Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:05:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Modem problems  (Read 1956 times)
pirate1 (OP)

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 10:55:25 PM

Hi, I am having modem problems.  I just got my two new BFL singles and got them up and running.  I have configured both cgminer and Ufasoft for them and both run fine though it seems like Ufasoft is faster.  The problem is, with either one, I have to reset my modem about every fifteen minutes.  My computer and my wife's computer are our home network.  If neither of us do anything else the miner will run for half an hour to an hour before needing a reset.  If I don't start the miner everything runs fine.  When I hook the miner up I loose my conection abut every fifteen minutes.  As soon as I pull out the power cord and re-attach it or hit the reset button on the modem the miner will start working in a minute or two.  I have a new Cisco DPC 3008 and a Linksys WRT54G router.  When the connection drops every fifteen minutes or so all I have to do is reset or repower the modem and the miner starts working again.  I have had Comcast out to check my lines and they say they are OK.  They are coming back next Tuesday to update my wiring and I am hoping that will help but I don't really think that is the problem since they say I have a good connection now.  My download speed is about 24mbs and my upload speed is about 3.6 mbs, or were when I checked them yesterday.  I am running an e8500 with two XFX 6870s and two BItForce Singles.  I am getting around 2000mh/s with my setup with spikes up to 3000mh/s but generally staying around 2000-2100 mh/s.  We need our Internet so it is frustrating not being able to use it and the miner at the same time.  I can't seem to find much else about this subject so I am tending to think it is something in my setup that is the problem.  Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how to handle this?

As long as I wake up breathing it's all a bonus.  Sometimes not much of a bonus but still a bonus.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
aqrulesms

Activity: 373
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 01:40:41 AM

It might just be a faulty modem.  This has happened to me before and buying a new modem fixed it.

██ ██    ██ ██    ▀ ██ ██ ██ ██  ██
      ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄      ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄
      ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀      ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀
      ██    ██ ██ ██      ██    ██ ██ ██
   ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄      ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄    ▄▄ ▄▄
   ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀      ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀    ▀▀ ▀▀
      ██ ██ ██ ██ ██      ██ ██ ██ ██ ██    ██  
▄▄    ▄▄ ▄▄    ▄▄ ▄▄      ▄▄    ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄
▀▀    ▀▀ ▀▀    ▀▀ ▀▀      ▀▀    ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀
     ▀ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██
    ██  ▄  ▄▄  ▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄  ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄
        ▄▄ ▀▀ ▄▄ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▄▄ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀
        ▀▀  ▀ ▀▀ ██ ██ ██ ▀▀  ▀  ██ ██
         ██ ██ ▄▄ ▄▄    ▄▄ ██ ██ ▄ ▄▄
           ▄▄  ▀▀ ▀▀    ▀▀      ▄▄ ▀▀
           ▀▀    ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ▀▀
UCHAIN  ▄█▄   
▀█▀
▄ ▄
███
 ▀
█▄█
▀█▀
▄ ▄
███
 ▀
█▄█
▀█▀
▄█▄   
▀█▀
▄ ▄
███
 ▀
█▄█
▀█▀
▄ ▄
███
 ▀
█▄█
▀█▀
▄█▄   
▀█▀
▄ ▄
███
 ▀
█▄█
▀█▀
▄ ▄
███
 ▀
█▄█
▀█▀
.████████████████████████.
██████████████████████████
███▄     ███████     ▄████
█████     █████     ██████
█████ ▌    ███▌     ██████
█████ █     █▌ ▐    ██████
█████ ██      ▐█    ██████
█████ ███    ▐██    ██████
████▀ ▀███   ███    ██████
██▀     ▀██ ██▀      ▀████
██████████████▀     ▀█████
███ ▀████████▌        ▄███
███    ▀████▀        ▄████
███                 ▐█████
████                ▐█████
██████              ██████
███████           ▄███████
██████▀         ▄█████████
████▄▄      ▄▄████████████
.███████████████████████.
█████████████████████████
███████████████████▀▀▀███
█████████████▀▀▀ ▄    ███
████████▀▀     ▄█▀   ▐███
████▀▀       ▄█▀     ████
█▀         ▄██      ▐████
████▄▄▄  ▄██▀       █████
███████████        ▐█████
██████████         ██████
██████████ ▄██▄▄  ▐██████
█████████████████████████
.███████████████████████.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 03:25:00 AM

When I hook the miner up I loose my conection abut every fifteen minutes. 

Is it possible your ISP is treating it as malware and is disconnecting as a defense?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

superfastkyle

Activity: 437

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 05:22:49 AM

I have a switch that works fine but not with miners hooked up to it. So I think both answers are a possibility and in the order of likelihood as well. The solution to the first is replace the modem, the second try a pool that runs on a different port, or try each card running on a different pool
pirate1 (OP)

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 07:46:09 PM

Well, last night I went through a big run around with Cisco/Linksys.  I finally got Linksys to walk me through checking the modem.  They had me reconfigure the modem.  They said it was working fine.  They got me to the point that I had one computer working directly through the modem but the router would no longer work and had to be reconfigured also.  Since the router was out of warranty they wouldn't help me without pay.  I wasn't going to pay them to fix what they did so I had to look it up and do it myself.  Anyway, I got that done.  Now everything has been reconfigured and they assured me the modem was working fine.  I still have the same problem.  I don't use any other pools so I haven't tried any others or splitting the output between pools.  I used to use arsbitcoin until it shut down.  Then I went to bitclockers and they are the only two I have tried.  I may have to look into some others and see if splitting the output helps at all.  I think I can do that with either Ufasoft or cgminer and will have to look into the details of that.  I am starting to think that my best hope is when they change my wiring next Tuesday that it starts working right.  Maybe an upgrade to the next Comcast level is in order.  That would just be $10 a month for the 30mbs download and 6 mbs upload.  I am currently on the 20mbs download and 3 mbs upload level and getting about 24mbs download and 3.6 mbs upload.  At one time I downloaded Wireshark but never really learned how to use it.  Now might be a good time to check it out.  It monitors all the traffic on a network so it should be able to give me accurate figures on just how much I am putting out over the modem.  I will check into that and if Windows 7 has anything that will monitor network traffic.  If I am putting out more that 4 mbs it might explain what is happening though I haven't heard of others having the same problem so that does seem unlikely.  That gives me a few more things to try but none really sound too hopeful to me.

As long as I wake up breathing it's all a bonus.  Sometimes not much of a bonus but still a bonus.
pirate1 (OP)

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 10:58:51 PM

superfastkyle, I tried running the miners with just one BitForce Single.  They both run substantially longer, like half an hour to forty five minutes before loosing the connection but they still loose the connection.  If I get on my computer and open up a browser while they are running we loose connection in just a couple of minutes.  Still digging into this.

GernMiester

Activity: 285

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 03:24:30 AM

Test with PC directly connected to the modem.  It sounds like one of your routers if being flooded by connections and choking.
pirate1 (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 10:27:54 AM

It still goes out, even connecting directly to the modem.  It is looking like it is not my equipment but Comcast.  The first time they came to change the wires they told me it would be a $200 charge even though I was told no charge when they set the appointment.  The third tech to come out found that my old wires were causing a lot of noise and now I am getting them all replaced with cat 6 for free on Monday the 23rd and one of the tech superintendents is looking into my problem.  Hopefully, the new wiring may solve the problem.  It seems one of the nodes between me and the central office is kicking me off.  It could be from the noise or from the spike in connections when we use the browsers and the mining all at once.  I'll know more on Monday.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: