Bitcoin Forum
May 15, 2024, 07:30:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I found all the transactions can be found publicly on blockchain, is that safe?  (Read 719 times)
mlmdaily (OP)

Activity: 73
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 01:36:35 AM

I found all the transactions can be found publicly on blockchain, is that safe?
It shows from Address1 to Address2, and how many bitcoins, so everyone can find all the route, correct?
is it anonymous?
twister

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2015, 05:37:01 AM

It's safe if you have nothing to hide but if you're really concerned about anonymity of your transactions you can use services like bitmixer.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 05:41:13 AM

It shows from Address1 to Address2, and how many bitcoins, so everyone can find all the route, correct?
is it anonymous?

That's how Bitcoin works and that's the main strength of Bitcoin.

The whole transaction history is public - we call it block chain. Anyone in the world can have a complete copy of the block chain on computer. When new transactions happen, they're matched with all old transactions to make sure no Bitcoins are being spent more than once.

If you're worried about privacy, there's not much to worry about. As far as you cover your tracks, it is not possible to link a Bitcoin address to a person. So even if the block chain shows a transaction from Address1 --> Address2, it is not known who sent the money to whom.
ABitNut

Activity: 764
Merit: 500

I'm a cynic, I'm a quaint

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 05:50:43 AM

is it anonymous?

The whole transaction history is public - we call it block chain. Anyone in the world can have a complete copy of the block chain on computer. When new transactions happen, they're matched with all old transactions to make sure no Bitcoins are being spent more than once.

If you're worried about privacy, there's not much to worry about. As far as you cover your tracks, it is not possible to link a Bitcoin address to a person. So even if the block chain shows a transaction from Address1 --> Address2, it is not known who sent the money to whom.

There's plenty to worry about. If you receive bitcoins you must share your address with whoever is sending you the bitcoins. At least they will know it's yours. If you're sending bitcoins then whoever you sent it to can see your address and know it's yours as well. If you trust either of these parties then no worries. but if you don't... Too bad.

Mixers can help obfuscate it if used right. That of course requires you to trust the mixer. If I were part of a three letter agency tasked with tracing bitcoin transactions I would set up the bestesttm coin mixer in the world. I would guarantee you that no unauthorized entity will ever know what you did with your bitcoins.
sgk
Legendary

!! HODL !!

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 07:13:58 AM

is it anonymous?

There's plenty to worry about. If you receive bitcoins you must share your address with whoever is sending you the bitcoins. At least they will know it's yours. If you're sending bitcoins then whoever you sent it to can see your address and know it's yours as well. If you trust either of these parties then no worries. but if you don't... Too bad.

Mixers can help obfuscate it if used right. That of course requires you to trust the mixer. If I were part of a three letter agency tasked with tracing bitcoin transactions I would set up the bestesttm coin mixer in the world. I would guarantee you that no unauthorized entity will ever know what you did with your bitcoins.

Thank you. That's why I said "as far as you cover your tracks", but you probably missed it.

And there are plenty of ways to cover your tracks; including mixers as you said. Also for general public, using an exchange wallet to send/receive is also a way to cover tracks from unidentified parties. Not to mention the Dark Wallet.

But one person doesn't need to go out of the way to hide all possible tracks unless he's running a silk road of course.
mlmdaily (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 05:30:32 PM

Thanks, I am new in BTC and trybf to understand how it works, you said "using an exchange wallet to send/receive is also a way to cover tracks", the problem is my wallet address in the exchanger is always same, so people will also know I send to an exchanger address and then withdraw from the exchanger's address and forward to another address, in what you said, I MUST change my wallet address in the exchanger and then send out?
sgk
Legendary

!! HODL !!

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 05:36:12 PM

Thanks, I am new in BTC and trybf to understand how it works, you said "using an exchange wallet to send/receive is also a way to cover tracks", the problem is my wallet address in the exchanger is always same, so people will also know I send to an exchanger address and then withdraw from the exchanger's address and forward to another address, in what you said, I MUST change my wallet address in the exchanger and then send out?

Most exchanges allow you to generate new address on daily basis, see if that's the case with your exchange.

On your desktop wallet, you can even keep rotating addresses (or even keep generating new addresses for every transaction you make).
mlmdaily (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 08:25:55 PM

Thanks, that means each time the address I used to receive BTC will be different from the address I send out BTC, even in the same exchanger? How about blockchain and btc-e, my wallet address will change often? Or I need to set it?
findftp
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1006

Delusional crypto obsessionist

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 09:48:00 PM

is it anonymous?

This must be a joke, right? Grin
I mean, it made me laugh, thanks Smiley

Please don't take it as an offend.
I already see other people explained it to you.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: