Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:23:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 factor auth for the bitcoin client ?  (Read 3068 times)
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2012, 02:47:29 AM

I searched for this but couldnt find it. Im in the habit of setting up 2 factor auth on any bitcoin service that I use and was wondering if this is something the bitcoin client itself would ever support ?

I think this one feature would cut down a lot of theft and if your wallet required it even if a hacker got your wallet they still need your 2 factor device to use it. It might save a lot of lost coins.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 03:54:20 AM

I think this one feature would cut down a lot of theft and if your wallet required it even if a hacker got your wallet they still need your 2 factor device to use it. It might save a lot of lost coins.

- http://thejeshgn.com/2012/06/11/pyg2fa-python-library-google-authenticator-with-web-app/

One time passwords (OTP) are useful for protecting against replay attacks, such as what might occur on a compromised system that has a malware keylogger.

But to support this, the Bitcoin.org client would need to know the key.  If that key were stored on the filesystem or in the database it would need to be stored unencrypted.  So if the attacker has access to the database then the attacker has access to the key.   If the key weren't stored, and instead the user were prompted for the key, that would be something vulnerable to a replay attack.  So you really don't get much benefit from adding OTP to the Bitcoin.org client.

Now, a Yubikey can still be useful with the Bitcoin.org client though.  Although this has nothing to do with two-factor authentication, I see the Yubikey also supports a static password capability.   So if I understand Yubikey's documentation correctly, you could use the Yubikey in this static password mode when using the BItcoin.org client's wallet encryption.  You simply have Yubikey provide the passphrase used to encrypt the keys and then use the Yubikey each time the client asks for the passphrase (e.g., to add a new address or to send a payment).    I see the Yubikey support dual mode capability meaning you can use it for both a TOTP purpose and for a static password purpose as well.  I don't know if the Yubikey's from Mt. Gox still have this capability as those are modified Yubikeys.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2012, 03:58:39 AM

This will be possible eventually using multi-signature transactions.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2012, 06:00:42 AM

- http://thejeshgn.com/2012/06/11/pyg2fa-python-library-google-authenticator-with-web-app/

One time passwords (OTP) are useful for protecting against replay attacks, such as what might occur on a compromised system that has a malware keylogger.

But to support this, the Bitcoin.org client would need to know the key.  If that key were stored on the filesystem or in the database it would need to be stored unencrypted.  So if the attacker has access to the database then the attacker has access to the key.   If the key weren't stored, and instead the user were prompted for the key, that would be something vulnerable to a replay attack.  So you really don't get much benefit from adding OTP to the Bitcoin.org client.

Now, a Yubikey can still be useful with the Bitcoin.org client though.  Although this has nothing to do with two-factor authentication, I see the Yubikey also supports a static password capability.   So if I understand Yubikey's documentation correctly, you could use the Yubikey in this static password mode when using the BItcoin.org client's wallet encryption.  You simply have Yubikey provide the passphrase used to encrypt the keys and then use the Yubikey each time the client asks for the passphrase (e.g., to add a new address or to send a payment).    I see the Yubikey support dual mode capability meaning you can use it for both a TOTP purpose and for a static password purpose as well.  I don't know if the Yubikey's from Mt. Gox still have this capability as those are modified Yubikeys.

Interesting way to do it.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: