Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:36:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinbase announcement on Monday  (Read 5654 times)
dataispower (OP)

Activity: 1330
Merit: 289

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 11:55:19 AM

https://www.coinbase.com/lunar

Huh

Any ideas?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 12:02:16 PM

it's because the recent rise of bitcoin, i suppose
Antoine777

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 12:12:09 PM

I guess it is a partnership with Braintree/Paypal. US Merchants using Braintree will accept bitcoin from coinbase accounts only.
Be prepared to a a new fall of bitcoin price. A good and normal fall while the network settles.

To the moon will be later omho. I am pretty confident. Bitcoin is huge now and cannot die. The question is not will bitcoin be mainstream...but when.
dataispower (OP)

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 12:20:30 PM

I guess it is a partnership with Braintree/Paypal. US Merchants using Braintree will accept bitcoin from coinbase accounts only.
Be prepared to a a new fall of bitcoin price. A good and normal fall while the network settles.

To the moon will be later omho. I am pretty confident. Bitcoin is huge now and cannot die. The question is not will bitcoin be mainstream...but when.

We already know about the partnership with Braintree/Paypal.
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2015, 12:49:23 PM

I suppose that's the buy signal we are wwaitingfor. Also just recently saw ltc price going up.  Does that in any way connected?

newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1049

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 12:51:40 PM

Either regarding their partnership with NYSE or something regarding SpaceX.

fallinglantern

Activity: 260
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 12:56:48 PM

US Merchants using Braintree will accept bitcoin from coinbase accounts only.

Jesus. I hope not. That pretty much runs counter to all of the original principles of bitcoin.
thresher

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 01:39:08 PM

With that image and a countdown to the announcement, it better be something big or coinbase is going to look like a bunch of idiots.
Since they are trying to present themselves as a responsible company, I am going with great news, continued uptrend, fuck yeah  Grin
Or they could pull a fat guy on twitter move  Tongue
nikkihalbrook

Activity: 8

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 02:44:46 PM

I received the following 2 screenshots from a source. Obvious throwaway.

https://coinbase.com/lunar

https://i.imgur.com/VIXUxGV.png

https://i.imgur.com/qZDZ2p3.png

I am not entirely sure of the authenticity (my source does not work for Coinbase, but he has contacts), although this certainly explains the 50% flash rise in LTC.

Tips (will split with source): 1Fw96z3przNPe8jLsR1pRLDNrP6gguDhpy

See this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=935430.0
Hyena
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1011

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2015, 02:59:43 PM

I suppose that's the buy signal we are wwaitingfor. Also just recently saw ltc price going up.  Does that in any way connected?

Peercoin also went up significantly lately. From previous big BTC rallies it is known that LTC and PPC rally even greater. When Bitcoin rose 7x, LTC and PPC rallied ~15x. They obviously crashed much harder too. To me the fact that PPC and LTC are rallying shows that bottom is in (152$) and we are approaching the next big bitcoin rally.

★★★ CryptoGraffiti.info ★★★ Hidden Messages Found from the Block Chain (Thread)
cakir
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

★ BitClave ICO: 15/09/17 ★

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2015, 03:07:43 PM

if you look close the flag on the moon you'll see it's a BTC flag. I think "big crash" is coming Grin Grin

www.coinbase.com/assets/lunar/moon-e006355e797edb90fe4deb3ce760a711.png

,'#██+:                 
              ,█████████████'             
            +██████████████████           
          ;██████████████████████         
         ███████:         .███████`       
        ██████               ;█████'      
      `█████                   #████#     
      ████+                     `████+    
     ████:                        ████,   
    ████:    .#              █     ████   
   ;███+     ██             ███     ████  
   ████     ███'            ███.    '███, 
  +███     #████           ,████     ████ 
  ████     █████ .+██████: █████+    `███.
 ,███     ███████████████████████     ████
 ████     ███████████████████████'    :███
 ███:    +████████████████████████     ███`
 ███     █████████████████████████`    ███+
,███     ██████████████████████████    #███
'███    '██████████████████████████    ;███
#███    ███████████████████████████    ,███
████    ███████████████████████████.   .███
████    ███████████████████████████'   .███
+███    ███████████████████████████+   :███
:███    ███████████████████████████'   +███
 ███    ███████████████████████████.   ███#
 ███.   #██████████████████████████    ███,
 ████    █████████████████████████+   `███
 '███    '████████████████████████    ████
  ███;    ███████████████████████     ███;
  ████     #████████████████████     ████ 
   ███#     .██████████████████     `███+ 
   ████`      ;██████████████       ████  
    ████         '███████#.        ████.  
    .████                         █████   
     '████                       █████    
      #████'                    █████     
       +█████`                ██████      
        ,██████:           `███████       
          ████████#;,..:+████████.        
           ,███████████████████+          
             .███████████████;            
                `+███████#,               
dataispower (OP)

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 03:45:14 PM

I received the following 2 screenshots from a source. Obvious throwaway.

https://coinbase.com/lunar

I am not entirely sure of the authenticity (my source does not work for Coinbase, but he has contacts), although this certainly explains the 50% flash rise in LTC.

Tips (will split with source): 1Fw96z3przNPe8jLsR1pRLDNrP6gguDhpy

See this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=935430.0

With Dogecoin they will add a lot of new costumers - so it makes sense for them to add Dogecoin.

Hope they did.
jaberwock
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1073

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 03:52:08 PM

maybe it is a punch?

Monday, moon day?

And they will just to a half harmless update on site

olloman

Activity: 433

Crypto Angel

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 03:55:13 PM

this is on purpose very very far fetched, but trading in the NYSE using bitcoin through coinbase accounts? and/or listing of XBT/BTC as an option to invest in in the NYSE? Since the Winklewii etf/exchange is getting near they might want to offer an institutional "wall street" way to invest in bitcoin in advance "stealing" their hype, considering the large investment they just made in coinbase...
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 09:52:01 PM
Last edit: January 25, 2015, 10:04:19 PM by windjc

This is probably the announcement:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/first-u-s-bitcoin-exchange-set-to-open-1422221641

By GREG BENSINGER
Jan. 25, 2015 4:34 p.m. ET
0 COMMENTS
The virtual currency bitcoin is getting a very real boost on Monday, with the opening of the first licensed U.S. exchange.

Coinbase Inc., a startup backed by $106 million from the New York Stock Exchange, banks and venture-capital firms, said its exchange will offer greater security for individuals and institutions to trade bitcoin and monitor real-time pricing of the cryptocurrency.

The exchange could bring needed legitimacy to the currency, which isn’t backed by a central government and is traded over virtual exchanges, primarily overseas. Coinbase said it has insurance, offering traders some assurance that their money won’t disappear.

Bitcoin enthusiasts have been buffeted by the collapse of Japan-based exchange Mt. Gox last year—taking with it around half a billion dollars of investors’ money—and a security breach earlier this month at Slovenia-based exchange Bitstamp. The value of a bitcoin itself, determined by trading on existing exchanges, has fallen to about $240, from a peak in late 2013 of more than $1,200.

“To have an organized exchange that has the backing of thoughtful venture capitalists and investors addresses one of the main problems with bitcoin: its extreme volatility,” said Campbell R. Harvey, a Duke University finance professor who has studied cryptocurrencies. “Bitcoin has been sorely in need of something like this.”

Coinbase’s founders say they have been working for five months to win licenses from state financial regulators. They have regulatory approval in half of U.S. states, including large population centers like New York and California. For now, Coinbase can do business with account holders only in states where it has approval.

Coinbase will take a small percentage—likely less than 1%—of most transactions, said Fred Ehrsam, 26 years old, a co-founder. The exchange will initially be limited to users in the U.S., but Chief Executive Brian Armstrong, 32, said he plans to expand overseas.

Mr. Armstrong said he expected to attract both individuals and businesses looking to trade bitcoin. “Our goal is to become the world’s largest exchange,” he said.

Others are looking to open U.S.-based bitcoin exchanges, including Tyler and Cameron Winklevoss, the twin brothers known for their early feuds with Facebook Inc. founder Mark Zuckerberg .

Financial regulators, including the U.S. Federal Reserve, have been scrutinizing bitcoin recently. Benjamin Lawsky , the superintendent of the New York State Department of Financial Services, is working on a so-called BitLicense for firms looking to offer digital-currency services in the state; Coinbase is operating under earlier regulations. Mr. Lawsky’s plan is seen as a template for legislation in other jurisdictions, and it may give outsiders more confidence in the currency.

Bitcoins are created using high-powered computers that “mine” for the currency by solving complex mathematical equations. They are exchanged digitally either for currency, or goods and services. Ownership and transactions are recorded, anonymously, in a so-called blockchain, which backers say reduces the risk of fraud.

Bitcoin grew to prominence in recent years in part because of the ease with which it can be transferred.

Coindesk, which tracks the price of bitcoins, says 82,000 businesses accept the currency, double that of a year earlier, including e-commerce site Overstock.com Inc. and Expedia Inc., as well as many small retailers. The value of all bitcoin is $3.2 billion, according to Coindesk’s price index.

The NYSE invested in Coinbase during a $75 million round of fundraising that closed this month. Other investors include USAA Bank, the venture arm of Spain’s Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria SA, former Citigroup Inc. CEO Vikram Pandit and former Thomson Reuters Corp. CEO Tom Glocer. Venture backers include Draper Fisher Jurvetson, Andreessen Horowitz and Union Square Ventures.

The NYSE’s investment was intended in part to “keep an eye on bitcoin as it matures as a legitimate currency,” President Tom Farley said. “Any currency relies on its acceptance.” The Coinbase exchange “is an important step for the currency to become socially acceptable.”

Coinbase counts about 2.2 million consumer wallets and nearly 40,000 merchants that use its services. The company has about 75 employees and plans to operate in 30 countries by year-end, up from 19 today.
chairforce1

Activity: 316

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 10:07:57 PM

nice

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, death has not come, and when death has come, we are not. #yolo

-Epicuru$
sherbyspark

Activity: 910

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 10:15:07 PM

if you look close the flag on the moon you'll see it's a BTC flag. I think "big crash" is coming Grin Grin

www.coinbase.com/assets/lunar/moon-e006355e797edb90fe4deb3ce760a711.png

Lol, Maybe they will take us to the moon Tongue
It might be something to plant a Bitcoin flag on the moon. Definiteely a big achievement.
tabnloz
Legendary

Activity: 961

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 10:17:07 PM

http://www.wsj.com/articles/first-u-s-bitcoin-exchange-set-to-open-1422221641
A.F.K

Activity: 52

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 11:47:00 PM

Great. COinbase seems to be one of the btter managed Bitcoin businesses.
testerman

Activity: 840

View Profile
January 26, 2015, 12:01:43 AM

well done coinbase,

this benefits the bitcoin in mid-ong term
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: