Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:54:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is Data321?  (Read 1553 times)
Bizmark13 (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

WikiScams.org - Information about Bitcoin Scams

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 02:10:01 AM

I've been getting Google search results for a site called Data321.net that seems to be Chinese in origin and a near-perfect mirror of Bitcointalk.org. The site is currently down at the moment but Google's cache reveals that it is exactly the same - i.e. it looks the same, has the same members, same threads and posts, etc. Even more strange is that all references to "bitcointalk.org" have been replaced with "data321.net" like as if someone performed a search & replace command on the whole site. - e.g. the thread "changing my username on bitcointalk.org" becomes "changing my username on data321.net".

It seems to have been up for a few months and only went down in the past several days or so. Does anyone know what it is and why it was created? Is it a secret project by one of the admins here? Or is it the Chinese version of Bitcointa.lk?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 02:25:54 AM

There's a bunch of sites out there that automatically copy posts from forums in order to try and get traffic from search engines. Some of them even use hacked domains. Data321 was probably just one of these websites.

Salmon1989

Activity: 603
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 04:37:32 AM

I've been getting Google search results for a site called Data321.net that seems to be Chinese in origin and a near-perfect mirror of Bitcointalk.org. The site is currently down at the moment but Google's cache reveals that it is exactly the same - i.e. it looks the same, has the same members, same threads and posts, etc. Even more strange is that all references to "bitcointalk.org" have been replaced with "data321.net" like as if someone performed a search & replace command on the whole site. - e.g. the thread "changing my username on bitcointalk.org" becomes "changing my username on data321.net".

It seems to have been up for a few months and only went down in the past several days or so. Does anyone know what it is and why it was created? Is it a secret project by one of the admins here? Or is it the Chinese version of Bitcointa.lk?

Sounds just like https://bitcointa.lk/ (wasn't working for a few months now) which copies the content of bitcointalk with web crawlers.

cbase

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 04:49:41 AM

they just scrap data from bitcointalk and post them same as it is posted on bitcointalk
or you can say a clone site but right now we are at original site of bitcoin discussion
GrandmaJean

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 04:55:32 AM

they just scrap data from bitcointalk and post them same as it is posted on bitcointalk
or you can say a clone site but right now we are at original site of bitcoin discussion
Here people can do things like edit and delete posts. However on mirrors and sites that copy information from the forum automatically, any edits that happen can be detected and called out, especially when someone is trying to pull some kind of scam or if there is some kind of dispute.

Sure the admins on here have access to this information as well but they often will not want to get involved in disputes 
marcotheminer
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 06:54:47 PM

Could be to allow users from China to bypass the bitcointalk.org ban which is currently on over there. This could explain why the site shows just the local section for what is supposedly Chinese.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 02:25:47 AM

if you visit the site and scroll to the bottom, you'll see this:
本网站为比特币加速站点,只为方便中国用户搜索及查找相关答案,属于非营利网站,友情链接或者其他相关问题,请联系QQ:2450057300.
which translates to
This website is Bitcoin accelerate site, only for the convenience of Chinese users to search and find relevant answers, a non-profit website, links or other related issues, please contact QQ: 2450057300.

Mystery solved. all you had to do was scroll down. Kiss

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
marcotheminer
Legendary

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 09:29:33 AM

which translates to
This website is Bitcoin accelerate site, only for the convenience of Chinese users to search and find relevant answers, a non-profit website, links or other related issues, please contact QQ: 2450057300.

Yea right that it's non-profit.. I'm talking to you, banner ad!
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2015, 10:29:48 AM

which translates to

Profiting off other's copyright, sounds familiar.

Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 01:24:10 PM

which translates to

just because they have revenue doesn't mean they are profiting. They obviously have expenses.
marcotheminer
Legendary

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 04:15:39 PM

which translates to

Was this aimed at me, what are you referring to?
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2015, 02:11:35 AM

which translates to

Was this aimed at me, what are you referring to?

No, badly phrased. Just that it's common.

b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 02:12:06 AM

which translates to

just because they have revenue doesn't mean they are profiting. They obviously have expenses.

Doesn't matter if you're a non profit... I believe the rule is that you shouldn't use other people's copyrights for any commercial gain?
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 05:12:25 AM

Doesn't matter if you're a non profit... I believe the rule is that you shouldn't use other people's copyrights for any commercial gain?
consider the following:
If I was running a http proxy, would it be okay to insert a banner at the top of each page (like this) to fund the server?

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 06:02:30 AM

consider the following:
If I was running a http proxy, would it be okay to insert a banner at the top of each page (like this) to fund the server?

I'm not a lawyer, but common sense tells me the answer is 'no' - it would not be okay to earn money off of someone else's work without their permission.

It doesn't apply to your example, because there's no commercial intent. But if there was a banner ad there...
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2015, 09:34:50 AM

consider the following:

I'm not a lawyer, but common sense tells me the answer is 'no' - it would not be okay to earn money off of someone else's work without their permission.

It doesn't apply to your example, because there's no commercial intent. But if there was a banner ad there...

The law goes further than that [not a layer]. Every post is the copyright of the poster if reproduced in its entirety. So if the rights holder (or by proxy, the forum owner) requests that they do not reproduce their content then they would have to abide (ignoring they're in CN and would ignore it). Commercial use / monetisation doesn't matter in this case, if there is no permission or license then they cant reproduce content in its entirety.

[As an aside, it gets more interesting in a dispute between the poster and the forum operator.]

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: