Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:28:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pew Poll: Terrorism is America's top concern for the first time in five years  (Read 486 times)
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 01:47:00 AM

The Uses of Charlie Hebdo
This isn’t about free speech – it’s about war

Another "coincidence": the latest Pew poll – the favorite of the Washington elites – lists "terrorism" as Americans’ top concern "for the first time in five years," just as the new Congress goes into session – and the presidential election pre-season begins.
[...]
This isn’t about free speech, at least not anymore: it’s about how to respond to an enemy that we created. No, we can’t go back in time and un-create ISIS, we can’t repeal the Iraq war or erase its tragic memory – and we can’t get rid of our own warmongers by simply deporting them to a desert isle where they could only bring harm to themselves. Although it’s not a bad idea, come to think of it.

We are going to have to live with the consequences of our government’s actions for many years to come, as the tides of religious and ethnic hatred batter the walls of our republic and transform it into something the Founders would neither recognize nor dream of. The great American ship of state cannot be turned around in a day, or even within the four-year term given to a President. The demons unleashed in the days and years after 9/11 – who were conjured well before then – will not be easily banished.

Yet it can be done. Those are war clouds on the horizon, but I also see rays of hope. Many are beginning to question our long march to permanent war, and many more will enter the ranks of the Peace Party in the years to come, if only we can learn to fight effectively. Yes, the polls tell us terrorism is on the minds of the American people, but they don’t say how we ought to meet this threat – and the idea that we should keep repeating the same failed policies fits the clinical definition of insanity to a tee.

More...http://original.antiwar.com/justin/2015/01/15/the-uses-of-charlie-hebdo/

I'm not surprised to say the least, the tv media has been going all in in their coverage of this stuff overseas and trying to link it to something happening here in some imminent way. In their coverage, they have the same neocons on everyday beating this horse into something that would make it wish for death.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
grendel25
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1031

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 06:46:50 AM

Hell yeah it is.  Just more side affects of a do nothing political force we have today.  Get elected and do nothing that matters.  Or, have law enforcement that let's known terrorists loose to commit more atrocities.  At least it looks like somewhat of an offense is being made in Europe.  It's just a screwed up world lately.

..EPICENTRAL .....
..EPIC: Epic Private Internet Cash..
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████████████▀▀█████▄
▄████████████▀▀▀    ██████▄
████████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ████████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
▀████████▌▐       ████████▀
▀████████ ▄██▄  ████████▀
▀█████████████▄███████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████▀█████▀████████▄
▄██████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀██████▄
██████▌             ▐██████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
▀█████▄  ▄▄     ▄▄  ▄█████▀
▀██████▄▄███████▄▄██████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
[/center]
Rishblitz

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

I'm nothing without GOD

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 07:19:20 PM

Hell yeah it is.  Just more side affects of a do nothing political force we have today.  Get elected and do nothing that matters.  Or, have law enforcement that let's known terrorists loose to commit more atrocities.  At least it looks like somewhat of an offense is being made in Europe.  It's just a screwed up world lately.

I am sure more will be released it will just be shushed though.

Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2015, 12:36:53 AM

Unfortunately for all of us the media has traded pay for objective journalism long ago.

Don't let what the media thinks cloud you from arriving at your own opinion.

Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 19, 2015, 12:46:38 AM

Unfortunately for all of us the media has traded pay for objective journalism long ago.

Don't let what the media thinks cloud you from arriving at your own opinion.
True but this media has been working over the average american routinely for the last few months about all this stuff going on overseas w/o mentioning that we funded and trained them on the heels of the Benghazi ordeal, thus orchestrating this whole situation to eventually build public support for interventions that they had been shying away from as a populace over the last 5 years or more. The leading engine that usually leads the way in these things are middle aged and elderly white conservatives that see all the muslims doing this and that and then paint with a broad brush to create the big picture. This then filters down to friends and family members and the average people that are bombarded with this stuff and that's how the mindset of americans has changed so much in such a short amount of time. Especially in the republican party, where the mindset of Rand Paul and a realistic foreign policy had been trending because of the McCains of the world and the funding of these terrorists overseas on purpose. However, short memories forget when Fox News has (The walrus) John Bolton and his neocon buddy Charles Kraugthammer on every night misconstruing what has been going on.
grendel25
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1031

View Profile
January 19, 2015, 02:24:27 AM

Hell yeah it is.  Just more side affects of a do nothing political force we have today.  Get elected and do nothing that matters.  Or, have law enforcement that let's known terrorists loose to commit more atrocities.  At least it looks like somewhat of an offense is being made in Europe.  It's just a screwed up world lately.

Here is the real problem, "its the fault of the politicians". Democracies great failing, we all get someone to blame. This madness is OUR fault, the regular folks passing the buck. Nothing personal grendel25, I'm guilty, letters written to political figures, zero.
How many joined the protests against the Iraq war? 2 million? And we where ignored. That doesn't mean its pointless but it was likely a risk taken in the hope we'd feel that way. Next time bring sleeping bags, a barbecue, beer, make a damn great party of it and stay there because the next stop is war.

That's an even more apathetic view.  The US is government for the people by the people.  When we start living that ideal again we'll actually be great.  When we stop electing do nothing republicans we'll be great again.  Oh the irony for all the liberal ballot measures to WIN but for all the liberals who made those measures possible end up losing mid-term elections.  

I've participated.  I voted.  I walked door to door in the rain and cold for candidates I believe in.  I talked to real people at their front door.  If the voters would have turned out we'd have different representation in office, I'm sure of it.

Don't assume to judge me as someone that just points fingers.  I complain and point fingers entirely correctly and more people need to do the same.  But yeah, write those politicians and get involved.  But the most important thing anyone can do in these times is just live their lives and be good people.

..EPICENTRAL .....
..EPIC: Epic Private Internet Cash..
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████████████▀▀█████▄
▄████████████▀▀▀    ██████▄
████████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ████████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
▀████████▌▐       ████████▀
▀████████ ▄██▄  ████████▀