Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 08:46:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Idea- Paper Stock certificates.  (Read 3750 times)
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2012, 03:48:54 AM

Something collectible like these old fashioned share certificates might be a cool bitcoin service. Just say companies could sign them with their private key.....

Id like to hang one on my wall Cheesy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 04:09:41 AM

This isn't a bad idea for GLBSE. For a small fee you could issue GLBSE stock certificates Casascius style with the holo-sticker and pay dividends to them. You could trade them in the real world, at least where it is legal.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2012, 06:11:11 AM

This isn't a bad idea for GLBSE. For a small fee you could issue GLBSE stock certificates Casascius style with the holo-sticker and pay dividends to them. You could trade them in the real world, at least where it is legal.

Paying dividends to them is an interesting feature....

PinkBatman

Activity: 267
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 09:02:00 AM

I very much like this. I was trying to think of a way to do it with casascius but got stumped.
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2012, 10:25:57 AM

I very much like this. I was trying to think of a way to do it with casascius but got stumped.

Beats me how to do it either thats why I posted a thread asking about it  Cheesy

RandomQ

Activity: 826

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 01:19:28 PM

How about a stock cert with a bitcoin address listed on there and a Base 58 Wallet Key under a sticker.  Grin

I really like this idea and its going to be a pain in the ass to do payouts for the certificates.

But I think i'm going to give these out as christmas gifts lol
JL421

Activity: 812
Merit: 510

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 01:42:55 PM

How about a stock cert with a bitcoin address listed on there and a Base 58 Wallet Key under a sticker.  Grin

I really like this idea and its going to be a pain in the ass to do payouts for the certificates.

I actually don't think it would that difficult. When a user requests a certificate to be issued it creates a new sub-account in their GLBSE account. The shares in that account could be transferable (If the certificate was printed with no definite value), or locked until the certificate is redeemed (If the certificate was printed with a definite value).
RandomQ

Activity: 826

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 02:11:52 PM

I actually don't think it would that difficult. When a user requests a certificate to be issued it creates a new sub-account in their GLBSE account. The shares in that account could be transferable (If the certificate was printed with no definite value), or locked until the certificate is redeemed (If the certificate was printed with a definite value).

Any easy way to make a payout to a list of addresses? I don't see a BTC transfer in the private API on glbse.
JL421

Activity: 812
Merit: 510

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 02:52:55 PM

Any easy way to make a payout to a list of addresses? I don't see a BTC transfer in the private API on glbse.

Nefario could probably program something where if a certain account (our certificate) receives a dividend, it would automatically withdraw it to a bitcoin address (The one on our certificate).
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2012, 07:17:53 PM

This is actually a really really neat idea.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 08:12:33 PM

If you want to make them real fancy, come up with a super cheap bitcoincard type watch only wallet that displays the value of the stock with no battery needed.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
URSAY
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 09:44:15 PM

Paper stock certificates are kind of dated.  I thought Bitcoin was the future???   Roll Eyes

Can someone dub me a Bitcoin related podcast onto cassette?   Wink
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2012, 09:44:58 PM

If you want to make them real fancy, come up with a super cheap bitcoincard type watch only wallet that displays the value of the stock with no battery needed.

Maybe an e-paper device about the same size as a kindle ?  

Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2012, 09:50:44 PM

Paper stock certificates are kind of dated.  I thought Bitcoin was the future???   Roll Eyes

Can someone dub me a Bitcoin related podcast onto cassette?   Wink

See the above post Smiley
http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2012/06/04/corning-reveals-astounding-roll-up-willow-glass-for-flexible-displays/ 

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 01:56:39 AM

Paper stock certificates are kind of dated.
There are plenty of paper everything. There is even a paper Bitcoin Magazine. Paper isn't going away any time soon.

Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 02:09:44 AM

Paper stock certificates are kind of dated.
There are plenty of paper everything. There is even a paper Bitcoin Magazine. Paper isn't going away any time soon.

For long term storage nothing comes close. I wouldnt trust any sort of digital storage medium for more then 5-10 years.

Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 02:29:58 AM

Paper just works, no one ever had trouble using something paper because the internet was down, or because someone didn't have the right client installed etc.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: