Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 11:44:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is VPN enough to hide IP?  (Read 1535 times)
HelloBro (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 02:09:19 AM

I was wondering which is better TOR or VPN?
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Snorek
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 02:14:53 AM

If you REALLY did not want a kid, you would probably use birth control and a condom.

Hahaha. Great answer. That is true. And again if someone really want to get your ip they will have it. No matter what. But I am talking about government or something. No your uncle or mother...
smith coins

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 02:52:43 AM

whonix + VPN + Tor
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 04:09:53 AM

If set up properly, both of them will act as proxies to hide your computer's IP address.
Candystripes

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

***THIS ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE***

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 04:26:13 AM

Tor is definitely the winner. Most VPN's release logs to anyone who says they have authority. I can get the IP of a VPN, then go to the owner of the VPN and ask for logs, and get your real IP.

Don't rely on Tor too much. If anything use socks5, a drop PC, or at least a VPS.

---------------------------------
No longer under the possession of Candystripes.
Account is currently dormant.
b!z
Legendary

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 04:29:12 AM

Tor is definitely the winner. Most VPN's release logs to anyone who says they have authority. I can get the IP of a VPN, then go to the owner of the VPN and ask for logs, and get your real IP.

Don't rely on Tor too much. If anything use socks5, a drop PC, or at least a VPS.

Terrible advice.
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 04:36:47 AM

If you want to hide your IP from Bitcointalk then a VPN is sufficient. If you want to hide from a global adversary then even Tor might not be sufficient.
totally invisible

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 09:22:46 AM

I use a virtual computer on virtual box, changed mac address, Tor and connection to a free wifi. I'm totally invisible.
elliwilli

Activity: 307

et rich or die tryi

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2015, 09:33:09 AM

If you just want to make yourself hard to find then using a VPN is great for torrenting and the ilk.
If you want to be completely secure tinfoil hat and all, TAILS + VPN + TOR

TOR is kind of insecure now though and i recommended i2p for browsing hidden sites

ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2015, 01:02:40 PM

I'm not sure about Tor but if somebody really wants to find you they'd probably be able to track you down with some effort if you're using VPNs. I personally use VPN though, Tor is just too much hassle.
BTW if you wanna use VPNs you should definitely try out Torch Browser, my all-time favorite browser  Grin It comes equipped with Hola which gives you access to VPNs from all over the world just by pressing a button in the browser. That browser is totally awesome!!! (plus it has built in torrent downloader Smiley )
BCwinning

Activity: 770

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 01:05:05 PM

you have so much to learn, if you want to hide your ip, you need to read and read some more.
It's fairly simple to hide it and expose it if you don't have a clue.

The New World Order thanks you for your support of Bitcoin and encourages your continuing support so that they may track your expenditures easier.
Watoshi

Activity: 511

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 01:30:28 PM
Last edit: January 17, 2015, 01:48:18 PM by Watoshi

If you want to hide something what you do online. Buy a cheap disposable laptop clean install, a powerful wifi antenna can reach up to 20 km, use tor/trusted vpn, do it away from your home, do it on a populated city. Don't trust too much, if your adversary is from powerful organization they will know sooner or later what you are doing.

Toqqn.com

▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●  ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●  ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●  ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬

10Mil Bounty
b!z
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 03:49:15 AM

If you want to hide something what you do online. Buy a cheap disposable laptop clean install, a powerful wifi antenna can reach up to 20 km, use tor/trusted vpn, do it away from your home, do it on a populated city. Don't trust too much, if your adversary is from powerful organization they will know sooner or later what you are doing.

...these exist? I've never heard of them. Can you elaborate?
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 04:12:14 AM

http://www.amazon.com/USB-Yagi-directional-Antenna-802-11n-2200mW/dp/B003LLS5JI

(but 20km is very optimistic)
n3o111

Activity: 490

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 06:10:55 AM

+1 on the VPN Part specially, most of them keep logs even if they say they don't and getting it from them isn't even as hard as a court order.
zetaray

Activity: 658

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 06:26:49 AM

Tor is good if you want to hide your IP she you browse website. If you want to do something more secure, like accessing a wallet, you need to consider a reputable VPN service, not some tor network nodes.

.CryptoTotal.com.
                              l█████████▇▀
                              ████████▇▀
                              ███████▇▀
                              ██████▇▀
                              █████▇▀
                              ████▇▀
                              ███▇▀
                              ██▇▀
                              █▇▀
                              ▇▀
▇▇
▇▇

Express.Crypto.Checkout
Accepts Multiple Cryptos
Worldwide Shipping
poisenrang

Activity: 252

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 11:43:43 AM

search "HOTSPOT SHIELD" on google and use that:)

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
pozmu

Activity: 770
Merit: 504

(っ◔◡◔)っ🍪

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 06:03:44 PM

search "HOTSPOT SHIELD" on google and use that:)

But keep in mind that such popular, free VPN service will release your real IP on every request   Smiley

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2015, 08:03:18 PM

If the whole area was flat with no buildings that would work. Penetrating from the middle of a city to reach 20km? I highly doubt that.
Although I did not know about this Antenna ty.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
AccountTrader

Activity: 321

View Profile
January 19, 2015, 03:21:40 AM

If the whole area was flat with no buildings that would work. Penetrating from the middle of a city to reach 20km? I highly doubt that.
Although I did not know about this Antenna ty.

If you are on top of a tall building in a center of a city and no interference it will work.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: