Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 09:07:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bill Gates 3 problems with BTC  (Read 6689 times)
cafucafucafu (OP)

Activity: 812
Merit: 509

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 02:14:04 AM

Poor people cannot currently rely on bitcoin

“The effort to make sure your bitcoin provider isn’t going to lose your money and your understanding of the volatility of bitcoin — I’d hardly say that it’s ready for, you know, poor people to have it go up and down by a factor of two and, you know — ‘Oops, I was at Mt. Gox. Now that’s not good. Now I’m at Bit-whatever.’”

Lack of transaction reversals

“So that basic technology shows that digital can do these things very cheaply, and the fees that have been building up over time won’t stand up even for small transactions. Now making sure that the thing is fraud-resistant and that money can be refunded – there’s somebody that you call up if you think you transferred to the wrong account or your account balance is not what you’d expect.”

Potential Anonymity

“Also governments, for most transactions, will want attribution, that is, the idea of a system where you can’t see — is that drug money, is it terrorist money? Should that be taxed? You’re going to have some tension between the attributed systems like credit card [or] debit card systems where there’s actually a record of who’s engaging and the purely anonymous ones. The one where I see it getting to critical mass, along with the government regulatory support we need is where it’s attributed; where we can see who actually did this transaction.”

http://insidebitcoins.com/news/bill-gates-3-criticisms-of-bitcoin

The last one isn't a problem for me but the first two are. The bigger problem is having no incentive to adopt BTC for ordinary people.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jacktheking
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1001

Personal Text Space Not For Sale

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 02:19:31 AM

For the first one. Gotta agree, normal people (non-technology) wont be investing in Bitcoin. Most of them are afraid for the rapid changes in the exchange rate. And.. some of them can't understand how Bitcoin work. Unless Bitcoin is value stable, else, people wont be investing in it.

So sad! This profile does not appear as the #1 result (on anonymous) Google searches anymore.

Time to be active on the crypto forums again? Proud to be one of the few Legendary members of the Sparkie Red Dot!

Gonna put this on my resume if I ever join a cryptocurrency/blockchain industry!
colinistheman

Activity: 872
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 02:28:08 AM
Last edit: January 24, 2015, 02:40:43 AM by colinistheman

When Bill Gates says these things it shows he doesn't have a very deep understanding of Bitcoin as a protocol. But to give him some credit, he has come a long ways in the past month or two, so I just tell myself that he is still in the learning curve. I think he will get it more and more as time goes on, including the answers to his concerns. At least I sure hope so.

On the other hand, I feel like for him to be such a huge visionary and pioneer, his concerns are pretty short-sighted of him. Solutions to these issues can and will be programmed and developed. It's only a matter of time.

It appears that he only currently thinks with Bitcoin as being a high level layer when he names off these concerns, when in fact Bitcoin is a protocol which is programmable.

As one example, think of all the possible choices of financial intermediaries that will be developed to enable customer safety for transactions reversals. This CAN be implemented and will be. Things like PayPal for Bitcoin. It doesn't mean that will be required, but that's the beauty of Bitcoin, the protocol: You have the power to do whatever you want with it. Why doesn't he see this? I think more education needed on his part.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 02:30:47 AM

For the first one. Gotta agree, normal people (non-technology) wont be investing in Bitcoin. Most of them are afraid for the rapid changes in the exchange rate. And.. some of them can't understand how Bitcoin work. Unless Bitcoin is value stable, else, people wont be investing in it.

Chicken and egg problem my friend,

To have stable exchange the market cap of bitcoin must be ALOT higher with many more tx (fiat to BTC and vice versa).

It will get there slowly i'm sure. Ppl who look at bitcoin long term can happily hold btc without worrying about short term fluctuation.

seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 02:32:34 AM

I feel like when Bill Gates says these things it shows he doesn't have a very deep understanding of Bitcoin as a protocol. But to give him some credit, he has come a long ways in the past month or two, so I just tell myself that he is still in the learning curve. I think he will get it more and more, including the answers to his concerns.

On the other hand, I feel like for him to be the richest man on Earth and such a huge visionary and pioneer, his complaints are incredibly short-sighted for him not to see the full potential.

He seems to think of Bitcoin as only a high level layer when he names these issues, when in fact it's a protocol which is programmable. All three of those complaints can be resolved by software being implemented to address these points.

His complaints are what the uninformed complain about. Yes they are legitimate issues presently, but they can easily be overcome. He seems to think they are complete stops when they are not at all.

As one example, think of all the possible choices of financial intermediaries that will be developed to enable customer safety for transactions reversals. This CAN be implemented and will be. It doesn't have to be also. That's the beauty of Bitcoin. You have the power to do whatever you want with it. Why can't he see this?

+ Exactly, he does not understand bitcoin hence the 2nd and 3rd points are totally moot.

You cant have a trustless system with reversals.... lol thats like he wants to sell windows with opensource code.
Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 02:33:05 AM

1 - he meant people can't rely on Bitcoin price. Don't trust price and the protocol are two different things. And the same thing can be applied to most investment, if not all. Poor people can't invest much, if at all, by definition.

2 - it is an advantage, but can be solved(?) if you use escrow or a 3rd part processor.

3 - there are clear advantages of not giving away info for some people(they won't steal your identity or clone your cards, for example)
Rishblitz

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

I'm nothing without GOD

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 02:35:56 AM

I can see why the 1 and 2 are bad but the 3 is ludicrous.

colinistheman

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 02:36:40 AM

+ Exactly, he does not understand bitcoin hence the 2nd and 3rd points are totally moot.

You cant have a trustless system with reversals.... lol thats like he wants to sell windows with opensource code.

2 - it is an advantage, but can be solved(?) if you use escrow or a 3rd part processor.

Exactly. You could optionally select to use some kind of 3rd party escrow type entity in a bitcoin transaction if you wanted to. It just isn't mandatory. It's one of those higher level layers that CAN be programmed on top of the Bitcoin network. So even that is a POSSIBILITY.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
DoubleTrouble

Activity: 223

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 02:48:07 AM

Exactly. You could optionally select to use some kind of 3rd party escrow type entity in a bitcoin transaction if you wanted to. It just isn't mandatory. It's one of those higher level layers that CAN be programmed on top of the Bitcoin network. So even that is a POSSIBILITY.

Exactly, and that way there is a much lower chance of problems such as paypal reversals. Someone can choose to have escrow or not which makes it their responsibility.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 02:54:40 AM

this. 

a good interpretation of 'bitcoin can't do it alone'

chipmadness

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 02:57:16 AM

Bill gates wants to say there is three problems with Bitcoin? He has no room to talk at all.

I can name 10 problems with Microsoft, right off the bat.....

Seriously Bill Gates, go back to the 20th century; take your new CEO with you also.

CryptoThrone - http://cryptothrone.com - The Highest Rank in Crypto News! Visit us for the latest Bitcoin news, conference news, the newest and best alt-coins getting released, mining hardware news, mining theories, and everything else related to crypto-currency! Looking for a web developer? Let me design you a responsive, elegant, and modern site today!
colinistheman

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 02:57:45 AM

Exactly, and that way there is a much lower chance of problems such as paypal reversals. Someone can choose to have escrow or not which makes it their responsibility.

I hope Bill Gates sees this sooner rather than later. Because he can make big decisions that can move industries. If he gets it then he can assist it.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2015, 03:06:23 AM

If poor people cannot rely on bitcoin similarly they can't rely on fiat as well. At least with bitcoin you have chance that one day the price is going to go up although you still have equal chance it will drop as well. So it's not exclusively bitcoin's problem

Second do we need reversals? How many times sellers get scammed and get forced out of legit business because of preferences towards customers. Isn't that counter productive? Can't we solve that with escrow if amount is really big...

jacktheking
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1001

Personal Text Space Not For Sale

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 03:09:23 AM

Chicken and egg problem my friend,

To have stable exchange the market cap of bitcoin must be ALOT higher with many more tx (fiat to BTC and vice versa).

It will get there slowly i'm sure. Ppl who look at bitcoin long term can happily hold btc without worrying about short term fluctuation.

Agree. Bitcoin may be unstable now but.. when "Bitcoin took over the world", it might become a very stable currency. Most people buy Bitcoin for investment, however, it not gonna be the case in the future. They buy Bitcoin because it is a currency.

So sad! This profile does not appear as the #1 result (on anonymous) Google searches anymore.

Time to be active on the crypto forums again? Proud to be one of the few Legendary members of the Sparkie Red Dot!

Gonna put this on my resume if I ever join a cryptocurrency/blockchain industry!
cafucafucafu (OP)

Activity: 812
Merit: 509

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 03:18:42 AM

If poor people cannot rely on bitcoin similarly they can't rely on fiat as well.

Why do so many bitcoiners says ridiculous things? I am bullish in BTC but really I think we need to stop lying to ourselves.

oyasumi

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 03:22:33 AM

Bill Gates know nothing about Bitcoin. Roll Eyes
He doesn't know the real problems with BTC,but take the Benefits as problems,that's stupid.
He also doesn't know the real cost of Bitcoin system. Grin
Rishblitz

Activity: 308

I'm nothing without GOD

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 03:22:58 AM

Bill gates wants to say there is three problems with Bitcoin? He has no room to talk at all.

I can name 10 problems with Microsoft, right off the bat.....

Seriously Bill Gates, go back to the 20th century; take your new CEO with you also.

Its funny when rich people get huge egos huh?

el kaka22
Legendary

Activity: 3514
Merit: 1162

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 03:30:03 AM

im just watching this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6KRp91YAw8&sns=fb

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 03:47:17 AM

Poor people cannot currently rely on bitcoin

“The effort to make sure your bitcoin provider isn’t going to lose your money and your understanding of the volatility of bitcoin — I’d hardly say that it’s ready for, you know, poor people to have it go up and down by a factor of two and, you know — ‘Oops, I was at Mt. Gox. Now that’s not good. Now I’m at Bit-whatever.’”
A true visionary. "640K ought to be enough for anybody." Does he really think Bitcoin exchanges are always going to be run by children with no interest in security? His partners include VISA and MasterCard. His idea of poor people are those that make only a few million a year. Exchanges need to take responsibility for market manipulation and learn to cool down panics.

Lack of transaction reversals

“So that basic technology shows that digital can do these things very cheaply, and the fees that have been building up over time won’t stand up even for small transactions. Now making sure that the thing is fraud-resistant and that money can be refunded – there’s somebody that you call up if you think you transferred to the wrong account or your account balance is not what you’d expect.”
How often do you reverse transactions? More people go to court to get their money back than reverse charges. Usually just asking for it is enough. You can't (realistically) accidentally send bitcoins to a random address. There is parity checking.

Potential Anonymity

“Also governments, for most transactions, will want attribution, that is, the idea of a system where you can’t see — is that drug money, is it terrorist money? Should that be taxed? You’re going to have some tension between the attributed systems like credit card [or] debit card systems where there’s actually a record of who’s engaging and the purely anonymous ones. The one where I see it getting to critical mass, along with the government regulatory support we need is where it’s attributed; where we can see who actually did this transaction.”

http://insidebitcoins.com/news/bill-gates-3-criticisms-of-bitcoin

The last one isn't a problem for me but the first two are. The bigger problem is having no incentive to adopt BTC for ordinary people.
Right Bill, you are concerned about poor people sponsoring terrorists. This is your true agenda. You don't care about poor people at all.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
mercistheman

Activity: 378

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 04:24:24 AM

He probably owns 100K btc for kicks
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: