Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 10:06:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I just bought my first bitcoins!!  (Read 2220 times)
knight22 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 01:16:52 PM

I just bought my first bitcoins in person from someone who made an announcement in this forum. I liked the experience and everything went good  Grin.
Don't forget to take your precautions when doing transaction from someone you don't know!

The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kpatrickwv

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 02:56:47 PM

That's pretty neat.  Where I am, the bitcoin market is new, so I don't think that kind of interaction is possible yet.  Hopefully soon!
jokwerd

Activity: 7

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 08:43:03 PM

Awesome! I bought some last week for the first time and it felt like freedom.  Grin
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4612

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 11:09:28 PM

That's pretty neat.  Where I am, the bitcoin market is new, so I don't think that kind of interaction is possible yet.  Hopefully soon!
Bitcoin tends to be wider spread than many realize.  What country are you in?
knight22 (OP)
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 11:22:01 PM

Awesome! I bought some last week for the first time and it felt like freedom.  Grin

Hell yeah!!

knight22 (OP)
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 11:22:30 PM

I'm located in Quebec, Canada

Taz

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 11:30:12 PM

Gratz, I'll be getting some soon too.
The rate seems to be going up fast.
Question is buy right now or hope for a big dip?
Sherkel
aka Tombstoner

Activity: 131

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 11:51:17 PM

There's a hype for $8 soon, but I don't know how reliable the "Speculation" section really is. Either way, I got slightly over 5 today using BitInstant and a cash deposit (took forever to deal with the people at CVS, but that's to be expected,) and including fees it was $43.95. The chart price was around $7.50 at the time, but the fees are reasonable (or at least realistic) given all the processing BitInstant and the sites that connect to it do for you.

What do you get when you cross dominoes and The Matrix?
<A dominatrix!>
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 11:52:17 PM

I'm located in Quebec, Canada
That's great, but if you look, you'll see I was asking kpatrickwv where is was located, because he stated that where he is that kind of interaction isn't possible.
Camper69

Activity: 24

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 06:38:25 AM

Good for you. This is all new to me, a friend introduced me and just showed me basics haha how long did you have to wait before you could make a transaction? and how would i go about doing this?
Sherkel
aka Tombstoner

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 06:43:23 AM

Good for you. This is all new to me, a friend introduced me and just showed me basics haha how long did you have to wait before you could make a transaction? and how would i go about doing this?

1. Go to BitInstant, fill out the needed info, print the form ~ about 5 minutes
2. Bike/drive to the deposit location (CVS for me) ~ about 15 minutes
3. Talk to the MoneyGram rep on the red phone ~ about 10 minutes
4. Give cashier money and wait for them to figure out what they're doing ~ about 5 minutes
5. Wait for the transaction to process ~ about 5 minutes

It's not actually that bad with that method compared to how it apparently was before BitInstant.

<A dominatrix!>
Camper69

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 07:28:40 AM

4. Give cashier money and wait for them to figure out what they're doing ~ about 5 minutes

It's not actually that bad with that method compared to how it apparently was before BitInstant.

now i was told to go buy a green dot money pack and put money on it then send the code over to peple
Sherkel
aka Tombstoner

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 08:33:45 AM

now i was told to go buy a green dot money pack and put money on it then send the code over to peple
There are infinitely many ways to do it. I don't know what that is, but if it's worked for others, then it should work for you.

<A dominatrix!>
Camper69

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 03:46:01 AM

There are infinitely many ways to do it. I don't know what that is, but if it's worked for others, then it should work for you.
Thank you good to know i will have to try both ways to see what one is more efficeient
capsqrl

Activity: 444
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 07:40:35 AM

knight22, can you describe the process? Did you both bring laptops, or smartphones or whatever?

Norsk Bitcoin-bruker? Kom til /r/BitcoinNO på reddit!
support_en.mybitcointrade

Activity: 38

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2012, 10:54:08 AM

Congratulations Smiley

Perhaps you can do some more bitcoins, when you invest 'em on mybitcointrade.com (just some advertisment)
David3030

Activity: 2

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 12:21:54 PM

knight22, can you describe the process? Did you both bring laptops, or smartphones or whatever?

That's the way I did it with an in-person trade. Sat at a Starbucks and did business via the free wifi, had a (free!) coffee and that was that.
scribe

Activity: 295
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2012, 02:03:47 PM

Great stuff. I've recently made my first couple of BTC sale trades online (people finding me through localbitcoins.com), but today I've actually had an enquiry from someone in the same town. It's pretty fun chatting to buyers about bitcoin and life...

blocknois.es Bitcoin music label. ~ New release: This Is Art

Read: Bitcoin Life | Wear: FUTUREECONOMY
northlake

Activity: 14

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 05:07:20 PM

I've done some local btc<-->usd stuff with friends and family who were curious about BTC, but weren't willing to jump through all the hoops to do it online. Even with bitinstant, buying bitcoins is still a huge pain in the ass for a beginner, to the point where I'm sure a lot of people tried to get into it and quit. There's a good opportunity for people doing local transactions for a similar fee to bitinstant.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 02:13:09 PM

There's a good opportunity for people doing local transactions. . .
I've had a listing up on localbitcoins.com for 3 weeks now. I have the lowest fee listed for 125 miles.  I've only been contacted by one person so far and they wanted to know if I could do the transaction over the internet so they wouldn't have to meet face-to-face. I asked how they would get the USD to me, and never heard back form them.  Hopefully things will pick up in my area, but for now there doesn't seem to be much going on with bitcoin.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: