Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:47:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Risks of buying Amazon.com gift cards / gift codes  (Read 4750 times)
Don007 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1007

Live like there is no tomorrow!

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 03:07:11 PM

Hi all,

On this forum I see daily transactions of people buying and selling Amazon.com gift cards and gift codes. What are the actual risks regarding buying these codes? Sure, I know the seller can keep the code after you sent you BTC, or he can send you a invalid code. However, I do also read replies over here that people are that these codes can be bought with hacked accounts and thus stolen money. Is that true?

Will it harm me if I use such "illegal codes"?

I'm asking this because I want to buy something on Amazon.com (to use for my work) but I'm short of some dollars because of the sending fee. As I don't own an American bank account neither a Credit Card, and I can't use PayPal or Bitcoin to pay at Amazon.com, I think buying these gift cards / gift codes is the only way for me to credit my balance.

I would like to hear your opinion about this. Thanks in advance!

{Curently quite inactive as I'm really busy in my private life. I will get back soon!}

-> Your line here during my inactivity? Feel free to PM <-

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitcart

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

www.bitcart.io

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2015, 03:51:45 PM

The major risk associated with trading in gift cards is that they were purchased from a stolen credit card and may be reversed a few hours after you redeem your Amazon code. If you appeal to Amazon they will tell you to sort it out with the gift card purchaser because they gave it to you as their "gift" so they will not intervene.

As with trading in general, stick to people you can trust or don't trade at all.

www.bitcart.io
Bitcart - spend bitcoins online and save!
Buy Amazon gift cards with bitcoin and save up to 20% off
Don007 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 05:16:22 PM

Thanks for your reply! Did you created an account just to answer my question? That's kind of you Wink.

I've got one code, received (for almost free) from the great BiPolarBob which worked fine. So that one was legit / legal.  But now I'm still short of some dollars for my order, so I guess I will try to find anyone who is legit too. I just found out this topic of someone named 'Tecshare" (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=841162.0) who obviously seems legit too. I think i'll contact him later on.

Again, thank you!

{Curently quite inactive as I'm really busy in my private life. I will get back soon!}

MUFC

Activity: 500
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 06:37:39 PM

There was a thread on this exact same subject about a month ago with a lot of helpful replies. Not sure what forum it was in, though. Basically it is very risky buying amazon codes that have a ridiculous discount. If they're selling for 30-50% of their value they're probably stolen codes. If you do use a stolen code there is a chance that you could get into trouble legally but the mos that would happen would probably be it gets reversed.

Don007 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 07:22:45 PM

There was a thread on this exact same subject about a month ago with a lot of helpful replies. Not sure what forum it was in, though. Basically it is very risky buying amazon codes that have a ridiculous discount. If they're selling for 30-50% of their value they're probably stolen codes. If you do use a stolen code there is a chance that you could get into trouble legally but the mos that would happen would probably be it gets reversed.

Alright. I haven't noticed that topic yet. I think it's quite hard now the search function of this forum is disabled. Thank you for your reply!

I see some people asking 10% or 15% less than the value of these codes. I think these might be legit, but I'll keep on searching.

miaoux

Activity: 75

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 02:43:32 AM

Try purse.io for amazon stuff + discounts
Armen555

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 08:50:17 AM

Amazon now accept BTC??? Shocked Shocked Shocked
Don007 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 10:19:17 AM

Amazon now accept BTC??? Shocked Shocked Shocked

No. That would be great if they do, but they don't. What we're talking about is that you can buy Amazon gift cards / gift codes here on the forum from other people and pay it with BTC.

See the marketsection of this forum, and then the digital goods part (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=93.0).

enryk

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

GreenCoin

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 11:35:51 AM

Hi all,

On this forum I see daily transactions of people buying and selling Amazon.com gift cards and gift codes. What are the actual risks regarding buying these codes? Sure, I know the seller can keep the code after you sent you BTC, or he can send you a invalid code. However, I do also read replies over here that people are that these codes can be bought with hacked accounts and thus stolen money. Is that true?

I'm asking this because I want to buy something on Amazon.com (to use for my work) but I'm short of some dollars because of the sending fee. As I don't own an American bank account neither a Credit Card, and I can't use PayPal or Bitcoin to pay at Amazon.com, I think buying these gift cards / gift codes is the only way for me to credit my balance.

Why don't you use purse.io. Will allow you to purchase cards safely and at a discount.

Don007 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 12:02:22 PM

Hi all,

Why don't you use purse.io. Will allow you to purchase cards safely and at a discount.
Try purse.io for amazon stuff + discounts

I've never heard over Purse.io untill now. Are you familiar with that website? Do they offer legit gift codes?

I will have a look later on, as I'm a weekend gone for work now. Thanks for your advice!

bitcart

www.bitcart.io

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2015, 09:26:39 PM

Thanks for your reply! Did you created an account just to answer my question? That's kind of you Wink.

I've got one code, received (for almost free) from the great BiPolarBob which worked fine. So that one was legit / legal.  But now I'm still short of some dollars for my order, so I guess I will try to find anyone who is legit too. I just found out this topic of someone named 'Tecshare" (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=841162.0) who obviously seems legit too. I think i'll contact him later on.

Again, thank you!

I joined because I started my own website www.bitcart.io which allows you to buy on amazon with bitcoins and receive 20% off your order.

I've been trading for 2 years and I'm verified on localbitcoins.com and other trading platforms. Be sure to check out the website and let me know what you think Smiley

www.bitcart.io
haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2015, 06:49:35 AM

What are the actual risks regarding buying these codes? Sure, I know the seller can keep the code after you sent you BTC, or he can send you a invalid code. However, I do also read replies over here that people are that these codes can be bought with hacked accounts and thus stolen money. Is that true?

Amazon gift cards are one of the more notorious scams on here, especially from new accounts. Main issue is that they're purchased with stolen credit cards, and once the owner files a dispute, the gift card will get voided, even if you already redeemed it to your Amazon account. If you redeem it and quickly purchase something before it can be reversed, then you may be at risk of having police knocking on your door.

I was scammed for ~$800 in amazon gift cards in 2011 when they got reversed. There was a seller dumping mass amounts of these for a discount. I believe this was the first Amazon GC scam on this forum, so no one knew of it yet.

Just be careful with who you deal with. Just think about it, why would anyone take a hit by selling it at a large discount if it's a legit GC?

maxvolts

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 26, 2015, 08:12:55 AM

I have used pock.io many times to buy Amazon gift cards without any problems at all. They sell a wide range of other gift cards too.

Posted From bitcointalk.org Android App

bitcart

www.bitcart.io

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2015, 09:58:48 AM

Pock and other services allow you to buy Amazon cards. However bitcart.io goes further and gives you 20-25% off when you buy on Amazon. It's a no brainer.

www.bitcart.io
Don007 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2015, 10:05:11 PM

Great to see all your replies. Thank you!

Pock and other services allow you to buy Amazon cards. However bitcart.io goes further and gives you 20-25% off when you buy on Amazon. It's a no brainer.

Hey, that website matches with your username. Ofcourse it's a recommended website then Wink.

I'll check the alternatives this week.

ajaxmoor
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 26, 2015, 11:41:02 PM

The biggest risk is that they can be carded, and if that is so, then your purchase will be cancelled and not be valid.
Always ask for proof that card was obtained in a legit manner, when you buy these.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: