Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 05:50:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Real numbers behind buy/sell walls  (Read 708 times)
Hyena (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1013

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2015, 12:08:41 PM

Let's take a look at the buy/sell walls on Bitstamp:

We can see the number of bitcoins we could sell and where it would get the price. We can also see the number of dollars we could spend on buying up all the bitcoins for sale and where it would get the price. However, what we don't see directly from these walls are the real dollars and bitcoins sitting on the exchange. Is there any web service out there that would calculate these numbers for me? From the first glance it seems to me that there is "more money" wishing to buy into bitcoin right now than there is on the opposite side. Can we deduce any valuable trading information from that?

★★★ CryptoGraffiti.info ★★★ Hidden Messages Found from the Block Chain (Thread)
inca
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 12:17:57 PM

We can see the number of bitcoins we could sell and where it would get the price. We can also see the number of dollars we could spend on buying up all the bitcoins for sale and where it would get the price. However, what we don't see directly from these walls are the real dollars and bitcoins sitting on the exchange. Is there any web service out there that would calculate these numbers for me? From the first glance it seems to me that there is "more money" wishing to buy into bitcoin right now than there is on the opposite side. Can we deduce any valuable trading information from that?

The orderbook that is visible, is visible. The rest is guess work. We can see from the orderbooks it is going to take some monumental selling to breach 200 now.

Last night for fun I had a look on bitcoin wisdom. If you click on the orderbook you can enter fictional amounts of BTC or USD and see how much is required to buy the price up to a certain point on the orderbook.

Under 4 million dollars doubled the price on finex (460$).

We still have >18000 shorts.

I think we move up a way for bit over the coming weeks.
HarmonLi

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Honest 80s business!

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 12:40:31 AM

I think it's very difficult to draw conclusions from the sparse numbers we have. Sure, the orderbook on Stamp looks kinda nice right now... But we don't know how many coins and how much FIAT is sitting on the sidelines. Finex is a bit easier to gauge, but those exchanges are just small parts of the puzzle. And then there are always OTC transactions...

minerpumpkin

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 12:49:38 AM

You'd really need access to a lot more numbers, across all the exchanges, especially those with high volume like the Chinese ones. I also think it's very difficult to draw any meaningful conclusions from what we can see.

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 05:38:01 AM

Maybe something like it is divulged when they make their financial balance.

Of course the information might not be accurate and of course might be out of date 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: