Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 09:51:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Read a lot about bitcoin today, what I learned  (Read 652 times)
capsqrl (OP)

Activity: 444
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 08:11:32 PM

[Warning; there is nothing to learn from reading this, it's just ramble.]

I've been using bitcoin for a good while already, but I haven't really put in the effort to get a good understanding of everything until today. I spent hours reading the Satoshi paper and the wiki. Cool story, right? Here's some stuff I got out of it:

The whole mining process, and how it self-regulates and requires little network coordination. Pretty cool. How difficulty is computed, and how it relates to target.

What's inside a block, and the structure of a block header, and how the chain is linked together. How that provides a "distributed timestamp server". And how impossibly difficult it would be to modify something in an old block. Very neatly designed, and now I understand how "lite" clients work and how they only need 80 bytes per block instead of the whole thing. Also the potential for pruning, and I noticed a cool BIP about stratization that makes me feel more comfortable about future scaling.

How transactions work, and what's inside them. Inputs and outputs. I finally understand how a coin can be split to pieces and different pieces can be combined into bigger values, all without fragmentation. And the transaction fee is just what's left after the all the inputs are subtracted from all the outputs, very elegant.

Script! How cool, so many possibilities. And so many opcodes that are disabled, probably best for now.

Generally how the peer-to-peer network works, what kind of messages are exchanged, and how they are propagated etc.

Norsk Bitcoin-bruker? Kom til /r/BitcoinNO på reddit!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 05:50:03 AM

It's pretty remarkable design
twitterchase

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 09:28:36 AM

Genius design if you asked me. If only the masses knew about it instead of following the institutions like sheep. Oh well, maybe the time will come one day.
Eiii

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 11:10:29 AM

Genius design if you asked me. If only the masses knew about it instead of following the institutions like sheep. Oh well, maybe the time will come one day.

You shouldn't criticize the 'masses' for not using bitcoin when the vast majority of them don't even know about it! Hell, there's probably a good chunk of people who are well-informed about bitcoin but don't use it just because there aren't really any bitcoin services that appeal to your average consumer, not to mention the difficulty of obtaining any in the first place.

As bitcoin keeps growing more and more useful services will pop up, and more and more people will learn about it and maybe start using it. No question bitcoin's well designed, but we'll see if it can stand the test of time.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: