Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:27:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Which BTC price do you use for trading?  (Read 1111 times)
eroxors (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

Think. Positive. Thoughts.

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2012, 02:40:54 PM

Does everyone use Mt. Gox last price for trading or do some use the weighted average or something else?

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2012, 04:44:16 PM

I always use MtGoxLast (or specifically the midpoint between highest bid and lowest ask if there's a significant gap) at the time the transaction hits the network.  I consider it the fairest, because the person receiving the funds has an equal opportunity to instantly convert it to USD if they think the rate is too high, and the economics of that opportunity stay the same no matter how long the person waits to make their payment.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 06:48:28 PM

Does everyone use Mt. Gox last price for trading or do some use the weighted average or something else?

It depends.  What problem you are trying to solve?  If you are selling bitcoins, you want the best price.   If you are accepting Dwolla, then that person with Dwolla can buy bitcoin at Camp BX and Intersango at a little lower than Mt. Gox's BTC/USD level.  So if you set a price based on Mt. Gox's last, you might not be competitive and might lost the opportunity to do the trade.

These exchanges should trade at roughly similar levels because of arbitrage occurring.  But because of delays when withdrawing from Mt. Gox, there is a price premium when buying on Mt. Gox's BTC/USD market.

For historical data analysis, having exact values aren't critical and the trends over time will be the same.  (e.g., if the price premium when buying at Mt. Gox's BTC/USD is about 2% higher than at other exchanges, then it will likely still be 2% higher a month from now as well.)  So there is no burning desire for an accurate "current price" that draws from all the various exchanges.

The current price is of limited use anyway if larger trading volumes are being considered.  There isn't a terrifically large amount of buying or selling needed to cause the price to move a couple percent either way.  Only what sits in the order books will tell at any point in time what is needed for any trades in the several thousand dollar (or greater) range.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

eroxors (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

Think. Positive. Thoughts.

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2012, 03:46:48 AM

It depends.  What problem you are trying to solve?  If you are selling bitcoins, you want the best price.   If you are accepting Dwolla, then that person with Dwolla can buy bitcoin at Camp BX and Intersango at a little lower than Mt. Gox's BTC/USD level.  So if you set a price based on Mt. Gox's last, you might not be competitive and might lost the opportunity to do the trade.

These exchanges should trade at roughly similar levels because of arbitrage occurring.  But because of delays when withdrawing from Mt. Gox, there is a price premium when buying on Mt. Gox's BTC/USD market.

For historical data analysis, having exact values aren't critical and the trends over time will be the same.  (e.g., if the price premium when buying at Mt. Gox's BTC/USD is about 2% higher than at other exchanges, then it will likely still be 2% higher a month from now as well.)  So there is no burning desire for an accurate "current price" that draws from all the various exchanges.

The current price is of limited use anyway if larger trading volumes are being considered.  There isn't a terrifically large amount of buying or selling needed to cause the price to move a couple percent either way.  Only what sits in the order books will tell at any point in time what is needed for any trades in the several thousand dollar (or greater) range.

When I say trading, I mean buying and selling items with BTC but listed in dollars. I'm just curious what method is most often used, I've been using weighted average, but I think most may be using last.

TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2012, 09:24:39 PM

I just let this do it for me: http://btcticker.appspot.com/

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 06:20:05 PM

When I say trading, I mean buying and selling items with BTC but listed in dollars. I'm just curious what method is most often used, I've been using weighted average, but I think most may be using last.

When there is volatility, just like what we are seeing today, weighted average is going to favor the seller when the exchange rate is rising, and favor the buyer when the exchange rate is dropping.  If you are in a low margin business and trade away the bitcoins after each sale, this can cause bit losses when the exchange rate is dropping (as you'll find a lot of buyers taking advantage of the price opportunity).  Also, your prices may not seem competitive when the exchange rate is rising.

So weighted average really is not always a great pricing strategy.  If your margins are large enough, then weighted price is probably adequate in most instances -- there's no profit from gaming you.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Fjordbit

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

firstbits.com/1kznfw

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2012, 11:49:55 PM

I don't use last because the bid/ask will often move away from this without a trade happening. My preference is Mt Gox bid but midway is fine too. I can't think of a single trade I've done that has happened fast enough for the number to be exact anyway, so a few cents here and there don't matter.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: