Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 04:21:43 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: We can't keep ignoring the problems.  (Read 736 times)
cafucafucafu (OP)

Activity: 812
Merit: 509

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 04:23:40 PM

By we I don't mean the developers and the ones creating the apps. I mean some of the folks on here.

The are some people on this forum who never take any criticism of bitcoin seriously. They take all the criticism as some kind of trollish bearish FUD and overreact.

Some of us actually post those concerns because we want to see bitcoin grow and become mainstream. We are looking for solutions and some of the folks here bring up the most outlandish pipe dream 'solutions'. These are the sort of people who can't seem to imagine what it is like to be an ordinary layperson who doesn't have the same knowledge they do. I E.g. I remember someone saying that arbitrage is an incentive to get into bitcoin. How is arbitrage supposed to be an incentive for the average Joe? This is just one example that I have seen and there are so many others.

Thank God that the leaders and app devs are not like some of you people. They recognise some of the difficulties and are working on them (and I think they will succeed). But you need to stop with the pipe dreaming. Bitcoin may become huge but it wont be helped by people with playground attitudes to potential difficulties.

BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 04:35:11 PM

You control the reaction you get.  Usually.

The only people labeled as trolls (usually) are the ones who point out weaknesses with a sh*tty attitude, or some sarcastic, condescending comment attached.

The people who point out weaknesses with genuine concern, and desire to get the conversation going, usually don't get dismissed.

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
cafucafucafu (OP)

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 04:43:24 PM

You control the reaction you get.  Usually.

The only people labeled as trolls (usually) are the ones who point out weaknesses with a sh*tty attitude, or some sarcastic, condescending comment attached.

The people who point out weaknesses with genuine concern, and desire to get the conversation going, usually don't get dismissed.

-B-

I agree with the part about trolls. I have never been called a troll or dismissed but I have seen many who pretend that there are no problems at all. It's not just here but also on other bitcoin websites. Genuine problems need realistic solutions and these people need to start posting those solutions instead of dismissing every problem - even if they do it politely.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 04:56:16 PM

I would say that the value of Bitcointalk,
aside from entertainment, is education.
You can learn new things and teach others
what you know.  

I would NOT say our purpose is to fix
problems.

The people that want to build and create
and truly solve problems are simply doing so,
they aren't armchair quarterbacking,  and
and they don't need anyone's approval...that's the great
thing about an open system like Bitcoin.

The serious discussions happen in the dev mailing lists, IRC, or
at least the tech/dev section of the forum.

There are serious companies and individuals who
are working on things all the time, driven
by both passion and profits.

therealwatcher

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 05:07:21 PM

The general "Bitcoin Discussion" is pretty much for trolling. There are subsections or r/Bitcoin for stuff that has more seriousness to it.

The "Bitcoin Discussion" and r/Buttcoin are more for lazy Entertainment.
cafucafucafu (OP)

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 05:12:00 PM

I would say that the value of Bitcointalk,
aside from entertainment, is education.
You can learn new things and teach others
what you know.  

I would NOT say our purpose is to fix
problems.

The people that want to build and create
and truly solve problems are simply doing so,
they aren't armchair quarterbacking,  and
and they don't need anyone's approval...that's the great
thing about an open system like Bitcoin.

The serious discussions happen in the dev mailing lists, IRC, or
at least the tech/dev section of the forum.

There are serious companies and individuals who
are working on things all the time, driven
by both passion and profits.

I totally appreciate the work of the developers and what happens on these forums is not going to have such a large impact on bitcoin. It is these devs and entrepreneurs who will make BTC big. These are very intelligent people. I also think that the forum has many helpful and smart people. Much smarter than I am.

However it isn't very helpful when a significant number of forum members can't think in realistic terms. It could potentially give a bad impression of BTC to anyone visiting the forum.

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2015, 12:13:02 AM

The problem is that a huge percentage of the people who criticise ( there are plenty of articles that show the level of criticism we rage against ) Bitcoin only think they know about Bitcoin and how it works and it is not only embarassing to see them talk about it they are completely intent on spreading that bullshit to other people who don't know better as well.

There are legitimate concerns out there, for instance I think that the 51% attack scenario is a very real possibility which is why when cex.io announced they had reached that amount of computing power I suggested we should actually attack the network on purpose and see what happens to test it.

I'm afraid a large number of the criticisms of Bitcoin are either created from neo-keynesian doctrine ( Bitcoin is not backed by a central bank etc. and is unregulated ) and don't really have any relevancy to how currencies work or are just straight up fabricated bullshit.
Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2015, 12:36:33 AM

It's ironic that the OP's post about being more constructive to the community is really just focused on insulting some people's opinions.

All ideas should be welcome, whether they're simple or complex, ridiculous or logical, no need to insult people for their contributions.

General_A

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 12:52:56 AM

By we I don't mean the developers and the ones creating the apps. I mean some of the folks on here.

The are some people on this forum who never take any criticism of bitcoin seriously. They take all the criticism as some kind of trollish bearish FUD and overreact.

Some of us actually post those concerns because we want to see bitcoin grow and become mainstream. We are looking for solutions and some of the folks here bring up the most outlandish pipe dream 'solutions'. These are the sort of people who can't seem to imagine what it is like to be an ordinary layperson who doesn't have the same knowledge they do. I E.g. I remember someone saying that arbitrage is an incentive to get into bitcoin. How is arbitrage supposed to be an incentive for the average Joe? This is just one example that I have seen and there are so many others.

Thank God that the leaders and app devs are not like some of you people. They recognise some of the difficulties and are working on them (and I think they will succeed). But you need to stop with the pipe dreaming. Bitcoin may become huge but it wont be helped by people with playground attitudes to potential difficulties.
I think this board is great for gaining knowledgeable information from other bitcoin users. I really enjoy using it to ask questions, poke around and see what’s happening.

That being said,  sometimes I feel there are users who sometimes dismiss members who they feel are asking irrelevant questions, or simply just "don't get it". Its fully understandable that sometimes other peoples opinions or concerns don't ring true with each and all - but we still should all try and respect others views.

Sometimes on this board I do feel that others have a tendency to dismiss others opinions too easy.

I feel that if we all genuinely believe their is a chance that Bitcoin's technology could revolutionise the future, then we should also believe in Bitcoins ability to revolutionise societal interaction in the future.

Personally I would much rather see a society that questions authority, shakes the status-quo - than one that bows down to a set of principles, laid down before them. Of course for the status-quo to be changed then mutual agreement between a majority would have to be reached, but for us to be as free as possibly can be, I also strongly believe that each and every view should be treated with the same merit - regardless of any prejudice one may have with such a view.

Subsequently although I love this board, I sometimes disagree with the handling of outsiders and so-say marginal opinions. If we want the community to grow we need to win people over, not scare them away.

gkv9
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

!!! RiSe aBovE ThE StoRm !!!

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 12:54:55 AM

It's ironic that the OP's post about being more constructive to the community is really just focused on insulting some people's opinions.

All ideas should be welcome, whether they're simple or complex, ridiculous or logical, no need to insult people for their contributions.

I don't think the OP insulted anyone, but clarified that everyone, including me, should change our thinking about BTC and should not even get involved in a conversation that we don't know about... That will save a lot of time for everyone to get to read what they are here for... Smiley

minerpumpkin

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 01:01:47 AM

You gotta find the sweet spot, actually. Sure, it's in no way given that Bitcoin will become the only currency and worth 100 times what it's worth today, we definitely have to take a look at all the problems at hand. But also keep in mind that you shouldn't get anxious too fast. People are shunning Bitcoin just because they're too afraid of putting some money in it. Some are also eager to spread FUD in order to get the price to go down. In those cases you have to ignore those voices and tell yourself that everything will be fine - never act on sudden emotions or fear!

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2015, 01:38:18 AM

Highlighting and sharing views on some weaknesses is meant for us as an approach to find possible solution and what is the best action that the community should do to address it. Not as a coder but a layman's normal person. While many view that as an attempt to create fud, that definitely was not the intention. We need to be more open. The coin can only move forward if the community shares some basic opinions and agree on solutions.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: