Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 08:20:56 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: El-Hanafi should've used Bitcoin to remit that $67,000  (Read 715 times)
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 05:22:26 PM

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/american-67k-al-qaida-15-years-prison-28349556

A New Yorker who sent $67,000 to al-Qaida and pledged his support to the terror group has been sentenced to 15 years in prison.

Federal Judge Kimba Wood in Manhattan sentenced Brooklyn-born Wesam El-Hanafi (WAH'-suhm el-HAN'-awf-ee) on Tuesday. The sentence was less than the 20-year maximum term prosecutors had sought and three years less than his co-defendant received.

El-Hanafi pleaded guilty in June 2012, two years after he was brought to the United States from Dubai.

Prosecutors say El-Hanafi pledged loyalty to al-Qaida and sought to teach the group how to evade detection on the Internet. He went to Yemen in 2008 and met with al-Qaida representatives.

El-Hanafi said he regrets his actions and is embarrassed.

If the US warrants that picking up El-Hanafi in Dubai to bring him back to the US is a crime for remitting $67,000 USD to a self-imposed enemy of the state, is it also a crime to show others how to perform the same crime by using Bitcoin?
thresher

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 05:26:49 PM

So you are promoting funding terrorism?  This has nothing to do with bitcoin and you should be shot in the head, repetitively.
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 05:30:17 PM

Grin well, it's like the CTB Locker virus ... that it is only decrypt when you pay the ramson in ... bitcoin.
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 05:48:56 PM

So you are promoting funding terrorism?  This has nothing to do with bitcoin and you should be shot in the head, repetitively.

After you shoot me, make sure you shoot yourself with the same gun.

The thread was meant to protect you, yet somehow you've turned it around making me out a terrorist.
thresher

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 05:52:57 PM

The thread was meant to protect you, yet somehow you've turned it around making me out a terrorist.

By suggesting that people should use bitcoin to fund terrorism so they do not get caught is somehow protecting me?  Thank you for your hard work, I feel so much safer now. Roll Eyes
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 05:54:58 PM

Hmmm , this is an interesting news and this isn't a great  "advertising" for the bitcoin  Undecided.  When the people will read that article , will think :

bitcoin = terrorism
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 06:12:04 PM

So you are promoting funding terrorism?  This has nothing to do with bitcoin and you should be shot in the head, repetitively.

By suggesting that people should use bitcoin to fund terrorism so they do not get caught is somehow protecting me?  Thank you for your hard work, I feel so much safer now. Roll Eyes

Did you even read the OP?

If the US warrants that picking up El-Hanafi in Dubai to bring him back to the US is a crime for remitting $67,000 USD to a self-imposed enemy of the state, is it also a crime to show others how to perform the same crime by using Bitcoin?

Obviously, I'm trying to get a barring as to where it stands in mine and yours regard. Even though you nor I would fund terrorists, by convention, by simply espousing the benefits of Bitcoin, with funding rogue entities being such one, we are all abetting any entity that any State deems nefarious. In fact, some obscure law could be enacted today or tomorrow, where each of us here could be considered a criminal.

That's the purpose of the thread. Not teaching rogue individuals to use Bitcoin for their nefarious activities.
runpaint

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 06:20:41 PM

Yes, they still say that Bitcoin is used for illegal activities.

But the article is a clear example of how the U.S. government's own money is still the instrument of choice for 99% of all crime.  Unsurprisingly, they do not blame themselves for supplying criminals with the means to transfer wealth.

GoldenCryptoCommod.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: