winbank very user friendly by using mtgox exchange (wire and SEPA)
Tritonio

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 12:09:07 PM

web banking is the most friendly and low cost way to sent/receive money. i find winbank very user friendly by using mtgox exchange (wire and SEPA)

I am also using winbank. OK I'll SEPA from there to Bitstamp.
imanikin (OP)

Activity: 702
Merit: 503

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 12:31:57 AM

...speaking of Greek banks, will be interesting what if anything the Bank of Greece and the Greek bankers will say regarding the ECB VC report:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=121187.msg1305601#msg1305601

TEM doesn't respond, but maybe the bankers will...  Cheesy

Tritonio

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 10:16:22 AM

So I did a SEPA transfer to Bitstamp using Winbank (Piraeus' ebanking system) costed me 0.5euros. It took about 3 bussiness days (5 days in total because of the weekend) for Bitstamp to deposite the money to my account. I sent about 100 euros which got converted to USD by Bitstamp for free (with quite a good conversion rate; I mean if I let my bank do the conversion instead it would cost me more) and then I paid 0.5% fee to buy bitcoins with an instant order which took about 10 minutes or so. So everything went smooth, if anyone from Greece want to buy bitcoins, bitstamp looks like a nice solution (Mt Gox needs verification and stuff).

@imanikin: how do you even email the CEO of a greek bank? :-D Cause anyone under him will probably have never heard of bitcoin. I mean, the clerks haven't heard of SEPA so it would take at least being a CEO to know about Bitcoin. :-P
imanikin (OP)

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 01:59:35 PM
Last edit: October 30, 2012, 02:40:23 PM by imanikin

@imanikin: how do you even email the CEO of a greek bank? :-D Cause anyone under him will probably have never heard of bitcoin. I mean, the clerks haven't heard of SEPA so it would take at least being a CEO to know about Bitcoin. :-P
Agreed. None of those people read their own emails...  Embarrassed

I guess, the place to start might be just to email the Bank of Greece or any other bank with a link to that ECB paper, and ask them for an official position on Bitcoin...  Huh

Serenata

Activity: 250
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2012, 06:00:33 PM

So I did a SEPA transfer to Bitstamp using Winbank (Piraeus' ebanking system) costed me 0.5euros. It took about 3 bussiness days (5 days in total because of the weekend) for Bitstamp to deposite the money to my account. I sent about 100 euros which got converted to USD by Bitstamp for free (with quite a good conversion rate; I mean if I let my bank do the conversion instead it would cost me more) and then I paid 0.5% fee to buy bitcoins with an instant order which took about 10 minutes or so. So everything went smooth, if anyone from Greece want to buy bitcoins, bitstamp looks like a nice solution (Mt Gox needs verification and stuff).
I wouldn't mind trying that out. Which bank does bitstamp use and where is it located?

Funny sidenote, Millennium Bank charges 5% for SEPA! I got in contact telling them that other banks have a modest fee of 50 cents and they just replied that it is their policy to charge that. I wonder how those people are still in business... >.<

BitcoinX.gr - Το ελληνικό στέκι του Bitcoin

My GPG Key
Tritonio

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 01:37:41 AM

I wouldn't mind trying that out. Which bank does bitstamp use and where is it located?

Funny sidenote, Millennium Bank charges 5% for SEPA! I got in contact telling them that other banks have a modest fee of 50 cents and they just replied that it is their policy to charge that. I wonder how those people are still in business... >.<

Also Τράπεζα Κύπρου (Bank of Cyprus) phones you to ask why you send money abroad. And they say it's illegal to send money abroad using bank transfer (like SEPA or the common internation transfer) to buy good or services.
pazor
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 01:27:36 PM

it is illegal to use your own money ?
it is illegal to use a paid bank service to transfer your own money with a international transfer protocol (SEPA) ?
it is illegal to transfer amounts lower than 10k € ?

why they offer a paid bank service to their clients if its illegal ?

bullshit !

μας δουλεύουν, ρεεεεεε....

treuhand-Dienst gewünscht? - frag per PM an
BTC 174X17nR7vEQBQo4GXKRGMGaTmB49Gf1yT
Tritonio

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 02:24:26 AM

it is illegal to use your own money ?
it is illegal to use a paid bank service to transfer your own money with a international transfer protocol (SEPA) ?
it is illegal to transfer amounts lower than 10k € ?

why they offer a paid bank service to their clients if its illegal ?

bullshit !

μας δουλεύουν, ρεεεεεε....

Well it's legal for very specific cases like sending money to a friend or a student abroad. Utter bullshit as you said. All banks I've heard of don't ask about the reason why you send money. ESPECIALLY for amounts like 100 euros... Yet that one does. So if you intend to buy BTC you should think twice before using Κύπρου.
pazor
Legendary

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 07:28:12 AM

which mining pools do you use in greece ?
how much is your power rate there ?

pazor
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 08:34:35 AM

lol
 Cheesy

btw... it is a virtual coin.
 Wink

Tritonio

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 06:16:55 PM

which mining pools do you use in greece ?
how much is your power rate there ?

Power is getting more expensive here latelly. Not sure how up to date this is: http://www.ionianeco.gr/thermanse/thermanse/deixreosi.html
So it goes from 0,08436 EUR/KWh to 0,14798.
I'll find a bill and see the exact prices.

I used to use Mt Red just for fun.
imanikin (OP)

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 02:41:25 PM

Seems that "Grexit" is postponed about a year.  Undecided

imanikin (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 06:53:45 PM

Does anyone have comments regarding the greek references in this article?

Tritonio

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 07:37:54 PM

Does anyone have comments regarding the greek references in this article?

The fact that virtual currencies are beginning to affect financial markets and are being used by the Greek government to trade, shows their importance.

Which virtual currency do they use exactly? Ven? (BTW I've never heard about Ven before)
imanikin (OP)

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 01:24:23 AM

The fact that virtual currencies are beginning to affect financial markets and are being used by the Greek government to trade, shows their importance.
Which virtual currency do they use exactly? Ven? (BTW I've never heard about Ven before)
Yes, that was my question for you guys: if anyone in the .gr space mentioned the Greek gov and VC's before. I had heard of Ven before, but not in conjunction with anything Greek.

The closest thing to VC in Greece, as far as i know was TEM.  Smiley

Tritonio

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 01:55:42 PM
Last edit: December 01, 2012, 02:46:00 PM by Tritonio

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ven_(currency)
Ven is a global virtual currency used by members of a social network service, Hub Culture, to buy, share and trade knowledge, goods and services. It is the first virtual currency to be used in the financial markets and the first used in commodity and carbon credit trading. Ven can be spent at Hub Culture Pavilions or used for micropayments on the Internet at large.[1] The value of Ven is determined on the financial markets from a basket of currencies, commodities and carbon futures. It trades against other major currencies at floating exchange rates.

Not that out government is sane in any way but why would they trust the virtual currency of a social network based in Hong Kong?

EDIT: I thought you meant VC = Ven. Sorry. Disregard my message.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: