Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 09:59:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Justice Is Served I Guess  (Read 2020 times)
bornil267645 (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2015, 03:45:51 PM

A Florida plumber was given four years of prison on Tuesday because of his involvement in an underground Bitcoin exchange selling the digital currency to users of the black market website Silk Road.

Serves Him Right !!!

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/internet/news/us-bitcoin-exchanger-who-sold-on-silk-road-gets-4-years-in-prison-651937

thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 04:22:50 PM

Just a question: Would this have happened if he was using Monero and running the stuff over Maidsafe?
General_A

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 04:39:20 PM

I personally fail to see why this man deserves to be jailed.

manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 04:40:03 PM

I guess OP is being ironic about it..
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 04:43:21 PM

So do I. He wasn't involved in drugs. His only wrongdoing is about money transmission.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
marcotheminer
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 04:46:43 PM

SilkRoad was something that sparked bitcoin's discovery and surge into the 'mainstream'. Not only that but it was a revolutionary idea (the market, escrow system, general idea). You should be saying thanks.
General_A

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 04:54:45 PM

SilkRoad was something that sparked bitcoin's discovery and surge into the 'mainstream'. Not only that but it was a revolutionary idea (the market, escrow system, general idea). You should be saying thanks.
Agreed - plus buying drugs online was pretty cool Wink !

P.s. I joke

RealKruncha

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 04:55:18 PM

All the banks should be jailed for supplying money to drug dealers, and various other criminals. HSBC is notorious for it's dealings in black market activity, jail those sods...

I know (at least i think) the thread is in jest, but it shows the double standards these monopoly people have trying to keep their way of life.

K.
General_A

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 04:58:23 PM

All the banks should be jailed for supplying money to drug dealers, and various other criminals. HSBC is notorious for it's dealings in black market activity, jail those sods...

I know (at least i think) the thread is in jest, but it shows the double standards these monopoly people have trying to keep their way of life.

K.
Couldn't actually agree more. Or maybe instead of jailing the banks make the kinda activity that they conduct legal to everybody. Level the playing field is what I say....

pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1571

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2015, 05:07:58 PM

Robert Faiella, 55, was sentenced by U.S. District Judge Jed Rakoff in Manhattan after pleading guilty to operating an unlicensed money transmitting business.

OK, I'm missing something here.

At that time bitcoin was considered digital asset (or better yet, its legal status wasn't clear). The guy was selling the asset on Shrem's platform (which was registered as legal business), so how is that making him a "money transmitter"? How did he brake the law (apart from not paying taxes on gains)?

How's selling something on ebay (including bitcoin) different than selling on bitinstant?

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 05:15:08 PM

Robert Faiella, 55, was sentenced by U.S. District Judge Jed Rakoff in Manhattan after pleading guilty to operating an unlicensed money transmitting business.

At that time bitcoin was considered digital asset (or better yet, its legal status wasn't clear). The guy was selling the asset on Shrem's platform (which was registered as legal business), so how is that making him a "money transmitter"? How did he brake the law (apart from not paying taxes on gains)?

How's selling something on ebay (including bitcoin) different than selling on bitinstant?
In the U.S. you can not have a business that moves BTC for dollars without a Money Transmitter License. You would be operating a Money Service Business. This is why bitcoin ATMs have not caught on here. The licensees are state by state and can cost as much as 25 million dollars for one state.
If you find this law unfair, then call your elected officials. They are the only people who can change this. 

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 05:19:05 PM

Stupid fcking media at its best. Spreading BS titles and intentionally mislead general public about the "news"

There is no " involvement in an underground Bitcoin exchange selling the digital currency to users of the black market website Silk Road." charge. The charge is "unlicensed Money transmitter"

Basically he sold and bought BTC on behalf of his client. The key here is "behalf of someone else, ie. brokerage ". He did not buy or sell bitcoins for himself.

Another charge was tax offense related which often called "money laundering". Funny word for not paying the government their shares

All that add up to his sentence.

kolloh
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1023

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 05:23:03 PM

Was he actually running this to directly help people purchase from Silk Road or was he simply allowing the buying/selling of bitcoin? Seems like a jump to relate him to Silk Road.
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1571

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2015, 05:28:11 PM

In the U.S. you can not have a business that moves BTC for dollars without a Money Transmitter License. You would be operating a Money Service Business. This is why bitcoin ATMs have not caught on here. The licensees are state by state and can cost as much as 25 million dollars for one state.
If you find this law unfair, then call your elected officials. They are the only people who can change this.  

But was it clear at the time SR was operating? If there was no official guidance from authorities on how to treat bitcoin, the guy had every right to sell it just as any other asset (since it wasn't officially recognised as currency or financial instrument).

Actually at what point do you need MT license for selling BTC? Is there any trading threshold? Can you legally sell BTC1 for cash, as one-time sell, not a business activity?

Edit:

Now, this would make sense:

Stupid fcking media at its best. Spreading BS titles and intentionally mislead general public about the "news"

There is no " involvement in an underground Bitcoin exchange selling the digital currency to users of the black market website Silk Road." charge. The charge is "unlicensed Money transmitter"

Basically he sold and bought BTC on behalf of his client. The key here is "behalf of someone else, ie. brokerage ". He did not buy or sell bitcoins for himself.

Another charge was tax offense related which often called "money laundering". Funny word for not paying the government their shares

All that add up to his sentence.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 05:28:59 PM

But was it clear at the time SR was operating? If there was no official guidance from authorities on how to treat bitcoin, the guy had every right to sell it just as any other asset (since it wasn't officially recognised as currency or financial instrument).

Actually at what point do you need MT license for selling BTC? Is there any trading threshold? Can you legally sell BTC1 for cash, as one-time sell, not a business activity?

Read my post above....
pozmu

Activity: 770
Merit: 504

(っ◔◡◔)っ🍪

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 05:32:03 PM

Just a question: Would this have happened if he was using Monero and running the stuff over Maidsafe?

Does maidsafe allow you to receive anonymous fiat payments?

RealKruncha

Activity: 42

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 05:50:37 PM

K.
Couldn't actually agree more. Or maybe instead of jailing the banks make the kinda activity that they conduct legal to everybody. Level the playing field is what I say....

That would be a beauty to see, Banks working for the people - maybe one day Smiley

K.
BitCoinCool

Activity: 13

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 06:09:32 PM

couldnt disagree more. I was watching bitcoin well before the bust and media hype over SR1.
My initial reaction to the mainstream media attention was "YIKES!, Damn it! Why couldnt it be a precious
metals scam instead? The whole BMdrugs, weapons, association is going to draw from the wrong
societal sector"
Perhaps it brought bitcoin to the attention of a new group or faction- again the western english language
media loves to focus on the ugliest, the worst news available.
I wish the same attention wouldve been given the first time bitcoin broke through the $1,000. USD mark
or equivalent in EU, AUS, etc.

i will agree that the market concept has its merits. Too bad.
fritz

Activity: 45

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 06:10:46 PM

So he goes to jail because he made a transaction that did not benefit the state or what?
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 06:24:37 PM

Good questions. Who wants to risk jail and poverty to be the test case? lol.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: