Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:11:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin's dependence on state backed currencies is its undoing  (Read 786 times)
revans (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 10:38:43 PM

It's no small irony that a community so disparaging of existing currencies (particularly the USD) have made an idol of something which absolutely depends on them. From miners selling their coins to cover costs, to the ridiculous conceit  which sees people buy Bitcoins with dollars and then pay for goods via BitPay to a merchant who is then paid in dollars.

Bitcoin has an identity crisis; it's the post fiat currency which is entirely dependent on fiat currency. It seems people are beginning to realise that their digital magic beans aren't going to usher in the brave new world they had hoped for.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shirkan

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 11:09:48 PM

I poop into the toilet since I am 2 years old. Most of the time it works just fine, why should I stop doing it now?

Old habits die hard, my friend

brokedummy
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 11:10:30 PM

At least with bitcoin we know the inflation schedule. With fiat currencies we don't know how many trillions more they will print and give to their cronies.
revans (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 11:12:42 PM

I poop into the toilet since I am 2 years old. Most of the time it works just fine, why should I stop doing it now?

Would it be indelicate of me to inquire as to what happens when it does not work fine?
shirkan

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 11:15:13 PM

Would it be indelicate of me to inquire as to what happens when it does not work fine?

in the forums it might be reffered to as a "flash dump"

EuroTrash

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 11:21:22 PM

<=== INSERT SMART SIGNATURE HERE ===>
shirkan

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 11:23:21 PM

that's what I am talking about!

the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 11:25:25 PM

It's no small irony that a community so disparaging of existing currencies (particularly the USD) have made an idol of something which absolutely depends on them. From miners selling their coins to cover costs, to the ridiculous conceit  which sees people buy Bitcoins with dollars and then pay for goods via BitPay to a merchant who is then paid in dollars.

Bitcoin has an identity crisis; it's the post fiat currency which is entirely dependent on fiat currency. It seems people are beginning to realise that their digital magic beans aren't going to usher in the brave new world they had hoped for.

Thinking realistically, I'm not sure what you expect.

This is one of many "chicken-and-egg" problems that BTC faces, and we've seen progress with respect to virtually all of them.  Other chicken-and-egg problems included the very first documented transaction (i.e. two pizzas for 10,000 BTC). merchant adoption prior to a solid user base, etc.  The chicken-and-egg problem you're describing is how to establish consensus of value of a distributed currency, and for that we need something to compare its value to (e.g. fiat currency).

You state, "It seems people are beginning to realize that their digital magic beans aren't going to usher in the blah blah blah."  I would say, "It seems some people haven't seriously considered the logistics of building a market around a new type of currency."

I think that if humanity had the wisdom to figure out how to build an economy for a decentralized currency without pegging it to fiat, we would have the wisdom to construct a functioning economy in the total absence of money, and we wouldn't need BTC.  The general idea behind BTC is to create a currency that essentially forces people to be fair and play nice.  Or, phrased another way, the idea is create a currency that prevents corruption and manipulation and/or makes such attempts transparent.
revans (OP)

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 12:04:34 AM

This is one of many "chicken-and-egg" problems that BTC faces, and we've seen progress with respect to virtually all of them.  Other chicken-and-egg problems included the very first documented transaction (i.e. two pizzas for 10,000 BTC). merchant adoption prior to a solid user base, etc.  The chicken-and-egg problem you're describing is how to establish consensus of value of a distributed currency, and for that we need something to compare its value to (e.g. fiat currency).

You state, "It seems people are beginning to realize that their digital magic beans aren't going to usher in the blah blah blah."  I would say, "It seems some people haven't seriously considered the logistics of building a market around a new type of currency."

I think that if humanity had the wisdom to figure out how to build an economy for a decentralized currency without pegging it to fiat, we would have the wisdom to construct a functioning economy in the total absence of money, and we wouldn't need BTC.  The general idea behind BTC is to create a currency that essentially forces people to be fair and play nice.  Or, phrased another way, the idea is create a currency that prevents corruption and manipulation and/or makes such attempts transparent.

Not doing so well on the preventing corruption front is it.
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 12:06:09 AM

This is transition, it will take years and all the while speculation will grind thus market up and down like a horror show (imho)

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 12:54:41 AM

It's no small irony that a community so disparaging of existing currencies (particularly the USD) have made an idol of something which absolutely depends on them. From miners selling their coins to cover costs, to the ridiculous conceit  which sees people buy Bitcoins with dollars and then pay for goods via BitPay to a merchant who is then paid in dollars.

I disagree.  The corrupt will always explore the boundaries of principle to find any holes in the fence, but if there are fewer holes then the corrupt have no choice but to play by the rules.

For example, I don't see anyone inflating BTC all willy-nilly.  Do you?
HarmonLi

Activity: 350

Honest 80s business!

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 12:58:09 AM

Just like we went down now, we may rise to the moon within a very small time frame. A very sharp movement, just like the Swiss Franc did now... It's very interesting to see stuff like that happen in the FIAT world, as well... That's new to me Cheesy

B.A.S.

Activity: 420
Merit: 117

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 01:42:12 AM

Give it time my friend. Give it time. All will be well in years to come.
leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 01:57:18 AM

haha I like you

....and this is NOT a bitcoin chart; EUR scamcoin lost 30% against CHF scamcoin. All scamcoins will approach inner value sooner or later.

Truth is the new hatespeech.
HarmonLi

Activity: 350

Honest 80s business!

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 02:00:16 AM

Interestingly they just seemed to have achieved parity! This makes it easier for people to transfer their EUR to a Swiss bank account when they're evading taxes  Tongue

poncho32

Activity: 316

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 02:16:28 AM

haha I like you

....and this is NOT a bitcoin chart; EUR scamcoin lost 30% against CHF scamcoin. All scamcoins will approach inner value sooner or later.

At this rate tourists will be paying 100 euros for three ice creams.
revans (OP)

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 02:47:32 AM

It's no small irony that a community so disparaging of existing currencies (particularly the USD) have made an idol of something which absolutely depends on them. From miners selling their coins to cover costs, to the ridiculous conceit  which sees people buy Bitcoins with dollars and then pay for goods via BitPay to a merchant who is then paid in dollars.

I disagree.  The corrupt will always explore the boundaries of principle to find any holes in the fence, but if there are fewer holes then the corrupt have no choice but to play by the rules.

For example, I don't see anyone inflating BTC all willy-nilly.  Do you?

Yup

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/CVE-2010-5139
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: