Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 10:25:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Semi online wallets  (Read 1011 times)
jago25_98 (OP)

Activity: 900
Merit: 1000

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 07:10:37 AM

I'm stuck with shared internet resources on a boat and I need to pay someone in BTC.

Let's say I have a private key worth in excess of the amount I need to pay. What is the most direct way I can do this?

A lightweight client like Electrum is an option for me since I do have the ability to run an executable. However, I don't like trusting machines that can run executables without 2 factor authentication like one time use passwords. In addition, it would be nice to be prepared for the time when running .exe's is not possible.

I also don't trust fully online hosted wallets now after MyBitcoin, MtGox and the others.

I think there's a case for being able to store part of a wallet locally, and/or with one time passwords, and part remotely.

This can be done with a little customised hacking and the paper based javascript wallet system but it's clunky for this application. The main problem is that even if you prepare a load of private keys on a secure connection you then can't divide those amounts offline or online in a secure way without that trusted computer.

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 07:18:47 AM

you can import the private key into blockchain, and setup 2 factor auth.
jago25_98 (OP)

Activity: 900

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 07:28:51 AM

Thanks buddy! Didn't know Blockchain.info had that!

I guess the other way would be something in javascript like paper wallet but able to do transactions

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 12:56:37 PM

Thanks buddy! Didn't know Blockchain.info had that!

I guess the other way would be something in javascript like paper wallet but able to do transactions

You can even use blockchain.info offline while your wallet is decrypted and you're creating the transaction.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: