Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:47:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin dignity rule  (Read 2303 times)
Kettenmonster

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

bool eval(bool b){return b ? b==true : b==false;}

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 10:07:08 AM

... to enable me to pay=help him is nudging me. ...
That is simply your fault, thus no general rule needed.

The paining (sic!) is done with the QPainter class inside the paintEvent() method.
(source: my internet)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dr_nix

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 10:18:15 AM

I'd like to think of a bitcoin address as just another item in the 'personal information' list, like a regular address, phone number or email address. I think it should be an entry in a users profile. Then, when I feel the need to send somebody some money, I can just look it up and send some. Of course, people may also choose to not put it in public display, just as with phone numbers or email addresses. It depends on the situation, for instance one might not list it on a public forum like this. When it's listed in a profile, I definitely don't see it as solliciting for change.

I'd really like to have a bitcoin address for all my friends in my address book, then when I borrow something or have to make a quick transaction, I can just browse my smartphone for the right person and send some coins!
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2012, 10:26:29 AM

Having an address in your sig is handy. If I want to donate a little to someone (reasonably) anonymously, I don't want to have to message them about it.

Most of the donations I've received are completely anonymous. I've only had two PMs informing me of an intention to donate; only one of those went ahead.

The address isn't the issue. As Meni suggests, it is the public identifier for a coiner. Perhaps it's the context that annoys the OP. If you don't provide a good or a service but still have "Please donate to me, I need the coin" prefixed to your address, well, I can see that as tacky.

Tacky:
1. "Please donate for the time and effort I put into this post"

Not tacky:
1. A simple address without prefix
2. A prefix identifying a good or service that another forum member could purchase or donate. See my sig for a good example, and feel free to use the address in the usual way.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
ripper234
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2012, 01:17:16 PM

In addition to this, it is indeed a solicitation of sorts, but I don't see it as desperately begging. I see it as an invitation to a new world, where people express their recognition of someone's contributions in the sincerest form possible, by spending their hard-earned money, rather than empty +1's and likes. Where there's no stigma or psychological barrier to showing someone you care. And where in so doing they demonstrate the power of Bitcoin to send money to anyone in the world easily and cheaply. At least, that's what we once believed, it never really caught on.

A big +1!

I just opened tip jars for Meni Rosenfeld, Mike Hearn and Gavin Andresen. Feel free to donate to them.

(I made a spelling mistake on Gavin's last name ... sorry about that, it should be edited).

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2012, 03:49:04 PM

In addition to this, it is indeed a solicitation of sorts, but I don't see it as desperately begging. I see it as an invitation to a new world, where people express their recognition of someone's contributions in the sincerest form possible, by spending their hard-earned money, rather than empty +1's and likes. Where there's no stigma or psychological barrier to showing someone you care. And where in so doing they demonstrate the power of Bitcoin to send money to anyone in the world easily and cheaply. At least, that's what we once believed, it never really caught on.

A big +1!

I just opened tip jars for Meni Rosenfeld, Mike Hearn and Gavin Andresen. Feel free to donate to them.

(I made a spelling mistake on Gavin's last name ... sorry about that, it should be edited).
Cool, thanks! Smiley You forgot the .co in bitcoil.co.il.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
Mushroomized
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

Hello!

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 04:13:35 PM

Most people have it in their sigs so they don't have to send payment addresses to people when doing services/selling things to them. at least I do

hi
ripper234
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2012, 04:32:31 PM

Cool, thanks! Smiley You forgot the .co in bitcoil.co.il.

Oops Smiley

Claim your page, and then hopefully you should be able to edit it ... otherwise open a support ticket.

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 05:29:39 PM

I've never considered putting an address in my signature, and long time ago I changed my settings so other user's signatures are not displayed. Having said that, I'm sure many users include their addresses without giving it much thought, simply because they can, and because they are excited by the novelty of it. Novelty wears off, I hope. I also hope they will start thinking a bit deeper about what good or bad things might be brought into their lives by Bitcoin.

Other reasons might include wishing to build a reputation based on openness (forum identities linked to their wallets), or simply begging for money.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: