Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:22:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Designer babies' debate should start, scientists say  (Read 2981 times)
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 19, 2015, 08:13:22 PM

Rapid progress in genetics is making "designer babies" more likely and society needs to be prepared, leading scientists have told the BBC.

Dr Tony Perry, a pioneer in cloning, has announced precise DNA editing at the moment of conception in mice.

He said huge advances in the past two years meant "designer babies" were no longer HG Wells territory.

Other leading scientists and bioethicists argue it is time for a serious public debate on the issue.

Designer babies - genetically modified for beauty, intelligence or to be free of disease - have long been a topic of science fiction.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

This is not HG Wells, you can imagine people doing this soon”

Dr Tony Perry
University of Bath
Dr Perry, who was part of the teams to clone the first mice and pigs, said the prospect was still fiction, but science was rapidly catching up to make elements of it possible.

In the journal Scientific Reports, he details precisely editing the genome of mice at the point DNA from the sperm and egg come together.

Dr Perry, who is based at the University of Bath, told the BBC: "We used a pair of molecular scissors and a molecular sat-nav that tells the scissors where to cut.

"It is approaching 100% efficiency already, it's a case of 'you shoot you score'."

New era

It is the latest development of "Crispr technology" - which is a more precise way of editing DNA than anything that has come before.

It was named one of the top breakthroughs in 2013, hailed as the start of a new era of genetics and is being used in a wide-range of experiments in thousands of laboratories.

As well simply cutting the DNA to make mutations, as the Bath team have done, it is also possible to use the technology to insert new pieces of genetic code at the site of the cut.

It has reopened questions about genetically modifying people.

Prof Perry added: "On the human side, one has to be very cautious.

"There are heritable diseases coded by mutations in DNA and some people could say, 'I don't want my children to have these mutations.'"

This includes conditions such as cystic fibrosis and genes that increase the risk of cancer.

"There's much speculation here, but it's not completely fanciful, this is not HG Wells, you can imagine people doing this soon [in animals].

"At that time the HFEA [the UK's fertility regulator] will need to be prepared because they're going to have to deal with this issue."

He said science existed as part of a wider community and that it was up to society as a whole to begin assessing the implications and decide what is acceptable.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30742774

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Planned parenthood + designer babies = Eugenics 2.0

The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
username18333

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Knowledge could but approximate existence.

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2015, 04:15:34 AM
Last edit: January 20, 2015, 07:18:03 AM by username18333

Generally speaking, Homo sapiens sapiens babyhood is rather ephemeral; therefor, that one would so consider it (indeed, neglecting its adulthood) is, without a context of the subspecies’ natures, peculiar.

Escape the plutocrats’ zanpakutō, Flower in the Mirror, Moon on the Water: brave “the ascent which is rough and steep” (Plato).
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 04:56:38 PM

Generally speaking, Homo sapiens sapiens babyhood is rather ephemeral; therefor, that one would so consider it (indeed, neglecting its adulthood) is, without a context of the subspecies’ natures, peculiar.

When I see a reply from you in one of my thread, I feel honored. I have no idea what you mean 97.59% of the case, but it does not matter as I am sure others do...  Smiley

username18333

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2015, 09:11:20 PM

When I see a reply from you in one of my thread, I feel honored. I have no idea what you mean 97.59% of the case, but it does not matter as I am sure others do...  Smiley

“People" are adults “a lot" longer than they are babies; therefore, it would follow that one would primarily consider their “adult selves” and not their “baby selves,” as is often the case.

Escape the plutocrats’ zanpakutō, Flower in the Mirror, Moon on the Water: brave “the ascent which is rough and steep” (Plato).
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1367

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 10:17:27 PM

When I see a reply from you in one of my thread, I feel honored. I have no idea what you mean 97.59% of the case, but it does not matter as I am sure others do...  Smiley

“People" are adults “a lot" longer than they are babies; therefore, it would follow that one would primarily consider their “adult selves” and not their “baby selves,” as is often the case.

However, this kind of thinking is self-deceptive.

Think back to when you were 10 years old. Didn't a year take much longer to pass back then? And if you can remember back to 5 years old, didn't a year seem to take exceedingly long to pass back then? Think of how long the first month in Mommy's tummy must have taken. Maybe a thousand years? 10,000? 100,000?

We are living off that basic training that we received back at those millions of years that we lived in Mommy's tummy. "Practice makes perfect." We practiced how to live for those millions of years in Mommy's tummy. But it has only taken us 80 or 90 years outside to forget how to live, and get old and die.

Smiley

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
username18333

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2015, 10:32:41 PM

. . .

Think back to when you were 10 years old. Didn't a year take much longer to pass back then? And if you can remember back to 5 years old, didn't a year seem to take exceedingly long to pass back then? Think of how long the first month in Mommy's tummy must have taken. Maybe a thousand years? 10,000? 100,000?

We are living off that basic training that we received back at those millions of years that we lived in Mommy's tummy. "Practice makes perfect." We practiced how to live for those millions of years in Mommy's tummy. But it has only taken us 80 or 90 years outside to forget how to live, and get old and die.

Smiley

Regarding my perception thereof, the duration of a year is directly proportionate to my “activeness” thereover.

BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 10:36:42 PM

. . .

Smiley

Regarding my perception thereof, the duration of a year is directly proportionate to my “activeness” thereover.

We're all hoping you live out the year.   Cheesy   Just kidding.

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
Nemo1024
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2015, 11:23:35 PM
Last edit: January 21, 2015, 02:52:12 PM by Nemo1024

I first thought I was seeing double or these two threads were cloned.  Grin

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 03:59:05 AM

I first thought I was seeing double of these two threads were cloned.  Grin

I was not even sure I replied to my own thread either. I was confused.

I'll scan the page first next time before posting a new thread  Smiley

BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 04:30:18 PM

Personally, I like the idea that Bitcoin Talk allows same name threads. Imagine a full page in a forum with 20 separate threads, all having the same name.

I wonder if they will allow us to personally start 20 threads with the same name. Imagine! A full page of "'Designer babies' debate should start, scientists say" all by Wilikon!

Smiley

EDIT: Think of the possibilities. Imagine a hospital full of unrelated designer babies, all born to different parents, yet all exactly the same, simply because they had been designed that way.

Is that why there are two threads with the same name? I wouldn't put it past Wilikon to have one of his buddies start a second, "designer" page, just like his designer baby page, at least in title, simply to make a point, or, to get some laughs.

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 05:47:12 PM

Personally, I like the idea that Bitcoin Talk allows same name threads. Imagine a full page in a forum with 20 separate threads, all having the same name.

I wonder if they will allow us to personally start 20 threads with the same name. Imagine! A full page of "'Designer babies' debate should start, scientists say" all by Wilikon!

Smiley

EDIT: Think of the possibilities. Imagine a hospital full of unrelated designer babies, all born to different parents, yet all exactly the same, simply because they had been designed that way.

Is that why there are two threads with the same name? I wouldn't put it past Wilikon to have one of his buddies start a second, "designer" page, just like his designer baby page, at least in title, simply to make a point, or, to get some laughs.

"All by Wilikon" Grin Cheesy

As a reminder to all, I do not have any buddies on bitcointalk. I cannot prove to you I am telling the truth though. The 'Trust no one protocol' is still in place, all the time, in my mind.

Secondly, I never forget posting on bitcointalk is a privilege, not a human right. I try to keep disturbing links and images to a strict minimum. When I have already developed a thread for a particular subject, I'll try to keep it updated as long as I am alive.

Most of us here are mature adults, no matter how different our political views are. That could be one of the reason your idea of infinite cloning of threads with the same titles hasn't taken root yet...  Smiley

BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 06:09:40 PM

Smiley

As a reminder to all, I do not have any buddies on bitcointalk. I cannot prove to you I am telling the truth though. The 'Trust no one protocol' is still in place, all the time, in my mind.

Secondly, I never forget posting on bitcointalk is a privilege, not a human right. I try to keep disturbing links and images to a strict minimum. When I have already developed a thread for a particular subject, I'll try to keep it updated as long as I am alive.

Most of us here are mature adults, no matter how different our political views are. That could be one of the reason your idea of infinite cloning of threads with the same titles hasn't taken root yet...  Smiley

My apologies, for suggesting that you have buddies here. But we are all a little inter related, especially if we have been posting right along side each other for a long time, aren't we?

Anyway. I should have posted a grinning smiley, because I was joking (somewhat); I thought it was obviousish.

Smiley

EDIT: I wonder if it is possible to design unisex babies that, after they have grown up, can reproduce more of their own kind without having a sex partner. This might be something that is built into the genes in such a way that it could never happen naturally. But we just might be able to "tweak" the genetics enough to start it happening.

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 07:34:22 PM

Smiley

Most of us here are mature adults, no matter how different our political views are. That could be one of the reason your idea of infinite cloning of threads with the same titles hasn't taken root yet...  Smiley

My apologies, for suggesting that you have buddies here. But we are all a little inter related, especially if we have been posting right along side each other for a long time, aren't we?

Anyway. I should have posted a grinning smiley, because I was joking (somewhat); I thought it was obviousish.

Smiley

EDIT: I wonder if it is possible to design unisex babies that, after they have grown up, can reproduce more of their own kind without having a sex partner. This might be something that is built into the genes in such a way that it could never happen naturally. But we just might be able to "tweak" the genetics enough to start it happening.

No worry about 'offending me or my image'. I love caricatures  Smiley

I did not take what you say wrongly. Sadly I have to remember a lot of people on the net can't understand the art of irony without the help of a yellow  Smiley Wink Cheesy Shocked Shocked Tongue Cry Embarrassed

Not everyone understands the subtleties of the english language...

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 07:48:21 PM

Smiley

Smiley

I am not sure if we are smart enough to understand the millions of years of survival of the fittest paradigm yet. Everything we imagine is locked with us on this planet forever. Good or bad. Cloning exists in multiple forms in nature already. Although none of those living creatures seem to be on a evolutionary path to create the next bitcoin protocol, even if we wait a billion years.

It is not by chance we do what we do. Even if you only believe in chance and pure randomness of nature, you know this little insect, no matter how many times it will roll the dice of evolution, won't fly all the way to the moon, unless being a parasite stucked in some human being gloves...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7eRGHVx3p0

We may take the risk of limiting ourselves genetically for long, multi generation star trekking...

freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 07:58:33 AM

I first thought I was seeing double or these two threads were cloned.  Grin

The thread had babies and they cloned themselves
It just went to show that it was an interesting topic
Anyways a bit to close to Eugenics for me although a world with Gundam Seed level coordinators and naturals does seem like its setting the stage for an epic space saga of the future.

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 09:20:22 AM

Smiley

Smiley

I am not sure if we are smart enough to understand the millions of years of survival of the fittest paradigm yet. Everything we imagine is locked with us on this planet forever. Good or bad. Cloning exists in multiple forms in nature already. Although none of those living creatures seem to be on a evolutionary path to create the next bitcoin protocol, even if we wait a billion years.

It is not by chance we do what we do. Even if you only believe in chance and pure randomness of nature, you know this little insect, no matter how many times it will roll the dice of evolution, won't fly all the way to the moon, unless being a parasite stucked in some human being gloves...

We may take the risk of limiting ourselves genetically for long, multi generation star trekking...

With the help of computers, we just might be able to engineer anything we want. The problem in our thinking is that there are so many variables around, that we can't tell much about the past. The best we can do is to determine the near past, and to understand the things that we see happening.

Until we get a practically operating time viewer, we are not really going to know what happened in the distant past. We see what exists now. We can extrapolate somewhat, according to experience. But the further back we go, the greater the chance is that we missed an important event or two that affected everything.

The best we can do regarding the past is to interpret the writings of those people who recorded the ancient past as it unfolded in their lives. We have inscriptions on walls, ancient scrolls, and all kinds of handed down traditions. It amazes me that scientists don't take the history of the Bible more seriously. After all, it is some of the best written history, with some of the best tradition regarding its authenticity, that exists today. In fact, it is way beyond anything else tradition-wise. The Dead Sea Scrolls show that the Old Testament of the Bible is absolutely the most powerful historical writing that exists.

Smiley

Troonetpt

Activity: 322

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 09:42:41 AM

It's wrong to choose an occupation when you are still a baby, but it's also good to have new designers as well.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 06:03:12 PM

Smiley

Smiley

With the help of computers, we just might be able to engineer anything we want. The problem in our thinking is that there are so many variables around, that we can't tell much about the past. The best we can do is to determine the near past, and to understand the things that we see happening.

Until we get a practically operating time viewer, we are not really going to know what happened in the distant past. We see what exists now. We can extrapolate somewhat, according to experience. But the further back we go, the greater the chance is that we missed an important event or two that affected everything.

The best we can do regarding the past is to interpret the writings of those people who recorded the ancient past as it unfolded in their lives. We have inscriptions on walls, ancient scrolls, and all kinds of handed down traditions. It amazes me that scientists don't take the history of the Bible more seriously. After all, it is some of the best written history, with some of the best tradition regarding its authenticity, that exists today. In fact, it is way beyond anything else tradition-wise. The Dead Sea Scrolls show that the Old Testament of the Bible is absolutely the most powerful historical writing that exists.

Smiley

... Until the next discovery inside another cave somewhere.
When we believe we know something, we freeze the flux of reality to make sense of the now. The computer will help make better humans now, risking freezing the flow of our future genetic reality forever.

BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 07:15:45 PM

When we believe we know something, we freeze the flux of reality to make sense of the now. The computer will help make better humans now, risking freezing the flow of our future genetic reality forever.

If I wanted something practical, I'd get married. But this is way too poetic.

Smiley

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 08:52:40 PM

If I wanted something practical, I'd get married. But this is way too poetic.

Smiley

Let the flux of reality flow...

Rishblitz

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

I'm nothing without GOD

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 12:05:23 AM

This really could be a good thing if controlled properly.

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 02:18:42 AM

BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 02:36:34 AM

LOL !   Cheesy

manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 26, 2015, 12:50:51 AM

He's true tho. Imagine looking like Brad Pitt while being as smart as Satoshi Nakamoto. You would never be depressed.
BitMos

Activity: 182
Merit: 123

"PLEASE SCULPT YOUR SHIT BEFORE THROWING. Thank U"

View Profile
January 26, 2015, 05:56:28 AM
Last edit: January 26, 2015, 06:23:42 AM by BitMos

Who will get the first serially implanted exploits? If the product you bought (aka your "baby") has an exploit found, are you gonna trash it?

money is faster...
Gronthaing
Legendary

Activity: 1135

View Profile
January 26, 2015, 10:59:43 AM

Who will get the first serially implanted exploits? If the product you bought (aka your "baby") has an exploit found, are you gonna trash it?

Or just return it if it's within warranty. Kidding aside, designer babies will happen eventually. Maybe in secret at first while not socially acceptable. But it's inevitable it will start somewhere. And then if you don't want your kids to be at a disadvantage, you will have to do it as well.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 26, 2015, 05:24:46 PM

He's true tho. Imagine looking like Brad Pitt while being as smart as Satoshi Nakamoto. You would never be depressed.

Imagine 1 million people getting the same Brad Pitt while being as smart as Satoshi Nakamoto Amazon Prime Gene Gift Card for christmas...

Can't wait for the cheaper chinese gene therapy knock off... Wink

R2D221

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 26, 2015, 06:07:48 PM

The movie Gattaca is relevant to this discussion. You should watch it.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
January 26, 2015, 08:37:10 PM

To those who ignore it, the nazis were the strongest proponents of eugenism. They killed the inferior people (jews, gypsies...) and they created the lebensborn to organize the master race.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 26, 2015, 08:41:25 PM

To those who ignore it, the nazis were the strongest proponents of eugenism. They killed the inferior people (jews, gypsies...) and they created the lebensborn to organize the master race.

The Boys from Brazil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=167yT9JX0_Y

VectorChief

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 26, 2015, 10:02:05 PM
Last edit: January 27, 2015, 12:25:41 AM by VectorChief

The movie Gattaca is relevant to this discussion. You should watch it.

Thought about it a split second before seeing your post.
Talking about telepathy and stuff in the other thread... Smiley

Great movie. One of my favorites.
Rishblitz

I'm nothing without GOD

View Profile
January 26, 2015, 11:26:37 PM

That ended a world war!

countryfree
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2015, 11:27:50 PM

The Boys from Brazil

That was fiction, but there's real history behind that movie.

Rishblitz

I'm nothing without GOD

View Profile
January 26, 2015, 11:29:32 PM

The Boys from Brazil

Didn't something like that happen in Argentina where most of the Nazis fled.

R2D221

Activity: 658

View Profile
January 26, 2015, 11:48:48 PM

That ended a world war!

I think it started it, in fact.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
Rishblitz

I'm nothing without GOD

View Profile
January 26, 2015, 11:55:42 PM

That ended a world war!

WW3 probably wont start with a nuke. it will build up to using nukes but until then it will be conventional warfare with maybe biological warfare too.

but any way being able to make your baby have a gene for intelligence is actually a huge step forward if we can make are children smart and athletic the human race will advance extremely fast.

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 03:05:16 AM

That ended a world war!

WW3 probably wont start with a nuke. it will build up to using nukes but until then it will be conventional warfare with maybe biological warfare too.

but any way being able to make your baby have a gene for intelligence is actually a huge step forward if we can make are children smart and athletic the human race will advance extremely fast.

Only if it is open source and free from any monopoly and patents. That's impossible.

And even if it was totally free for all, the first served will find a way, with their brand new super brain and brad pitt look, to slow down the others coming after them so they can stay on top of the food chain. If you have 7 billions of super smart brad pitts, then no one is smart, or cute. Everyone becomes an average super smart brad pitt  Smiley

And yes the atomic bomb did stop the war in the pacific. Well... Not after the second bomb, then hirohito realized it was time to give up, and not let his people fight until the last woman or the last child dies to defend his honor.

It was also a bright signal telling stalin to watch out...

BitMos

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 05:20:22 PM
Last edit: February 03, 2015, 05:48:28 PM by BitMos

Did you read about mitochondrial implantation? British lawmakers in the House of Commons have voted to approve letting scientists insert mitochondria from an other woman inside the cell of the others. One step closer to the trashable baby? who will want a v.1 when the v.2 is available 6 month later for implementation, will the manufacturers chose a Intel approach tick-tock or a iPhone yearly release, mitochondria market opens  Huh National Security Risk  Huh Are you sure to want to open the gate  Huh Some say to help, always... but at the end do  you want to become ants? centralized, to the point of being unable to implant anything complex, like building a spacecraft... Because in the case I don't see anything "wrong" with that, but it's just my point of view... risks are beyond point of view. they require knowledge, but are always understandable by anyone. it's taking the precautions where the conflict start...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-uk-dna-20150203-story.html#navtype=outfit

The techniques would likely only be used in about a dozen British women every year who have faulty mitochondria, the energy-producing structures outside a cell's nucleus. To fix that, scientists remove the nucleus DNA from the egg of a prospective mother and insert it into a donor egg from which the nucleus DNA has been removed. This can be done either before or after fertilization.

who doesn't want boosted mitochondria, mandatory for service? loans? who knows... Anyway what ever biological will still be too slow/weak/etc against the Machines, the only advantage of organic is being dieable... Eternity can become long once started to be experienced...

edit: and if there is a "bug" will they do recall? release patches? or reimburse? wait for v1.00 or maybe the patched up v1.01, insane.

- -

edit 2: and the original mother can't be healed?

money is faster...
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 08:22:04 PM

MPs have voted in favour of the creation of babies with DNA from two women and one man, in an historic move.

The UK is now set to become the first country to introduce laws to allow the creation of babies from three people.

In a free vote in the Commons, 382 MPs were in favour and 128 against the technique that stops genetic diseases being passed from mother to child.

During the debate, ministers said the technique was "light at the end of a dark tunnel" for families.

A further vote is required in the House of Lords. It everything goes ahead then the first such baby could be born next year.

Proponents said the backing was "good news for progressive medicine" but critics say they will continue to fight against the technique that they say raises too many ethical and safety concerns.

Estimates suggest 150 three-person babies could be born each year.

Prime Minister David Cameron said: "We're not playing god here, we're just making sure that two parents who want a healthy baby can have one."

Life-saving

The method, which was developed in Newcastle, should help women like Sharon Bernardi, from Sunderland, who lost all seven of her children to mitochondrial disease.

Ms Bernadi said was "overwhelmed" by the decision.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31069173

(oYo)

Activity: 476

I like boobies

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2015, 09:57:55 PM

MPs have voted in favour of the creation of babies with DNA from two women and one man, in an historic move.

The UK is now set to become the first country to introduce laws to allow the creation of babies from three people.

In a free vote in the Commons, 382 MPs were in favour and 128 against the technique that stops genetic diseases being passed from mother to child.

During the debate, ministers said the technique was "light at the end of a dark tunnel" for families.

A further vote is required in the House of Lords. It everything goes ahead then the first such baby could be born next year.

Proponents said the backing was "good news for progressive medicine" but critics say they will continue to fight against the technique that they say raises too many ethical and safety concerns.

Estimates suggest 150 three-person babies could be born each year.

Prime Minister David Cameron said: "We're not playing god here, we're just making sure that two parents who want a healthy baby can have one."

Life-saving

The method, which was developed in Newcastle, should help women like Sharon Bernardi, from Sunderland, who lost all seven of her children to mitochondrial disease.

Ms Bernadi said was "overwhelmed" by the decision.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31069173

A whole new take on "having a threesome".

That ended a world war!

You mean the "master race". Who's to say it's not already happening? The majority of people will not be able to afford this. Most likely (if not wiped out entirely) those that survive this class war will be downgraded to become a more docile workforce.

countryfree
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2015, 12:35:19 AM

The Boys from Brazil

Didn't something like that happen in Argentina where most of the Nazis fled.

Not in Argentina. In Germany, and even in 1944, when there were food shortages everywhere, the children were well fed.

BitMos

View Profile
February 04, 2015, 06:17:51 PM

I realized that it's was my preconception of what I had learn on what is a mitochondria that influenced all my perception on this issue. I have only access to one modelization of this at the very low level, however it illustrate how a model bad or good in certain case can have repercussion by framing the understanding in certain ways, that may be usefull (I repeat) but may not represent the reality accurately (meaning that better model(s) are always possible).

so yes their is 3 dna present, but when an organ is transplanted there is too 3 dnas... I said that, I say nothing.

money is faster...
manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 04, 2015, 06:35:16 PM

I think nordic countries are a result of eugenics. Why they have to be all good looking and tall?
BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2015, 06:47:22 PM

I think nordic countries are a result of eugenics. Why they have to be all good looking and tall?

The tall part comes from less sunlight. They stay inside a lot more because of the cold weather.

After all, stick a plant in a dark closet and let it grow up in there. It grows tall and scraggly. Give it just enough sunlight, and it will grow tall and beautiful.

Smiley

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 03:59:29 AM

The tall part comes from less sunlight. They stay inside a lot more because of the cold weather.

After all, stick a plant in a dark closet and let it grow up in there. It grows tall and scraggly. Give it just enough sunlight, and it will grow tall and beautiful.

Smiley

Scandinavians are what... Homo Arboris

Cool

Agestorzrxx

Activity: 462

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 10:40:22 AM
Last edit: February 05, 2015, 11:06:17 AM by Agestorzrxx

Babies aren't bags, they shouldn't be specially designed, they are not for show. If you're a possible parent and you want a designer baby you should not be a parent. If you aren't willing to just take the baby as is and instead have to make sure it is perfect to your standards before it is even conceived you have more growing up to do before you are ready to become a parent. We try to teach kids that you have to accept yourself the way your are and you were born that way for a reason. That reason should not be because your parents designed you that way! I would be embarrassed to be a designer baby or even to consider the fact of them being a possibility.
BitMos

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 10:45:41 AM

Babies aren't bags, they shouldn't be specially designed, they are not for show. If you're a possible parent and you want a designer baby you should not be a parent. If you aren't willing to just take the baby as is and instead have to make sure it is perfect to your standards before it is even conceived you have more growing up to do before you are ready to become a parent. We try to teach kids that you have to accept yourself the way your are and you were born that way for a reason. That reason should not be because your parents designed you that way! I would be embarrassed to be a designer baby or even to consider the fact of them being a possibility.

thank you for posting this one ( I just made a quick correction, I think it goes better).

money is faster...
Agestorzrxx

Activity: 462

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 11:07:14 AM

thank you for posting this one ( I just made a quick correction, I think it goes better).
Thanks for correction, I have corrected it.
countryfree
Legendary

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 06:14:32 PM

Wrong. The people there are used to the cold. They go out a lot all year round. My last time in Norway was in April, there was still some snow and yet on Oslo's waterfront, I've seen people enjoying drinks several restaurants' terraces. That was at night, on a weekday.

pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 11:01:32 PM

Wrong. The people there are used to the cold. They go out a lot all year round. My last time in Norway was in April, there was still some snow and yet on Oslo's waterfront, I've seen people enjoying drinks several restaurants' terraces. That was at night, on a weekday.
Yeah I was going to say that. People go out normally there so I dont see the analogy.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: