Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 08:21:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Islamism and the Left  (Read 667 times)
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 08:07:52 PM

I live with a generalized fear of every form of religious militancy. I am afraid of Hindutva zealots in India, of messianic Zionists in Israel, and of rampaging Buddhist monks in Myanmar. But I admit that I am most afraid of Islamist zealots because the Islamic world at this moment in time (not always, not forever) is especially feverish and fervent. Indeed, the politically engaged Islamist zealots can best be understood as today’s crusaders.

Is this an anti-Muslim position, not a fear but a phobia—and a phobia that grows out of prejudice and hostility? Consider a rough analogy (all analogies are rough): if I say that Christianity in the eleventh century was a crusading religion and that it was dangerous to Jews and Muslims, who were rightly fearful (and some of them phobic)—would that make me anti-Christian? I know that crusading fervor isn’t essential to the Christian religion; it is historically contingent, and the crusading moment in Christian history came and, after two hundred years or so, went. Saladin helped bring it to an end, but it would have ended on its own. I know that many Christians opposed the Crusades; today we would call them Christian “moderates.” And, of course, most eleventh-century Christians weren’t interested in crusading warfare; they listened to sermons urging them to march to Jerusalem and they went home. Still, it is true without a doubt that in the eleventh century, much of the physical, material, and intellectual resources of Christendom were focused on the Crusades.

[...]
But again, I frequently come across leftists who are more concerned with avoiding accusations of Islamophobia than they are with condemning Islamist zealotry. This is an odd position with relation to the Muslim world today, but it makes some sense in Western Europe and possibly also in America, where Muslims are recent immigrants, the objects of discrimination, police surveillance, sometimes police brutality, and popular hostility. I have heard Muslims called the “new Jews.” That’s not a helpful analogy, since Muslims in today’s Western Europe have never been attacked by Christian crusaders, expelled from one country after another, forced to wear distinctive dress, barred from many professions, and slaughtered by Nazis. In fact, right now, some Muslim militants are among the chief purveyors of anti-Semitism in Europe (they get a lot of help from neo-fascists in France and Germany and other countries, too). In America, the “new Jews” label clearly doesn’t work. According to FBI statistics, between 2002 and 2011, there were 1,388 hate crimes committed against American Muslims and 9,198 against American Jews—and 25,130 against black Americans.2 We should defend all victims of hatred, but it isn’t wrong to recognize where the greatest dangers lie.

http://www.dissentmagazine.org/article/islamism-and-the-left

Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 03:00:54 PM

.....2002 and 2011, there were 1,388 hate crimes committed against American Muslims and 9,198 against American Jews—and 25,130 against black Americans.2 We should defend all victims of hatred, but it isn’t wrong to recognize where the greatest dangers lie....

The latest Allah Akbars.

2015.01.17 (Rawalpindi, Iraq) - A Shiite lawyer and his two nephews are sprayed with automatic weapons fire by dedicated Sunnis.
2015.01.17 (Sabaa al-Bour, Iraq) - Five Shiites at a market are reduced to pulp by Sunni bombers.
2015.01.17 (Kulgam, India) - Muslim radicals shoot a local cop to death.
2015.01.16 (Baqubah, Iraq) - A child is taken out by a suicide bomber.
2015.01.16 (Gombe, Nigeria) - At least a half dozen patrons at an outdoor market are sectionalized by a Fedayeen suicide bomber.
2015.01.16 (Tenenkou, Mali) - Nine people are murdered in a surprise attack by men shouting praises to Allah.
Rishblitz

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

I'm nothing without GOD

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 05:48:57 PM

The problem with the hate crime system is the same with the way rape is dealt with. if it is a white person against anyone else its a hate crime no matter what the guys motives. if it was a black guy or any other minority on a white person its handled just like a normal crime would be. The rape system is basically the same except woman can basically call out rape and get the guy in trouble even if they both consent.

biscotaste

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 07:47:51 PM

I think the best think to do is to ignore all this publicity! Take away its energy and momentum!
grendel25
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1031

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 09:45:07 PM

Money is todays religion and I fear it's zealots far more than those of traditional religions.

Yeah, because look at all the Wall Street folks running around carrying out suicide attacks.   Give me a break.  Religious zealots are the plague of our society and the last issue to solve before we can all move along in peace.  Economists can stay, radicals must go.

..EPICENTRAL .....
..EPIC: Epic Private Internet Cash..
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████████████▀▀█████▄
▄████████████▀▀▀    ██████▄
████████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ████████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
▀████████▌▐       ████████▀
▀████████ ▄██▄  ████████▀
▀█████████████▄███████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████▀█████▀████████▄
▄██████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀██████▄
██████▌             ▐██████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
▀█████▄  ▄▄     ▄▄  ▄█████▀
▀██████▄▄███████▄▄██████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
[/center]
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
January 19, 2015, 03:27:46 AM

....more bombs on Libya in a few days than where dropped in the entire second world war...

Minor point, but this is not possible.
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 1373

View Profile
January 19, 2015, 05:06:12 PM

Islam thinks that there should only be "Islam" and nobody else "left."   Grin

Cure your cancer at home. Ivermectin, fenbendazole, methylene blue, and hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) are chief among parasite drugs. Find out that all disease is based in parasites or pollution, and what you can easily do about it - https://www.huldaclark.com/, https://thedrardisshow.com/, https://thehighwire.com/.
BitMos

Activity: 182
Merit: 123

"PLEASE SCULPT YOUR SHIT BEFORE THROWING. Thank U"

View Profile
January 19, 2015, 05:16:11 PM

Sorry but more bombs on Libya in a few days than where dropped in the entire second world war doesn't sound peaceful to me, neither does double the duration of the second world war in both Iraq and Afghanistan or funding terrorists all over the middle east or laying siege to entire nations with sanctions... the list goes on and so does the bloodshed and its even in the holy lands, all praise the mighty dollar.

LoL... you don't know about the battles of the pacific? furthermore if who ever had surrender directly, they would maybe be alive, but their country and the people they sayid to love so much, all alive... Remember there was only 3 weeks (one night in fact) of war in Iraq, and a few battlefields in afg and the rest of the terrorist belt... don't compare apple and citrus... What most of those that are going to die facing the Imperial American Forces don't understand, is the relativity of their positions... the more problems, threats, dangers they represent for the Empire security the higher their chances of ANNIHILATION... and if they oppose to help the Empire against others higher up targets, they may become the first one in the queue. 101. very easy to understand. Peace, Harmony and Prosperity for all, but not at the expense of the American Security Apparatus, i.e. Ultimate Institutional Defenders of the US CONSTITUTION AND BILLS OF RIGHTS. Wanna try noobies?

money is faster...
biscotaste

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 19, 2015, 08:58:57 PM

Islam is a scary thing. For that reason they will never be defeated or even suppressed.
Besides the US needs them for their proxy wars.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: