Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 11:21:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why should the Winkelvoss ETF increase the price?  (Read 986 times)
tupelo (OP)

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 07:05:18 PM

We all know that the Winkelvii already possess a very large quantity of BTC for their ETF. So the ETF will only have a positive effect on the price of bitcoins if the demand exceeds their stash.

So why is it the general notion that the Winkelvoss ETF is going to swiftly increase the price?
fallinglantern

Activity: 260
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 07:11:47 PM

It will increase adoption with:

1. retirement accounts
2. people who don't want the counterparty risk of using an exchange based out of slovakia/hong kong/japan.
3. people not technically-savvy enough to store bitcoin
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 08:11:05 PM

It will could increase adoption with:

1. retirement accounts
2. people who don't want the counterparty risk of using an exchange based out of slovakia/hong kong/japan.

However, this isn't so much adoption except the few who may elect to take delivery of their stake. Then it's back to #3. Most will just trade it as any other speculative exchange asset which isn't adoption. They don't have to know anything about it and don't have to use it. Can I send a payment from the ETF using a "withdrawal button"? Doubt it. Most people aren't going to put their 401k's into it either. Some may, but you aren't going to see the masses do it just because Bitcoin... People aren't going to gamble with their retirement. Plain and simple. The first time they see their 401k drop by 50% they will shit a brick and people will leave in droves.

I do agree that the twinkledicks will eventually buy some coins when the existing ETF funds are all bought up and more demand comes in but it could be days or it could be years before it's all bought up. No one knows. My guess is there will be a large spike of speculative demand upon announcement which will just be a rush until the hype dies off. It won't change anything about the trend and most people buying into the ETF aren't going to buy it unless we have seen a bottom. So it won't magically cause a reversal by itself. If the bear market happens to end around the same time as it goes live, then it's because the Bear market was due to end and it's all a coincidence.

Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2015, 08:14:32 PM

We all know that the Winkelvii already possess a very large quantity of BTC for their ETF.
Right. The Winkelvoss ETF is a dump. They own a lot of Bitcoins and are looking for an exit. They'd crash the existing exchanges if they tried to exit that way. This is another way to do a big dump.
inca
Legendary

Activity: 1176

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 08:17:14 PM

1. retirement accounts

However, this isn't so much adoption except the few who may elect to take delivery of their stake. Then it's back to #3. Most will just trade it as any other speculative exchange asset which isn't adoption. They don't have to know anything about it and don't have to use it. Can I send a payment from the ETF using a "withdrawal button"? Doubt it. Most people aren't going to put their 401k's into it either. Some may, but you aren't going to see the masses do it just because Bitcoin... People aren't going to gamble with their retirement. Plain and simple. The first time they see their 401k drop by 50% they will shit a brick and people will leave in droves.

I do agree that the twinkledicks will eventually buy some coins when the existing ETF funds are all bought up and more demand comes in but it could be days or it could be years before it's all bought up. No one knows. My guess is there will be a large spike of speculative demand upon announcement which will just be a rush until the hype dies off. It won't change anything about the trend and most people buying into the ETF aren't going to buy it unless we have seen a bottom. So it won't magically cause a reversal by itself. If the bear market happens to end around the same time as it goes live, then it's because the Bear market was due to end and it's all a coincidence.

You miss the point. People hold gold in an etf. Not because they like the idea of holding a shiny metal as a paper holding, but because of the properties the commodity gold should display in theory. They will hold bitcoin as a speculative commodity for the same reasons. And the bitcoin market is tiny. A drop in the ocean compared to the trillions in capital which is currently excluded from investing. The ECB is about to print 1 trillion euros. Ho ho.

kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 08:20:44 PM

I'll say it again.... The ETF is a lie.

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
BTCtrader71

Activity: 784
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 09:01:26 PM

The Winkelvoss ETF is a dump. They own a lot of Bitcoins and are looking for an exit. They'd crash the existing exchanges if they tried to exit that way. This is another way to do a big dump.
If all they wanted to do was to exit without crashing the market, they would sell incrementally over a long period of time, like 2 years. That would be faster and a helluva lot easier than building an ETF.

I doubt the Winklevii are motivated predominantly by money. They have enough to party hard 7 days a week for the next 100 years. I suspect that their primary motivation is to prove to the world that they are more than a pair of privileged dumb jocks whose only accomplishment in life was a lawsuit that gave them an undeserved $65M in crumbs from Mark Zuckerberg's humongous table. Their only chance at doing this is 1) for bitcoin to live up to its promise in a BIG way and 2) for the Winklevii to play a nontrivial role in its success. This has to be a long game for them.

I do agree that the twinkledicks will eventually buy some coins when the existing ETF funds are all bought up and more demand comes in
I would speculate that the twins will keep accounts at all the major exchanges and arbitrage so that their stash of coins remains more or less constant, and they will dip into their stash (or add to it) when necessary so that large ETF purchases (or ETF cash outs) do not move the market.

BTC: 14oTcy1DNEXbcYjzPBpRWV11ZafWxNP8EU
stonerider

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 09:02:26 PM

"Say it ain't so, Joe!"
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372

--------------->¿?

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 09:04:32 PM

Show us your evidences.

HarmonLi

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Honest 80s business!

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 09:07:04 PM

If people put a lot of money into BTC, they will need to buy more BTC. Sure, they could first go ahead and sell their own stash, but don't you think they're in it for at least a longer period of time? I think they're in for the long haul!

damiano
Legendary

Activity: 1246

103 days, 21 hours and 10 minutes.

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 10:49:53 PM

Show us your evidences.

He's just talking out of his ass
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 12:55:03 AM

They won't just sell their own assets. They'll most likely buy new coins form somewhere. Anyways, an increasing demand will always push the price up, that's just how markets work. I can't wait until the fund goes live!

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 01:24:02 AM

1. retirement accounts

You miss the point. People hold gold in an etf. Not because they like the idea of holding a shiny metal as a paper holding, but because of the properties the commodity gold should display in theory. They will hold bitcoin as a speculative commodity for the same reasons. And the bitcoin market is tiny. A drop in the ocean compared to the trillions in capital which is currently excluded from investing. The ECB is about to print 1 trillion euros. Ho ho.

Exactly. People will be able to diversify a bit of their portfolios into bitcoins, just as they do gold. It doesn't even have to be a large percentage of their investments.
Morecoin Freeman

Activity: 854
Merit: 503

Legendary trader

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 01:42:04 AM

They won't just sell their own assets. They'll most likely buy new coins form somewhere. Anyways, an increasing demand will always push the price up, that's just how markets work. I can't wait until the fund goes live!
I completely agree.
They are not stupid investors so I don't believe they will sell at a loss.

Ask the stranger he knows who you really are.
okthen

Activity: 490

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 01:54:10 AM

I think the price will go up more for psychological impact the etf might have than due to its direct influence. It will make the big players more aware and respectful of bitcoin.
twiifm

Activity: 784

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 02:27:48 AM

Buy the rumor, sell the news
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: