Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 02:12:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Underwhat circumstances would you sell off all your BTC?  (Read 2743 times)
finkleshnorts (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 03:16:28 AM
Last edit: July 15, 2012, 03:29:50 AM by honest bob

I have been asking myself this.

I really don't plan to sell mine unless a mad frenzy occurs again, and only if I were to be certain the market would relax again. I could also envision myself selling my coins were I to fall into a tough financial situation. Other than that, my BTC are here to stay. Even taking into account the price volatility, I still consider bitcoin to be a better and more convenient "store of value" than just about anything else.

What about you? We are all in in this for different reasons. What would cause you to sell your coins?

I don't consider myself a crackpot. Austrian economics bother me; blow-hard libertarianism bothers me even more. I realize that the bitcoin "community" is ridiculed from time to time for being so viciously loyal to its namesake currency and its dream of global economic upheaval. Generally, I am cautious to associate myself with anything that emits a crackpot-esque vibe. Still, even after the ridiculous amount time I have spent on this forum, I have yet to discover any reason why bitcoin could necessarily not be the currency of our grandchildren. So thus far, I'm sold. And I'm here for the long haul.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 03:28:05 AM

When trading against volatility, I sometimes sell everything a few times a day.

Several times, I've been without any coins waiting for the price to come back down.  And waiting.   and waiting ...     before eventually giving in and buying back at a price higher than where I sold at.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 03:30:30 AM

Several times, I've been without any coins waiting for the price to come back down.  And waiting.   and waiting ...     before eventually giving in and buying back at a price higher than where I sold at.

finkleshnorts (OP)

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 03:31:04 AM

Several times, I've been without any coins waiting for the price to come back down.  And waiting.   and waiting ...     before eventually giving in and buying back at a price higher than where I sold at.

Day trading is so tempting to me. But I just can't bring myself to do it.
finkleshnorts (OP)

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 03:33:45 AM
Last edit: July 15, 2012, 03:51:14 AM by honest bob

John the dong, beautiful sig. I wish I were assigned a personalized slogan.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 03:36:39 AM

John the dong, beautiful sig. I wish I was assigned a personalized slogan.
Tell Coinabul that.  Tongue

Day trading is so tempting to me. But I just can't bring myself to do it.
After the fees, I sometimes end up far worse then I started.  Cry
mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 03:43:21 AM

I'd sell of all my bitcoins in the event that the price spikes to something crazy in one day like the $30 spike, only to buy them back later.  Anytime I try to do any day trading I lose out though.

I don't consider myself a crackpot. Austrian economics bother me; blow-hard libertarianism bothers me even more. I realize that the bitcoin "community" is ridiculed from time to time for being so viciously loyal to its namesake currency and its dream of global economic upheaval. Generally, I am cautious to associate myself with anything that emits a crackpot-esque vibe. Still, even after the ridiculous amount time I have spent on this forum, I have yet to discover any reason why bitcoin could necessarily not be the currency of our grandchildren. So thus far, I'm sold. And I'm here for the long haul.

I agree with the "crackpot-esque" bit.  I don't buy into any of the hype that BTC will replace USD, or that USD will collapse anytime soon. I DO believe that bitcoin fills a gap in the Internet and has a ton of potential.  I don't see any reason why BTC cannot exist side-by-side with USD for the next 100 years and I'm very excited about the possibilities for BTC.

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
finkleshnorts (OP)

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 03:46:42 AM

I'd sell of all my bitcoins in the event that the price spikes to something crazy in one day like the $30 spike, only to buy them back later.  Anytime I try to do any day trading I lose out though.

I agree with the "crackpot-esque" bit.  I don't buy into any of the hype that BTC will replace USD, or that USD will collapse anytime soon. I DO believe that bitcoin fills a gap in the Internet and has a ton of potential.  I don't see any reason why BTC cannot exist side-by-side with USD for the next 100 years and I'm very excited about the possibilities for BTC.

I totally agree. At this point, bitcoin seems to be the solution for great micropayment conundrum. However, this may change in the future, as miners begin to depend more and more on transaction fees.
nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 03:48:50 AM

I would never sell everything, but I might sell half if:
-Pirate defaults
-A miner gets 50% of the total hashrate
-Extremely bad major news coverage (CNN claims "Bitcoin is a Ponzi Scheme")
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 04:00:17 AM

If a beautiful woman asked me to.
If I was threatened at gunpoint.
If such an action would save the world from obliteration.
Nope, can't think of a good reason.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 04:08:03 AM

I suck at trading. Every time I trade I loose so no more trading for me. I just buy at market price what ever the price is. The value of BTC is going to go up up up over the long hall so I just need to suck it in, cause I just suck!

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372

--------------->¿?

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 04:20:13 AM

I'm stacking BTC for my retirement  Grin

RandomQ

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 04:23:53 AM

Non Public information that would have an effect on BTC Price.
SR Shutdown,SHA-256 Weakness,etc
finkleshnorts (OP)

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 04:25:14 AM

Non Public information that would have an effect on BTC Price.
SR Shutdown,SHA-256 Weakness,etc

Ah, great point. I'd have to agree.
MadSweeney

Activity: 160
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 04:34:00 AM

I sold all my btc just last month. I've gotten hold of a few bitcoins since then, but I will probably sell all of them again if someone's willing to buy them all at a price greater than I bought them.

Before, I made money by holding on to the coins. Now I'm trying to see what happens if I keep moving them.

majamalu
Legendary

Activity: 1652

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2012, 05:11:36 AM

Austrian economics bother me

Then reality is what bothers you. I bet you will end up selling all your bitcoins for the wrong reasons.  Wink

http://elbitcoin.org - Bitcoin en español
http://mercadobitcoin.com - MercadoBitcoin
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2012, 05:21:05 AM

I would never sell everything, but I might sell half if:
-Pirate defaults
-A miner gets 50% of the total hashrate
-Extremely bad major news coverage (CNN claims "Bitcoin is a Ponzi Scheme")

Really? Sell on pirate default? It seems to me that a pirate default reveals there to be fewer coins that previously though and should push the price up. Maybe moreso if he first struggles to buy the coins he owes.

I'd be pretty damned concerned if BFL or similar said "actually, we're going to keep these and mine" and then the difficulty trippled. Or if double spends past 1 confirm became common. I'd probably have to sell a good chunk.

CNN claims "Bitcoin is a Ponzi Scheme" doesn't scare me at all. Other media will love to ridicule them and demonstrate the differences. Plus so few people who are holding coin will believe. And even if only a small percent of non-holders figure it out and become holders that will be a huge number compared to current holders. If I had free cash I might buy on a story like that. Not to mention that a story like that doesn't come out of the blue and probably indicates increase top-level concern about bitcoin proliferation.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2012, 05:23:25 AM

I'd sell of all my bitcoins in the event that the price spikes to something crazy in one day like the $30 spike, only to buy them back later.

This.
If the price multipled many times over in a short period of time I would probably sell all of my coins.

The first time that happened I didn't sell (Yay me!)

The second time that happened I didn't sell (Yay me!)

The third time that happened I didn't sell (Boo!)

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12884

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 06:05:46 AM

Never. Even if I knew the entire system was about to fail, I'd still keep 1 BTC.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 07:13:06 AM

Never. Even if I knew the entire system was about to fail, I'd still keep 1 BTC.

Let me guess because it keeps you warm at night?

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: