Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:01:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A ransomware that demands 8 Bitcoins hits Indian sub-continent  (Read 4587 times)
polynesia (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 02:48:55 PM

Beware: A ransomware that demands 8 Bitcoins hits Indian sub-continent

http://www.firstpost.com/business/beware-a-ransomware-that-demands-8-bitcoins-hits-indian-sub-continent-2057429.html

eScan has warned IT users of a ransomware that has been creating havoc in the Indian sub-continent since January 19, 2015 evening. According to the IT security company the ransomware has the capability to encrypt all the user document files stored in the systems that are infected by it. Further to which, it demands ransom of 8 Bitcoins to decrypt them.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
shahadil

Activity: 202
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 07:03:49 PM

I had someone contact me last month who knew nothing of bitcoins for a similar case. He was lucky though. They only wanted INR 9000 equivalent.
arvindr

Activity: 182

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 11:30:28 PM

http://www.firstpost.com/business/beware-a-ransomware-that-demands-8-bitcoins-hits-indian-sub-continent-2057429.html

eScan has warned IT users of a ransomware that has been creating havoc in the Indian sub-continent since January 19, 2015 evening. According to the IT security company the ransomware has the capability to encrypt all the user document files stored in the systems that are infected by it. Further to which, it demands ransom of 8 Bitcoins to decrypt them.

I am confused. It says he has the capability to encrypt the files. But wouldn't it be harmful, if he could decrypt them ?
Please correct me if I am understanding this wrong.
EDIT: Never mind, just read the article, seems  encryption was meant in another way.

polynesia (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 02:35:49 AM

I had someone contact me last month who knew nothing of bitcoins for a similar case. He was lucky though. They only wanted INR 9000 equivalent.

I guess there are multiple ransomware doing the rounds.
Best to keep a back up of important files.
stellar69

Activity: 196

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 02:03:16 PM

Really? Bitcoins? I mean how many people use bitcoins in India?A lakh? And how many people who use bitcoins hold 8btc? And out of those who hold 8btc how many are stupid enough to make a Trojan enter their system? And out of those who have infected systems, how many of them have important files? And those who have important files, how many will be willing to pay 8BTC?
I mean this Trojan is useless.
chronicsky
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1222

Just looking for peace

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2015, 05:41:34 PM

WTF! A ransomware , sounds so ammmm ODD :-/
Anyways thanks for the info , will make a backup of all my imp files Smiley
polynesia (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 01:30:04 AM

Really? Bitcoins? I mean how many people use bitcoins in India?A lakh? And how many people who use bitcoins hold 8btc? And out of those who hold 8btc how many are stupid enough to make a Trojan enter their system? And out of those who have infected systems, how many of them have important files? And those who have important files, how many will be willing to pay 8BTC?

I don't think that this Trojan targeted the Indian subcontinent.
It just happens that most people who got infected are Indians.  Grin
Equate

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 01:04:29 PM

Trojan might be useless but it will be trouble for many people losing their data. If it hits my Pentium 4 system , I am gonna  ship my whole system to them. Cheesy
stellar69

Activity: 196

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 03:15:44 PM

Then it must be for the Americans cause I guess there in US we have the most bitcoin users.
Isn't there any any way to decrypt the data ourselves?
Can they also encrypt when we don't have root access to the system?
polynesia (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 12:39:50 AM

Then it must be for the Americans cause I guess there in US we have the most bitcoin users.
Isn't there any any way to decrypt the data ourselves?
Can they also encrypt when we don't have root access to the system?

If there is a way for us to decrypt, the trojan really isn't successful. Smiley
Fernandez
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 06:24:04 AM

The joke's on them, if Bitcoin goes to double digits its a waste of their efforts Grin

I get surprised how easy others get infected. Any basic antivirus and following safe practices is enough to avoid any kind of malware.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

legendster

Activity: 1778
Merit: 764

www.V.systems

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 04:54:23 PM

The joke's on them, if Bitcoin goes to double digits its a waste of their efforts Grin

I get surprised how easy others get infected. Any basic antivirus and following safe practices is enough to avoid any kind of malware.

Forget AV, I have been using internet and downloading torrents without any kind of AV since 2007, never lost any files or money due to any kind of malware cuz I never got infected by them, I always say that viruses are for idiots who dont know what they are doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQe7YViyJGs

██████████        ████████████
     ██████████        ██████████
       ██████████        ████████
         ██████████        ██████
           ██████████        ████
             ██████████        ██
               ██████████
                 ██████████
                   ████████
                     ██████
                       ████
                        ██
|
     ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█                 ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
 ▄▀                ▄▀█             ▄▀                ▄▀█
 ██████████    █             ██████████    █
 █                █                   █                █    █
 █                █     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█                █    █
 █                █  ▄▀             █                █  ▄▀
 ██████████▀                 ██████████▀
          █                                    █
          █                                    █
     ▄▀ █  ▀▀▀▀█                   ▄▀ █ ▀▀▀▀▀▀█
 ▄▀             ▄▀█               ▄▀               ▄▀ █
 █████████   █               ██████████    █
 █              █   █               █                █    █
 █              █   █               █                █    █
 █              █  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █                █  ▄▀
 █████████▀                  ██████████▀

Blockchain
Database
                             ▄▄▄
                         ▄▄▀  ▀▄▄
        ▄           ▄▄▀  ▄▀▄  ▀▄▄
      █▄█   █████████████████    █
        █     █                              █ ▄▀ ▌
        █     █        ▄    █   ▄         █▀ ▄▌
       ██    █      ▀▄   █    ▄▀       █▀█
       ▌ ▌   █            █                █  █
       ▌ ▌   █                              █  █
       ██    ███████████████████
                     ▀▀▄  ▀▄▀  ▄▀▀
                         ▀▀▄  ▄▀▀
                             ▀▀▀
Dev friendly
SDK Platform
                             ▄▄▄▄
                         ▄▄█    █▄▄
                     ▄▄█            █▄▄
                 ▄▄█       ▄▄▄       █▄▄
                 █       ▄▀      ▀▄       █
               █▀     █      █      █     ▀█
               ▀▀█  █   ▄█▀█▄   █  █▀▀
               █▀▀   █  ▀███▀  █   ▀▀█
               ▀▀█     █    █    █     █▀▀
                   ▀▀█   █  █  █   █▀▀
                       ▀████████▀
                           █▄▄▄▄█
                 █        █▄▄▄▄█      █
             ▄▀ █▄                   ▄█  ▀▄
            █   █▀▄         ▀      ▄▀█    █
           █   █  █  ▌      ▀   ▐  █  █    █
           █   █▄▀▄▌      ▀   ▐▄▀▄█    █
           █       █          ▀        █       █
        █▀▀▀▀▀▀█                █▀▀▀▀▀▀█
        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀                ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
User-friendly
Token Creation
|
buysellbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1105
Merit: 1001

https://www.zebpay.com

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2015, 03:11:00 PM

When buysellbitco.in was actively trading, I had one customer from Mumbai who wanted to purchase some bitcoins ( I guess it was 2 bitcoin ). Aged person ( around 50+ ) had his files locked by some ransomware ( i guess cryptolocker or something on that lines ).

So people do get such issues.

Only solution is have a dropbox backup without local sync.

Regads

Download Zebpay Fastest way to Buy / Sell Bitcoins in India
Transaction processing within one working day and best bitcoin rates | Recharge airtime & buy vouchers of Amazon, Flipkart, Domino's at great discounts
polynesia (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2015, 01:04:12 AM

When buysellbitco.in was actively trading, I had one customer from Mumbai who wanted to purchase some bitcoins ( I guess it was 2 bitcoin ). Aged person ( around 50+ ) had his files locked by some ransomware ( i guess cryptolocker or something on that lines ).

So people do get such issues.

Only solution is have a dropbox backup without local sync.

Regads

This is sad.
It is usually aged people who fall for these.  Sad
thebitcoinquiz.com

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 07:18:37 PM

I just hope that they dont target computer games and image files. Thats all ive got on my pc. I dont use any antivirus. Is there any way that this virus can affect my dropbox files?

Stay hungry. Stay foolish.
polynesia (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 12:20:38 AM

I just hope that they dont target computer games and image files. Thats all ive got on my pc. I dont use any antivirus. Is there any way that this virus can affect my dropbox files?

Do you use Windows? If so, why don't you just install a free anitvirus program on your PC?
Amitabh S
Legendary

Activity: 1001
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 03:18:58 PM

Step 1. Make a program that encrypts users files
Step 2. Demand bitcoins to decrypt files
Step 3. Profit

Who is the genius behind this idea?

Coinsecure referral ID: https://coinsecure.in/signup/refamit (use this link to signup)
thebitcoinquiz.com

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 10:04:01 AM

Do you use Windows? If so, why don't you just install a free anitvirus program on your PC?
I don't use windows. I am using Ubuntu. I do run exe files using wine, can the malware work in ubuntu?

Stay hungry. Stay foolish.
0x101

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 12:53:32 PM

I don't use windows. I am using Ubuntu. I do run exe files using wine, can the malware work in ubuntu?

No this only affects windows
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: