Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:06:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Publishing cartoon of Mohammed was an act of provocation, says MI6 ex head  (Read 683 times)
shogdite (OP)

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

LIR Dev. www.letitride.io

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 08:27:27 AM

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/charlie-hebdo-publishing-cartoon-of-prophet-mohammed-was-an-act-of-provocation-says-ex-head-of-mi6-9991132.html

"The publishing of the Charlie Hebdo cartoons of  the Muslim prophet Mohammed was an act of provocation, showing a lack of respect of other peoples’ religion in the West and the backlash which came should have been expected, the recently departed head of MI6 has stated.

In his first public appearance since standing down from the post of ‘C’ Sir John Sawers declared his support for Pope Francis who had spoken out against “provocateurs” on religious matters and warned that they can expect violence in return".

▀▀█████████▀████████████████▄
                        ████▄      ▄████████████████
                     ▄██████▀  ▄  ███████████████████
                  ▄█████████▄████▄███████████████████
                ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
                                               ▀▀███▀
    ▄█▀█       ▄▀  ▄▀▀█  ▄▀   █████████████████▄ ██▀         ▄▀█
   ▄█ ▄▀      ▀█▀ █▀ █▀ ▀█▀  ███████████████████ █▀ ▀▀      ▄▀▄▀
  ▄█    ▄███  █     █   █   ████████████████████  ▄█     ▄▀▀██▀ ▄███
███▄▄▄  █▄▄▄ █▄▄ ▄▄▀   █▄▄ ██████████████████▀▀   █▄▄ ▄▄ █▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▄▄
                           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                            ▀▀█████████████▄
                                █████████████▄
                                  █████████████▄
                                    ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀
                                      ▀████▀
                                        ▀█▀
LetItRideINNOVATIVE ▬▬▬
DICE GAME
                        ▄███████████▄
                       ██  ██████████▄
                     ▄█████████████  ██▄
            ▄▄▀█▄▄▄▄▄████████████████████▄
        ▄▄█▀   ███████████  █████  ████  █
    ▄██████ ▄▄███████████████████████████▀
 ▄▀▀ ██████████████████████████  ████  █
█  ▄███████████▀▀▀█████████████████████
██████████████    ████████▀▀██████  █▀
██████████████▄▄▄██████████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███▀ ▀██████████████████████
██    ███████████████████████
██▄▄██████████████████████████
██████████████▀   ██████████
  █████████████   ▄██████▀▀
     ▀▀██████████████▀▀
         ▀▀██████▀▀
PROVABLY
F A I R
▄█████████████▀ ▄█
██            ▄█▀
██          ▄██ ▄█
██ ▄█▄    ▄███  ██
██ ▀███▄ ▄███   ██
██  ▀███████    ██
██    █████     ██
██     ███      ██
██      ▀       ██
██              ██
▀████████████████▀
BUY  BACK
PLANS
[BTC]

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 09:13:45 AM

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/charlie-hebdo-publishing-cartoon-of-prophet-mohammed-was-an-act-of-provocation-says-ex-head-of-mi6-9991132.html

"The publishing of the Charlie Hebdo cartoons of  the Muslim prophet Mohammed was an act of provocation, showing a lack of respect of other peoples’ religion in the West and the backlash which came should have been expected, the recently departed head of MI6 has stated.

In his first public appearance since standing down from the post of ‘C’ Sir John Sawers declared his support for Pope Francis who had spoken out against “provocateurs” on religious matters and warned that they can expect violence in return".

It's fun when your part of the counter-culture seeing how the roles seem to be reversed now a days
Anyways I'm with the M16 dude and the pope need to have respect even in satire, although I can see the mainstream view reading through the comment section there, although if this was Israel we were talking about "whistle" lets not go there.
_
Sir John wanted to stress that the 12 murders which resulted from the attack on the offices of the satirical magazine “cannot be justified on any basis whatsoever”. But he argued: “there is a requirement for some restraint on the side of those of us in the West. I rather agree with the Pope…. that respect for others peoples’ religion is an important part of this. If you show disrespect of others’ core values then you are going to provoke an angry response.”
_

I do like his position on spying, it's fine if its them but not us.
_
However, there is also public apprehension about “snooping” by the government. Sir John acknowledged the concern and called for a new compact between the Internet companies and the security agencies which would reassure the public but also allow surveillance to combat terrorism.

“Of course there is a dilemma here because the general public and politicians and the technology companies … they want us to be able to monitor the activities of terrorists and other evildoers but they do not want their own activities to be open to any such monitoring.

“We have to find a way as a society whereby the technology companies and those responsible for the security of our society can work together so that the interests of both can be met with limited compromise. I don’t this is a trade-off between security and privacy, I think they go together.”
_

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Gervais

Activity: 366
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 03:21:20 PM

"The publishing of the Charlie Hebdo cartoons of  the Muslim prophet Mohammed was an act of provocation, showing a lack of respect of other peoples’ religion in the West and the backlash which came should have been expected, the recently departed head of MI6 has stated.

I don't think we have to respect others religious beliefs do we? If someone disrespects you or says something you don't like; tough titty - learn to deal with. Protest if you have to, but don't murder people. And provoked them in what way? Into being offended? We cannot censor opinions just because of the threat of someone being provoked into murder. That's giving in to terrorism.
fenghush

Activity: 658

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 03:23:28 PM

I have no respect for bullshit, just the truth. You can check the truth under the hood, see how it works, question it, try to break it and it will never be offended, bullshit on the other hand is quite trivial to offend.

Madness

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

My goal is becaming a billionaire.

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2015, 04:24:10 PM

I don't think that some people need any Intelligence agency to tell them that this was an act of Provocation for muslims .
Freedom of speech they said , they insult prophets & religions then say freedom of speech . Whenever you say "Je suis Charlie" you became a cool guy , Whever you say "Je suis Mohammed" you became a terrorist who want to spread the terror on whole world and you go to jail.

Freedom they said ... each one have the right to say & dress whatever he wants , but whenever a woman dress Nikab (something like hijab) she should pay taxes . yep cool

Rishblitz

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

I'm nothing without GOD

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 01:32:05 AM

I don't think that some people need any Intelligence agency to tell them that this was an act of Provocation for muslims .
Freedom of speech they said , they insult prophets & religions then say freedom of speech . Whenever you say "Je suis Charlie" you became a cool guy , Whever you say "Je suis Mohammed" you became a terrorist who want to spread the terror on whole world and you go to jail.

Freedom they said ... each one have the right to say & dress whatever he wants , but whenever a woman dress Nikab (something like hijab) she should pay taxes . yep cool

peoples beleifs should be respected to a certain degree but you should still be able to argue with said person and make jokes.

pattu1

Activity: 675

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 05:05:40 AM

Freedom of expression should be absolute.
Even if we do impose constraints, certain lunatics might find some way to get offended.
Madness

Activity: 644

My goal is becaming a billionaire.

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2015, 06:08:30 AM

peoples beleifs should be respected to a certain degree but you should still be able to argue with said person and make jokes.

Then explain me how they asked the CEO of Charlie hebdo to excuse when he insulted the son of the ex-president of France because he married to a jewish women and he converted to their religion and when he refused to execuse he became without a job , where is the freedom of expression here
I'am pretty sure that a son of a president is nothing compared to any of the prophets ... so yeah there is no freedom in france , just provoking muslims .

Possum577

Activity: 434

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2015, 07:28:31 AM

The beauty of freedom of speech is that it's OK if the MI6 ex head believes this, think this. He doesn't deserve to be punished or killed for believing this, much like the Hebdo writers didn't deserve to die for what they thought.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: