Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:01:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I a genious??  (Read 2812 times)
jbs89 (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 01:19:06 AM

STORE BITCOINS ON BLURAY?!?!?!  Shocked

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
pirateat40
Avast Ye!

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

"Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late."

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2012, 01:21:29 AM

You have that many?

jbs89 (OP)

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 01:25:41 AM

so its not worth getting a blu-ray writer then?

So even like $1,000-$3,000 bitcoins would fit on just one DVD?
fred0

Activity: 349

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 01:26:11 AM

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=genious

Yes, obviously, you are a genious.
jbs89 (OP)

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 01:29:29 AM

Lets see,,, U I O are right next to eachother, god forbid my man sized finger accidentally catches the O.

Im sure if you show this to your mom she will give you a cookie
pirateat40
Avast Ye!

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2012, 01:33:05 AM

Do you know how many Bitcoins it would take to fill a DVD by itself?

finkleshnorts

Activity: 336

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 01:37:14 AM

you can store as many as you want with just a few bits. all you need is a private key, or seed.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2012, 01:38:43 AM

It might be interesting if you could store the blockchain and wallet.dat on a rewritable bluray disc instead of your hard drive. Then you could simply use bitcoin from any device that accepts bluray disks and bitcoin.

teek

Activity: 667
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 01:46:35 AM

no.
jbs89 (OP)

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 01:53:25 AM

It might be interesting if you could store the blockchain and wallet.dat on a rewritable bluray disc instead of your hard drive. Then you could simply use bitcoin from any device that accepts bluray disks and bitcoin.

Exactly my thinking...

Hard Drives fail and burn out.. but if you keep a disc in a nice sleeve it will last forever.

That way it would also be alot easier to physically store your bitcoins.. rather than a decaying thumb drive; a stack of blurays!

Its my opinion that any online wallet or computer wallet is at a huge risk and you would only use those as a buffer between your bitcoin use and bitcoin storage
pirateat40
Avast Ye!

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2012, 01:54:35 AM

Exactly my thinking...

Hard Drives fail and burn out.. but if you keep a disc in a nice sleeve it will last forever.

That way it would also be alot easier to physically store your bitcoins.. rather than a decaying thumb drive; a stack of blurays!

Its my opinion that any online wallet or computer wallet is at a huge risk and you would only use those as a buffer between your bitcoin use and bitcoin storage

Forever until the first fire turns it into a Frisbee.

fred0

Activity: 349

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 02:09:13 AM

Exactly my thinking...

Hey pirate, stand back, that's a genious at work. He came up with the idea that the wallet and blockchain can be stored off-line on a bluray.  True genious. What will come next? Maybe he will come up with the idea of using USB Flash drives to store the wallet+blockchain! Inspired!
jbs89 (OP)

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 02:14:05 AM

Exactly my thinking...

Hey pirate, stand back, that's a genious at work. He came up with the idea that the wallet and blockchain can be stored off-line on a bluray.  True genious. What will come next? Maybe he will come up with the idea of using USB Flash drives to store the wallet+blockchain! Inspired!

Someone needs a hug  Kiss
rate5

Activity: 104
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 02:39:56 AM

Or you could store them on paper  Wink

https://www.bitaddress.org/
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 03:37:59 AM

Exactly my thinking...

Idunno about Blu-ray discs specifically, but CDs are not long-term storage devices. After 5-15 years, there will start being significant issues due to degradation (even if you don't use them). You'd end up with corrupt, unusable data in not-so-long - likely without any warning if you don't regularly use the disc you're storing whatever on. Again, I don't know about Blu-Ray discs specifically, but it seems like a terrible idea to store your private keys on a disc (HDDs obviously included) without backups.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 03:47:08 AM

Store everything in the cloud, encrypted.
Slushpuppy

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 10:32:10 AM

Bury them in your backyard
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4606

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 05:19:19 PM

Blu-ray? DVD?
You could store all the bitcoins that will ever exist on a single CD.

For that matter, if you could find a drive for it, you could store all the bitcoins that will ever exist on a single 5.25 inch single sided 360 KB floppy disk.

If you have a pencil and a piece of paper, and you can manage to write 50 letters and numbers without making a mistake, you could store all the bitcoins that will ever exist with that tiny piece of paper.
Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 11:39:38 PM

Blu-ray? DVD?

For that matter, if you could find a drive for it, you could store all the bitcoins that will ever exist on a single 5.25 inch single sided 360 KB floppy disk.

If you have a pencil and a piece of paper, and you can manage to write 50 letters and numbers without making a mistake, you could store all the bitcoins that will ever exist with that tiny piece of paper.

Shhh...don't rain on the OP's geniousity.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 12:15:09 AM

Blu-ray? DVD?

Um no.  The OP idea was silly but that doesn't make your statements any less implausible.

There are currently 643,808 discrete non-zero addresses in the blockchain.  At a minimum you would need 157.18 MB of storage.
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: