Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 03:04:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC costs the consumer money  (Read 2647 times)
cafucafucafu (OP)

Activity: 812
Merit: 509

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 01:16:29 PM

http://www.coindesk.com/tnabc-day-1-bitcoin-industry-undeterred-despite-price-decline/

Coinsetter CEO Jaron Lukasiewicz

“Credit cards pay people at 1.5%. Bitcoin costs the consumer 1.5%,”

“That's the competition, and as an industry we need to be looking at where bitcoin competes.”

“We have the tendency to communicate that bitcoin is a cheaper solution [as a payment method], but you have to check into the consumer standpoint,”

Okay so how will this get resolved?

If BTC was cheaper for the consumer then we  go to the moon but otherwise we go to the floor.

tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 4004
Merit: 1432

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 01:19:40 PM

kindly explain the system where credit cards pay the consumer 1.5% and then btc costs 1.5%.

thanks.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
cafucafucafu (OP)

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 01:32:09 PM

It costs the consumer to buy BTC and the merchant usually offers no discounts.

turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 01:42:02 PM

If you throw in numbers, you should explain how they were calculated. It wouldn't be the first time, that the calculation is just wrong.
It doesn't cost me 1.5% to buy BTC, it is actually 0.35%+small transaction fees. So, this number is wrong unless you can show me, what extra fees I might have forgotten about.

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
cafucafucafu (OP)

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 01:46:18 PM

If you buy BTC with a credit card, the cost passes from the merchant to the consumer. Do you deny this?

turvarya

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 02:16:20 PM

If you buy BTC with a credit card, the cost passes from the merchant to the consumer. Do you deny this?

Why would I buy BTC with a credit card?
You didn't answer my question on how this numbers are calculated. Unless you do that, any discussion is pointless.

Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 02:29:15 PM

i pay my credit card (without debt autorisation) ... 50 euros per year.
that ... it's fraud for me (or mafia system).
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 02:44:37 PM

Wrong. It's actually: credit cards cost 3%-5%, Bitcoin costs 0%.

With Bitcoin, I can pay money virtually for free. Both online and offline.

With credit cards, however, first I have to convert BTC to EUR or USD (costing 0.5-1%), then I have to get a credit card (costing me x amount per year), and on top of that I'm even paying ridiculous credit card fees of another 1-3% (obviously, merchants ain't paying for that themselves).

Then there's something else: by using fiat money, you keep supporting a system that is (hyper-)inflationary by definition. My money will automatically decrease a few % every year, by the very nature of fiat money and the way it comes into existence. Even though I may not see my bank account's balance dwindle, my purchasing power does.

Fiat is VERY bad and expensive for consumers.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
cafucafucafu (OP)

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 03:12:59 PM

You didn't answer my question on how this numbers are calculated. Unless you do that, any discussion is pointless.

Most people are not you. Do you really expect most people to go through some lengthy process to get BTC? They will go to Circle.com and the like to buy from. Thus using cards the cost is passed to the consumer.

Please be open minded and think about how the average dud will buy BTC.

cafucafucafu (OP)

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 03:14:27 PM

With credit cards, however, first I have to convert BTC to EUR or USD (costing 0.5-1%), then I have to get a credit card (costing me x amount per year), and on top of that I'm even paying ridiculous credit card fees of another 1-3% (obviously, merchants ain't paying for that themselves).

Then there's something else: by using fiat money, you keep supporting a system that is (hyper-)inflationary by definition. My money will automatically decrease a few % every year, by the very nature of fiat money and the way it comes into existence. Even though I may not see my bank account's balance dwindle, my purchasing power does.

You are missing the point - it costs consumers 3-5% to actually buy the BTC with those cards.

ujka

Activity: 630

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 03:23:15 PM

Most people are not you. Do you really expect most people to go through some lengthy process to get BTC? They will go to Circle.com and the like to buy from. Thus using cards the cost is passed to the consumer.

I went to circle.com, signed in, registered, verified phone. And then circle told me 'At this time, bank accounts and credit cards from your country cannot be linked to Circle. Our apologies for the inconvenience.'

Not much help there for this 'average dud'.
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 03:30:58 PM

You are missing the point - it costs consumers 3-5% to actually buy the BTC with those cards.

Coinbase has over 1.9 million unique users , was easier to setup than paypal, and only charges 1% to purchase Bitcoin.

You are spreading FUD.

turvarya

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 03:34:43 PM

What lengthy process? If I want to have a credit card, I have to submit a form and wait a few weeks before I get my credit card. If I want to buy BTC on an exchange, I have to submit a form and have to wait a few days before I can easily buy BTC there.

Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 03:35:06 PM

Nonsense. If I still had fiat, I would convert it to BTC immediately (as I have done previously with most of my fiat) which costs like 0.35%.

Besides, it's a retarded comparison: buying groceries with cards, or buying bitcoins with cards and then buying groceries with bitcoins. Yes, obviously the latter is more expensive, because the cards are still involved. You have to think the other way around man.

I, for one, am getting paid my monthly salary directly in Bitcoin. No need to mess with expensive, security-sensitive, slow, limited, region-restricted, inconvenient cards.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
ujka

Activity: 630

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 03:47:35 PM

What lengthy process? If I want to have a credit card, I have to submit a form and wait a few weeks before I get my credit card. If I want to buy BTC on an exchange, I have to submit a form and have to wait a few days before I can easily buy BTC there.

Unlike circle.com example in my post above, I was able to sign in, register, verify, and deposit to kraken with SEPA, all in two hours.
98problems

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 05:36:22 PM

The article assumes that merchants are not going to charge different prices for consumers using different payment methods. If this is the case then the article is correct because credit cards often give account holders some kind of reward points that are worth at least 1% of the amount spent.

What it fails to account for is the fact that over time merchants will likely want to offer discounts in order to get people to want to pay in bitcoin because it is cheaper for them to accept.

It is not fiat that is expensive for consumers, it is credit cards specifically. If there was a bitcoin credit card it would likely have similar high costs

Klestin

Activity: 493

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 06:22:44 PM

"“Credit cards pay people [a tiny fraction of their customer base] at 1.5% [while taking 3% from the retailer, and charging enormous fees and interest to the vast majority of their customer base]."

FTFY
infobel

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 06:25:10 PM

Buy BTC with a credit card, to buy something with BTC?
That's just wrong Smiley
LOL
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4680

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 07:05:39 PM

If you buy BTC with a credit card . . .
- snip -

Then you are "doing it wrong".

That's just a horrible idea.  Please don't do that.

Since Bitcoin is a "digital cash", perhaps you should use a more similar comparison...

If you buy cash USD with a credit card, and then use those USD to purchase something, what fee will you pay when using your credit card to get the USD.  In most cases it will be significantly more than 1.5%.
skinbrake

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 07:36:52 PM

So its an initial cost of buying Bitcoins that makes it more expensive? Am I understanding this right?
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: