Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 04:36:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using 7950 gpu screen keeps going black  (Read 989 times)
chesthing (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 12:15:42 PM

I decided to turn one of my mining rigs into my main computer several months ago and have had a problem with the screen going black for an instant then coming right back ever since. Things I have tried:
Used driver sweeper and re-run the driver I don't know, maybe half a dozen times?
Tried another pcie port
Tried another 7950 gpu
Tried different browsers
Tried lots of different memory and core clock settings

Nothing changes it. It will be fine for a couple days, then all of a sudden the screen will go black, come back, and it will repeat over and over until I reboot and it will be fine for a couple days again.
Does anyone have any idea wtf is causing this? any ideas greatly appreciated.
findftp
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1006

Delusional crypto obsessionist

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 02:43:44 PM

I decided to turn one of my mining rigs into my main computer several months ago and have had a problem with the screen going black for an instant then coming right back ever since. Things I have tried:
Used driver sweeper and re-run the driver I don't know, maybe half a dozen times?
Tried another pcie port
Tried another 7950 gpu
Tried different browsers
Tried lots of different memory and core clock settings

Nothing changes it. It will be fine for a couple days, then all of a sudden the screen will go black, come back, and it will repeat over and over until I reboot and it will be fine for a couple days again.
Does anyone have any idea wtf is causing this? any ideas greatly appreciated.

What are your computer specs.
Also, what is your operating system?
chesthing (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 05:07:38 PM

Msi 970a-g43 mb, 8gb ram, 120gb hd, Windows 7.
I haven't mined with it since I sold the other gpus, just used it for surfing basically.
Gameroid

Activity: 798
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 05:09:42 PM

What connection are you using to display on the screen?
BCwinning

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 05:10:15 PM

try another monitor.
I've had a few go bad that way due to bad caps.

The New World Order thanks you for your support of Bitcoin and encourages your continuing support so that they may track your expenditures easier.
Gameroid

Activity: 798
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 05:14:46 PM

yeah ive had loads of problems with monitors in the past some aren't compatable with some hard ware and I can see it struggling with the miner in particular.
chesthing (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 07:45:53 PM
Last edit: January 18, 2015, 10:52:19 PM by chesthing

I'm using my 52" Sony Bravia with a 30' hdmi cable, wireless keyboard/mouse. I've also tried bringing the computer in the living room and using a 6' hdmi cable with no change. I've never had an issue with my dvd or satellite receiver using hdmi.

Sometimes when I go to a site with bright solid colors it will start blinking on and off right away, causing a need to reboot then it's fine. Before Mint went down it often seemed to start the moment I logged in - might have been all the bright green. Bittrex seems to get it going too sometimes.
Any ideas of settings I should look at?
findftp
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2015, 08:40:08 AM

I'm using my 52" Sony Bravia with a 30' hdmi cable, wireless keyboard/mouse. I've also tried bringing the computer in the living room and using a 6' hdmi cable with no change. I've never had an issue with my dvd or satellite receiver using hdmi.

Sometimes when I go to a site with bright solid colors it will start blinking on and off right away, causing a need to reboot then it's fine. Before Mint went down it often seemed to start the moment I logged in - might have been all the bright green. Bittrex seems to get it going too sometimes.

Have you tried another graphical card?
chesthing (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2015, 04:30:21 PM

Yes, all the things I've tried are in my op.
Anyone?
findftp
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2015, 04:32:00 PM

Yes, all the things I've tried are in my op.
Sorry, missed it.

Anyone?

You could try to run your computer with a linux dvd for a few days just to see how stable it is. To rule out the OS and drivers
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
January 19, 2015, 05:18:02 PM

defective vga, or probably corrupted windows 7, check the cables also
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: