Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 09:01:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Winklevoss launching "Gemini" serving bitcoin to wall street on a golden plate  (Read 8151 times)
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 10:00:12 PM

Does the fact that the Winklevosses are setting up an exchange suggest that their ETF application is not going to be approved? A fully licensed and regulated exchange could serve as an on-ramp for institutional investors.

From their blog:

Over the past two and a half years, we have spent a great deal of time educating ourselves and others about Bitcoin; investing in bitcoin; investing in Bitcoin-related companies; filing an S-1 registration statement with the Securities and Exchange Commission to create the Winklevoss Bitcoin Trust (an ETF focused on bringing bitcoin investment exposure to main street investors) which will list on NASDAQ; and launching a bitcoin price index called WinkDex that will price our ETF (online, iPhone, Android).

Interesting. Should we take that literally or as optimistic boilerplate?

If it was a definite they'd be shouting it already surely?
2dogs
Legendary

Activity: 1267
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 10:04:14 PM

Lol
Fools..
Nothing is going to happen... Except for another big crash

I'm with you, bro.
It's all smoke and mirrors - a big zero.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2015, 10:09:29 PM

if they do not fuck it up it is quite big news.

one of the most legimate critiques on bitcoin is the bottleneck problem, e.g. the point where the system interoperates with the fiat world.

this was up to this point valid, because you had to trust exchanges, which were run at best in a grey area of jurisdiction. these exchanges were almost solely responsible for the external price determination of bitcoin.

if they manage to reduce this problem they really strengthen the ecosystem of bitcoin.

Dead on man.  Especially being a well funded New York exchange.

Let's hope they have lock down security.

Security through absurdity?
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2015, 10:11:37 PM

Rocket to Gemini Smiley
Hyena
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1013

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2015, 10:21:02 PM

Does the fact that the Winklevosses are setting up an exchange suggest that their ETF application is not going to be approved? A fully licensed and regulated exchange could serve as an on-ramp for institutional investors.

From their blog:

Over the past two and a half years, we have spent a great deal of time educating ourselves and others about Bitcoin; investing in bitcoin; investing in Bitcoin-related companies; filing an S-1 registration statement with the Securities and Exchange Commission to create the Winklevoss Bitcoin Trust (an ETF focused on bringing bitcoin investment exposure to main street investors) which will list on NASDAQ; and launching a bitcoin price index called WinkDex that will price our ETF (online, iPhone, Android).

Interesting. Should we take that literally or as optimistic boilerplate?

We should take it like this:

★★★ CryptoGraffiti.info ★★★ Hidden Messages Found from the Block Chain (Thread)
BrewCrewFan

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 10:55:31 PM

We should take it like this:

Interesting.

Plus I see insured I think that is a big part of what is keeping people out.

Free SIGNs giving everyday. Be part, do not miss!.
SqMe5ceYfdcGsRyVpgvpYb6bRLS9j8omvB

XChat : Addy : XYuZESQpeMtZ2wit8nVVnXKGytfiaTBCo6 PubKey : eteshLzeq8Bh54BRjGSunMTc6Ytxtk7HYaSmDYMQn61z
HarmonLi

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Honest 80s business!

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 11:10:43 PM

What do you people think: Do the twins already know the day their fund goes online or are they just as oblivious as anyone of us is? They could time the release of their projects in order to generate the "biggest bang possible" and boost their products.

Hyena
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2015, 11:13:00 PM

What do you people think: Do the twins already know the day their fund goes online or are they just as oblivious as anyone of us is? They could time the release of their projects in order to generate the "biggest bang possible" and boost their products.

They could even lie to the media spreading FUD so that they could buy up cheap coins.

randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 11:15:12 PM

action speaks louder than words....
so far only words. people get excited for nothing.
HarmonLi

Honest 80s business!

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 11:19:21 PM

They could even lie to the media spreading FUD so that they could buy up cheap coins.

Yeah but do you see them doing such a thing? I've yet to see them releasing negative rumors about their ETF or the exchange. This would just ruin their reputation. I guess it really bugs them they're not allowed to tell the media about the release date!

BrewCrewFan

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 11:27:30 PM

Yeah but do you see them doing such a thing? I've yet to see them releasing negative rumors about their ETF or the exchange. This would just ruin their reputation. I guess it really bugs them they're not allowed to tell the media about the release date!

Not only that but the image of BTC is really fragile right now where the normal joe to this day still thinks that BTC is used for nothing but illegal activities... because that is all the big headlines they see repeated in the news.

Free SIGNs giving everyday. Be part, do not miss!.
SqMe5ceYfdcGsRyVpgvpYb6bRLS9j8omvB

XChat : Addy : XYuZESQpeMtZ2wit8nVVnXKGytfiaTBCo6 PubKey : eteshLzeq8Bh54BRjGSunMTc6Ytxtk7HYaSmDYMQn61z
HarmonLi

Honest 80s business!

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 11:29:07 PM

Not only that but the image of BTC is really fragile right now where the normal joe to this day still thinks that BTC is used for nothing but illegal activities... because that is all the big headlines they see repeated in the news.

Yeah, but I'm certain there are enough people at least slightly interested in Bitcoin who will jump on the train as soon as the next bubble starts and the media start reporting on Bitcoin on a daily basis again.

minerpumpkin

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 11:48:42 PM

Looks like a very interesting venture. They seem really interested in Bitcoin. Not only the ETF, but also an exchange... I'm impressed, really! Even if their projects don't go to the moon instantly, it's important to have the vehicles ready as soon as the money starts to flow!

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
Hyena
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2015, 11:50:54 PM

Looks like a very interesting venture. They seem really interested in Bitcoin. Not only the ETF, but also an exchange... I'm impressed, really! Even if their projects don't go to the moon instantly, it's important to have the vehicles ready as soon as the money starts to flow!

You mean the rocket?

knight22 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372

--------------->¿?

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 11:51:45 PM

...go to the moon...
...it's important to have the vehicles ready...

You mean the rocket?

Grin

minerpumpkin

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 11:54:18 PM

You mean the rocket?

You're right, in the Bitcoin world, investment vehicles are actually rockets  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Man, I'm really anticipating all those rocket-train pictures in the wall observer! I just can't wait! Cheesy

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 11:55:21 PM

It is a mistake for them to create yet another disaster-waiting-to-happen mtgox style exchange. It should only be open 8 hours a day and should allow floor, dark pool, and OTC trading. Only gamblers want 24/7 exchanges and they will die out as they get hacked.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
minerpumpkin

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 11:59:42 PM

It is a mistake for them to create yet another disaster-waiting-to-happen mtgox style exchange. It should only be open 8 hours a day and should allow floor, dark pool, and OTC trading. Only gamblers want 24/7 exchanges and they will die out as they get hacked.

You want those exchanges as well, yeah. But Bitcoin is a currency made for the Internet. You want to be able to trade it 24/7 and not being impeded by bank holidays dictated by a certain country. Would you really want to wait for your exchange to open the doors when a crash or a rise is currently happening?

jaberwock
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1073

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 12:03:59 AM

8h open every day while all other exchanges operate 24h?

Who would be dumb enough to use such exchange?

Morbid
Legendary

Activity: 1202
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 12:10:10 AM

... and here is your legal way out of the fiat pain gents..
i deeply congratulate the twins with outstanding work that they've done over the course of almost two years.  this exchange might not be perfect as of now - but if it grows enough they would obviously be making it more trader-friendly. they really pushed the legal boundries of our current wounded system. we might be able to be a bit more naughty in future.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: