Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 04:56:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Would you pay for music if artists widely accepted Bitcoin?
Yes, I would pay artists more often for recorded music.
No, I would still not pay artists for recorded music.
I already pay for all music that I download... why would you assume everyone on this forum is a pirate?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Poll] Would you pay for music if artists widely accepted Bitcoin?  (Read 1212 times)
novusordo (OP)

Activity: 800
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 05:02:55 PM

This assumes that most of the money from payment goes directly to the artist, as opposed to the current system of record companies getting the biggest chunk of the funds.

█████
                        █████████████
                     █████████████
                 ██████████████        █████
              █████████████        ████████████
          ██████████████        █████████████
       █████████████        █████████████       ██████
       ██████████        ████████████           ██████
       ███████       █████████████       ███    ██████
       ███████    █████████████       ██████    ██████
       ████████████████████       ██████████    ██████
       █████████████████       █████████████    ██████
       █████████████       █████████████        ██████
       ██████████       █████████████           ██████
       ███████      ██████████████       ███    ██████
       ██████    █████████████       ███████    ██████
       ██████    ██████████       ██████████    ██████
       ██████    ██████        █████████████    ██████
       ██████    ███       █████████████        ██████
       ██████           █████████████       ██████████
       ██████       █████████████        █████████████
                 █████████████       █████████████
              ████████████        █████████████
                  ████         ████████████
                           █████████████
                         ███████████
                            █████
Ferrum Network • Interoperability Network for Financial Applications
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 05:19:09 PM

Perhaps you should rephrase the question to  "No, I would still not pay artists for RECORDED music." since I frequent the clubs on a weekend basis and spend more on a weekend than I do recorded music.

Live entertainment is where the money is now so I feel that the pool is not fairly weighted.

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 05:31:28 PM

Here is why I refuse to use services such as itunes:

Some of them embed watermarks in the downloaded mp3 files, forever linking them to your identity. This creates an unreasonable liability for me that is completely disproportional compared to the tiny amount paid for an mp3 file.

If I forget my smartphone on a train and then some jackass uploads my mp3s on bittorrent, then I will have to face a huge amount of legal trouble, prove my innocence, and possibly be sued for gazillions of dollars.

Call me paranoid but it's simply not worth the risk. True, the likelihood of the above happening is small, but the potential damage if it does happen is huge.

Even the services that say they don't use watermarks can't be trusted, because it's impossible to prove that something is not watermarked, and the MAFIAA has a track record of playing dirty.

That's why I would embrace a music download service where I could pay anonymously.  Bitcoin would be perfect for this.

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
unclemantis

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 05:35:50 PM

Here is why I refuse to use services such as itunes:

Some of them embed watermarks in the downloaded mp3 files, forever linking them to your identity. This creates an unreasonable liability for me that is completely disproportional compared to the tiny amount paid for an mp3 file.

If I forget my smartphone on a train and then some jackass uploads my mp3s on bittorrent, then I will have to face a huge amount of legal trouble, prove my innocence, and possibly be sued for gazillions of dollars.

Call me paranoid but it's simply not worth the risk. True, the likelihood of the above happening is small, but the potential damage if it does happen is huge.

Even the services that say they don't use watermarks can't be trusted, because it's impossible to prove that something is not watermarked, and the MAFIAA has a track record of playing dirty.

That's why I would embrace a music download service where I could pay anonymously.  Bitcoin would be perfect for this.

Download music direct from artist. I know a lot of artists that are using torrent!

Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
SpontaneousDisorder

Activity: 87

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 05:48:04 PM

I already pay for music from smaller artists. I would rather pay with Bitcoin direct to the artist as a donation and bypass the promotion driven record company bullshit.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 05:53:19 PM
Last edit: July 15, 2012, 01:41:06 AM by casascius

To me, this unlikely risk is not big enough for me to avoid iTunes.  In the case of iTunes, it is not trivial for the average user to take your music off an iPhone anyway.

The way I look at it is iTunes scored a serious walloping on the record labels.  Have you heard of the not-so-much-paraded feature called "iTunes Match"?  iTunes Match is a pay service which makes it even lower on the radar.  But I pay for it and consider it a steal ($25/year).

If you turn on iTunes Match, iTunes will scan all your music on your hard drive - including MP3's - even if they are ripped or pirated - and then iTunes will permanently pretend that you bought that music from iTunes for as long as you subscribe.  That enables you to redownload Apple's high-bitrate copy and get all the album art and have it fully sync to all your iTunes-compatible devices, just like you bought it.  Although they come as .AAC files, iTunes has a semi-hidden feature that converts it all to MP3 or WAV or other formats, completely in bulk with intact metadata.  I don't see Apple as a RIAA pawn.

iTunes Match also lets you copy music from your "collection" over the air (including cellular) on demand to your iPhone, as well as remove it.  So if you are walking down the street and want to listen to one of your pirated MP3's you have at home if only it were loaded on your phone, you can download it from iTunes and enjoy it right then and there.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, on all these iTunes downloads there's no DRM.  I take that for granted nowadays and didn't even think about it.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
novusordo (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 05:55:21 PM

Perhaps you should rephrase the question to  "No, I would still not pay artists for RECORDED music." since I frequent the clubs on a weekend basis and spend more on a weekend than I do recorded music.

Live entertainment is where the money is now so I feel that the pool is not fairly weighted.

Fixed the poll, but paying for live music with BTC is an interesting idea, like buying concert tickets with BTC, scanning the QR code of a band playing at a local club, etc.

█████
                        █████████████
                     █████████████
                           █████████████
                         ███████████
                            █████
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 06:14:44 PM

The only way I'm ever willing to pay for just the music is through a tip jar.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
novusordo (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 06:19:46 PM

What if you could download music for a nonzero price in BTC that you set yourself?

█████
                        █████████████
                     █████████████
                           █████████████
                         ███████████
                            █████
unclemantis

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 06:32:04 PM

Fixed the poll, but paying for live music with BTC is an interesting idea, like buying concert tickets with BTC, scanning the QR code of a band playing at a local club, etc.

I am already working on a service locally for this.

kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 06:34:16 PM

I already paid for a music download. I just need moar income. (I get .05 BTC a day)

hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 06:49:48 PM

What if you could download music for a nonzero price in BTC that you set yourself?

Yeah, I'd be fine with that, but I wouldn't pay more than a few cents for most of my downloads, not that I really download a lot of music.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
asdf

Activity: 527
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 10:00:17 PM

I will not pay for imaginary property.

I will donate an arbitrary amount to a content producer that I like. Esp with Bitcoin.
Littleshop
Legendary

Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2012, 01:27:44 AM

I pay for music via iTunes and do not have a problem with Apple making 30%.  The problem that I have is most (but not all) artists are not getting the remaining 70%.  Some independent artists as well as larger artists with their own label do get most of the remainder, but the majority get less then 10%.  

I like the fact that Apple releases non DRM'd music and have no problem with my name being tagged on the files that I bought.  I do not intend to copy my library to others and if I did I would run a stripper.  

I have contacted two artists that I know personally and so far neither has accepted the offer for me to get them into bitcoin.  Maybe in the future they will.  

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2012, 01:42:41 AM

I have no problem with record companies getting paid and artists not getting the whole pie.  It takes much more to bring a record to market than the talent of the lead performer.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: