Bitcoin Forum
May 20, 2024, 10:42:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Winklevoss launching "Gemini" serving bitcoin to wall street on a golden plate  (Read 8151 times)
Morguk

Activity: 594
Merit: 506

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 04:57:20 PM

This is amazing!

Calculate the chance of hitting a bitcoin block when solo mining at
Patel
Legendary

Activity: 1321
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2015, 05:23:53 PM

When is the launch date for this?

I think I read somewhere like "as soon as the etf goes live" or "after bitlicense comes out"

I can't remember where or if I read that correctly.
knight22 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 05:28:23 PM

When is the launch date for this?

I think I read somewhere like "as soon as the etf goes live" or "after bitlicense comes out"

I can't remember where or if I read that correctly.

This is also my understanding.

stonerider

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 05:29:31 PM

I think NYTimes said the launch date was "later this year."
tmfp
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1737

"Common rogue from Russia with a bare ass."

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 05:31:56 PM

Hands up who actually knows what an "ETF" is.

Winkdex lol.

Extraordinary Claims require Extraordinary Evidence
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 05:33:09 PM

Since we have to be able to interact with the real (fiat) world, this is great news. I would also like to see more decent "Wild West" exchanges which build a good reputation, while being based in offshore locations.

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 05:34:22 PM

Thanks guys! It is about time we had this. And frankly, it is more compelling to me than an ETF.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2015, 07:15:03 PM

Tighten your seat belt, the ride is going to be wild  Cool
https://blog.gemini.com/welcome-to-gemini/

I like the sound of this exchange. It is operated by well known businessmen in a country with developed regulations on accounting, audit and laws. The Winklevoss can sustain losses if exchange is hacked, and would not disappear. There would be no more wiring money to shady accounts to get fiat into an exchange. I have always believed we need a trusted exchange for bitcoin to prosper and this is going to be the start of a global mega exchange.
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 07:18:11 PM

Can anyone explain me why are they coming up with yet another exchange? how are they going to get liquidity? i don't see the point. The point of the ETF was that people can dump stocks and get bitcoin, or sell bitcoins and buy stocks. This new, separated, exchange made no sense, there's already a toon of exchanges.
BayAreaCoins
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 1247

Owner at AltQuick.com & FreeBitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2015, 07:22:13 PM

Can anyone explain me why are they coming up with yet another exchange? how are they going to get liquidity? i don't see the point. The point of the ETF was that people can dump stocks and get bitcoin, or sell bitcoins and buy stocks. This new, separated, exchange made no sense, there's already a toon of exchanges.

It's a good thing Smiley

Don't you worry your lil socks off!

https://AltQuick.com/exchange/ - Trade altcoins & Bitcoin Testnet coins with real Bitcoin. Fast, private, and easy!
https://FreeBitcoins.com/faucet/ - Load your AltQuick exchange account with free Bitcoins & Testnet every 10 minutes.
Patel
Legendary

Activity: 1321
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2015, 08:30:46 PM

Maybe they were getting a hard time from the SEC about not having any high-volume regulated bitcoin exchanges in the USA, for the Bitcoin ETF.

Their own exchange will be a source for buying/selling coins for the ETF.

ThatDGuy

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 08:35:04 PM

Awesome news! Bitcoin starting to get exciting again!
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 08:46:53 PM

if they do not fuck it up it is quite big news.

one of the most legimate critiques on bitcoin is the bottleneck problem, e.g. the point where the system interoperates with the fiat world.

this was up to this point valid, because you had to trust exchanges, which were run at best in a grey area of jurisdiction. these exchanges were almost solely responsible for the external price determination of bitcoin.

if they manage to reduce this problem they really strengthen the ecosystem of bitcoin.

Dead on man.  Especially being a well funded New York exchange.

Let's hope they have lock down security.

Indeed. Toward that end, the bitcoin community should press them for:

1) Details about their hot/cold wallet management plans (to the extent that it's appropriate to divulge, obv)

2) A proof of reserve plan, in addition to whatever legacy audits BitLicensure requires

3) Multisig

4) Transparency (this is vague, but the more open they are in terms of addresses, dark/light pools, short/long interest, proof that they're not allowing naked shorting, etc, the better)

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
pa

Activity: 528
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 08:50:00 PM

Does the fact that the Winklevosses are setting up an exchange suggest that their ETF application is not going to be approved? A fully licensed and regulated exchange could serve as an on-ramp for institutional investors.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 08:53:13 PM

Does the fact that the Winklevosses are setting up an exchange suggest that their ETF application is not going to be approved? A fully licensed and regulated exchange could serve as an on-ramp for institutional investors.

The exchange's existence would certainly help the ETF application. I can barely believe they sent it in with the state of exchanges as they were.

'There's this one somewhere in E Europe but no one knows who runs it. There's this one registered to a small box in the UK that got broken into the other day. Then, er, there's this Hong Kong one with some offshore Chinese account that's in Beta still and the only contact details are on email.'
knight22 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372

--------------->¿?

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 08:54:51 PM

From their blog:

Over the past two and a half years, we have spent a great deal of time educating ourselves and others about Bitcoin; investing in bitcoin; investing in Bitcoin-related companies; filing an S-1 registration statement with the Securities and Exchange Commission to create the Winklevoss Bitcoin Trust (an ETF focused on bringing bitcoin investment exposure to main street investors) which will list on NASDAQ; and launching a bitcoin price index called WinkDex that will price our ETF (online, iPhone, Android).

BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 08:56:07 PM

Time for the winkleyvossys to bring in the big money... bitcoin must look good to investors who wanna create a bubble for a nice x10 x20 move.
Dilla

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 08:57:41 PM

Shit is about to get real serious.
HarmonLi

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Honest 80s business!

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 09:09:38 PM

Well, just go ahead and do whatever you can to push BTC forward! I think it's a great thing to have more and more competitors. People and investors will profit from the competition and the increased supply. It looks like there's a good 2015 ahead of us!

pa

Activity: 528
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 09:59:03 PM

From their blog:

Over the past two and a half years, we have spent a great deal of time educating ourselves and others about Bitcoin; investing in bitcoin; investing in Bitcoin-related companies; filing an S-1 registration statement with the Securities and Exchange Commission to create the Winklevoss Bitcoin Trust (an ETF focused on bringing bitcoin investment exposure to main street investors) which will list on NASDAQ; and launching a bitcoin price index called WinkDex that will price our ETF (online, iPhone, Android).

Interesting. Should we take that literally or as optimistic boilerplate?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: