Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:28:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Delusional bulls be Like...  (Read 5386 times)
homo homini lupus

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 02:10:25 AM

They just shitted all over Bitcoin.

Everyone shits all over it because it deserves it right now.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
traderCJ

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 02:30:43 AM

I doubt the masses are interested in dealing with bitcoin when there are other alternatives like Applepay  or ripple and others which are actually faster than bitcoin since it can take up to half an hour or more for the confirmations to go through. Sure some merchants accept 0 confirmation transactions but that's not secure, you don't need the blockchain if you have to trust strangers...
I don't see it replacing credit cards when you have to buy groceries or whatever. Especially in the eyes of the masses who don't put decentralisation above how fast/easy it is to use it...
Also bitcoin transaction fees will be eventually higher as block reward is reduced (long term as you say), that is one of the limitations of the bitcoin blockchain and his proof-of-work...

Maybe other cryptos like nubits or ripple or others will make it regarding fees, not sure about bitcoin.

Listen to this man.  It's all about what your average consumer wants.  They don't care about the blockchain, or decentralization, or cryptography, or any of these buzz words.  It doesn't matter if the government runs it, a gigantic corporation runs it, or if it's driven by a block chain.  They want something quick, easy, and reversible.  If that's Bitcoin, fine.  If that's a credit card, alrighty.  Ripple, Applepay, etc?  Doesn't matter, so long as their simple demands are met.

Something to ponder: In the physical world, business moves at a certain pace.  Anything internet-based is competitive beyond imagination and moves at an lightning pace.  Whichever payment system survives, it will have to be flexible.  That means new features being implemented in months, not years.  That means not having to beg and plead for a miner consensus.  Like it or not, delivering the latest and greatest features to the consumer will require centralization.  Bitcoin must adapt, innovate, improve, compete, etc. or it will perish.
CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 02:56:02 AM

I doubt the masses are interested in dealing with bitcoin when there are other alternatives like Applepay  or ripple and others which are actually faster than bitcoin since it can take up to half an hour or more for the confirmations to go through. Sure some merchants accept 0 confirmation transactions but that's not secure, you don't need the blockchain if you have to trust strangers...
I don't see it replacing credit cards when you have to buy groceries or whatever. Especially in the eyes of the masses who don't put decentralisation above how fast/easy it is to use it...
Also bitcoin transaction fees will be eventually higher as block reward is reduced (long term as you say), that is one of the limitations of the bitcoin blockchain and his proof-of-work...

Maybe other cryptos like nubits or ripple or others will make it regarding fees, not sure about bitcoin.

Listen to this man.  It's all about what your average consumer wants.  They don't care about the blockchain, or decentralization, or cryptography, or any of these buzz words.  It doesn't matter if the government runs it, a gigantic corporation runs it, or if it's driven by a block chain.  They want something quick, easy, and reversible.  If that's Bitcoin, fine.  If that's a credit card, alrighty.  Ripple, Applepay, etc?  Doesn't matter, so long as their simple demands are met.

Something to ponder: In the physical world, business moves at a certain pace.  Anything internet-based is competitive beyond imagination and moves at an lightning pace.  Whichever payment system survives, it will have to be flexible.  That means new features being implemented in months, not years.  That means not having to beg and plead for a miner consensus.  Like it or not, delivering the latest and greatest features to the consumer will require centralization.  Bitcoin must adapt, innovate, improve, compete, etc. or it will perish.

We don't want reversible transactions....
mmitech (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

things you own end up owning you

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 03:09:01 AM

Around October last year someone screwed me for around €7500 worth of BTC, I never saw that money again, if that money happened to be stolen/hacked from my Paypal account or Credit Card It would be back into my account in a matter of days, it hurts because I didn't find that money laying around somewhere, that amount of money is critical to many people, in fact it is critical for me as well but I didn't go bankrupt, and I learned my lesson... do I hate Bitcoin because of that, NO... will I recommend using Bitcoin to my family and friends, Hell no, not at this point.

There are so many things that needs improving before Bitcoin can get the mass adoption it needs, right now it is just a hype get rich quick scheme for the delusional hopeless speculators.
traderCJ

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 03:21:56 AM

So you're suggesting that banks and credit cards be replaced with a technology where transactions cannot be disputed?  If so, I consider you to be certifiably nuts.
CoinCidental
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 03:27:29 AM

So you're suggesting that banks and credit cards be replaced with a technology where transactions cannot be disputed?  If so, I consider you to be certifiably nuts.

I want both tbh....
If I'm ordering something from some dodgy eBay seller in China I'll use PayPal
If I'm sending £100,000 to my sister in Australia, il use btc
If I'm in a third world country and I want to buy a burger and a beer I'll probably use cash

I don't know why people think it has to be all or nothing, Bitcoin and every other form of money  has its advantages and disadvantages, learn to use them   all to your benefit... /
traderCJ

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 03:32:39 AM

Around October last year someone screwed me for around €7500 worth of BTC, I never saw that money again, if that money happened to be stolen/hacked from my Paypal account or Credit Card It would be back into my account in a matter of days, it hurts because I didn't find that money laying around somewhere, that amount of money is critical to many people, in fact it is critical for me as well but I didn't go bankrupt, and I learned my lesson... do I hate Bitcoin because of that, NO... will I recommend using Bitcoin to my family and friends, Hell no, not at this point.

I've almost lost much more than that through an overly complex key security scheme for one of my wallets back in the day.  The reality is that holding Bitcoins in a wallet is no different than burying gold bars in the back yard.  You've got to keep the private keys somewhere.  You lose them, you're hosed.  Lose your password which secures the keys on your computer?  Hosed.  Someone steals them, you're hosed.  I don't care what physical security protocol someone has in place, there is always a flaw which can be exploited.  There is no such thing as perfect security in the physical world.  Digital currency is great, but people need to recognize the risks of directly handling non-refundable ledger entries.  So, I agree with you as far as getting family and friends involved.  To them I say only park as much money in Bitcoin as you're willing to lose.  Banks fuck up left and right as well, but I've never lost a cent due to fraudulent transactions or loss of a banking password.  Things to consider from outside the Bitcoin echo chamber.
traderCJ

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 03:34:37 AM

I want both tbh....
If I'm ordering something from some dodgy eBay seller in China I'll use PayPal
If I'm sending £100,000 to my sister in Australia, il use btc
If I'm in a third world country and I want to buy a burger and a beer I'll probably use cash

I don't know why people think it has to be all or nothing, Bitcoin and every other form of money  has its advantages and disadvantages, learn to use them   all to your benefit... /

Fair enough, but you said "WE don't want reversible transactions .." which I took to mean consumers in general Smiley
Fabrizio89

Activity: 924

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 05:38:11 AM

That second trendline starting from the 200 bubble is too sharp, that was only a market misinterpretation of the effect of the reward halving.
bclcjunkie

Activity: 833

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 04:24:52 PM
Last edit: January 29, 2015, 04:35:26 PM by bclcjunkie

well they are not alone at having such doubts about bitcoin's inherent problems... they've seen enough of bitcoin to make those conclusions, even Max Keiser doesn't shill for bitcoin and had to resort to his own clones... what worries me about bitcoin is lack of innovation, the politics that's draining resources while eventually losing its race to more efficient and user-friendly technologies... reminds me UNIX back in the days being taken over by Linux... as much as people whine about ripple being centralized,  isn't bitcoin moving towards that direction already...? soon we're going to end up with just a handful of regulated exchanges, big ass mining operators that will push out average joe... you can imagine where ripple is going to be by the time all those inherent flaws of bitcoin are addressed...? And here comes the worst test for bitcoin what happens once all those big miners exit as soon as it's fully mined, if there's not going to be real demand for blockchain the price will be so ridiculously low by then that they are not going to be there for TX fees that's for sure... as you know that hashrate is what keeps blockchain secure... At least one thing i like about ripple is that it doesn't feed greedy asic manufacturers, cloud mining operations and lazy ass clowns from bitcoin foundation...

I will just leave this here too

I got an E-mail update from Linkedin, I checked out and it seems like some of Bitstamp employees were changing their work to a new company called GateHub Limited., So I Googled it to try to understand the reasons behind it and came to find this

This is what was interesting to me:

Quote from: GateHub link=https://xrptalk.org/topic/5293-opening-gatehub-february-2015/

For me it all started with Bitcoin. While studying architecture and working as a freelance web designer and developer, Nejc Kodrič contacted me one day and asked me to design him a website. He explained what Bitcoin is and how he believes it will change the world. I thought he was nuts. But after a while it became clear that we could make the world a better place. Bitcoin is amazing but it has limitations when it comes to everyday use. That’s where Ripple steps in.

Working for Bitstamp from the very beginning made me very fortunate to be one of the first people to get to know Ripple.

It was hard to grasp on everything it can do. But after using it for a while I realized that the founders of this protocol are up to something. Money right now is boring. There is no Twitter, Instagram or Facebook for money. You can’t have cool apps to visualize your income or spending. The reason for that is simply because we don’t have a protocol through which these apps could communicate with each other. We don’t have an API for money.

Ripple is that protocol, it is that API which we can use right now.

Knowing all that I decided that the only way to make everybody see the future is to bring the future to them. That’s how the idea of a new gateway was born. Me and my colleagues worked very hard for the last year to create something truly useful.

We hope you’ll love it as much as we do!

Enej Pungerčar, CEO and founder of GateHub Ltd.

Investors:

Investors & Advisors

Greg Kidd, CRO Ripple Labs
Chris Larsen, CEO Ripple Labs
Nejc Kodrič, CEO Bitstamp
George Frost, Lawyer

CoinCidental
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 04:42:07 PM

well they are not alone at having such doubts about bitcoin's inherent problems... they've seen enough of bitcoin to make those conclusions, even Max Keiser doesn't shill for bitcoin and had to resort to his own clones... what worries me about bitcoin is lack of innovation, the politics that's draining resources while eventually losing its race to more efficient and user-friendly technologies... reminds me UNIX back in the days being taken over by Linux... as much as people whine about ripple being centralized,  isn't bitcoin moving towards that direction already...? soon we're going to end up with just a handful of regulated exchanges, big ass mining operators that will push out average joe... you can imagine where ripple is going to be by the time all those inherent flaws of bitcoin are addressed...? And here comes the worst test for bitcoin what happens once all those big miners exit as soon as it's fully mined, if there's not going to be real demand for blockchain the price will be so ridiculously low by then that they are not going to be there for TX fees that's for sure... as you know that hashrate is what keeps blockchain secure... At least one thing i like about ripple is that it doesn't feed greedy asic manufacturers, cloud mining operations and lazy ass clowns from bitcoin foundation...

I will just leave this here too

I got an E-mail update from Linkedin, I checked out and it seems like some of Bitstamp employees were changing their work to a new company called GateHub Limited., So I Googled it to try to understand the reasons behind it and came to find this

This is what was interesting to me:

Quote from: GateHub link=https://xrptalk.org/topic/5293-opening-gatehub-february-2015/

For me it all started with Bitcoin. While studying architecture and working as a freelance web designer and developer, Nejc Kodrič contacted me one day and asked me to design him a website. He explained what Bitcoin is and how he believes it will change the world. I thought he was nuts. But after a while it became clear that we could make the world a better place. Bitcoin is amazing but it has limitations when it comes to everyday use. That’s where Ripple steps in.

Working for Bitstamp from the very beginning made me very fortunate to be one of the first people to get to know Ripple.

It was hard to grasp on everything it can do. But after using it for a while I realized that the founders of this protocol are up to something. Money right now is boring. There is no Twitter, Instagram or Facebook for money. You can’t have cool apps to visualize your income or spending. The reason for that is simply because we don’t have a protocol through which these apps could communicate with each other. We don’t have an API for money.

Ripple is that protocol, it is that API which we can use right now.

Knowing all that I decided that the only way to make everybody see the future is to bring the future to them. That’s how the idea of a new gateway was born. Me and my colleagues worked very hard for the last year to create something truly useful.

We hope you’ll love it as much as we do!

Enej Pungerčar, CEO and founder of GateHub Ltd.

Investors:

Investors & Advisors

Greg Kidd, CRO Ripple Labs
Chris Larsen, CEO Ripple Labs
Nejc Kodrič, CEO Bitstamp
George Frost, Lawyer

ripple aint worth shit .......il be sticking with btc Smiley
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 05:51:05 PM

lol @ ripple

Bitcoin has some serious problems that have to be addressed... But ripple... Seriously? It's not even a comparison nor competitor... If you followed the development in ripple since the start you can see how it turned from a great idea like bitcoin into some messed up rigged banking scheme.

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
Shak

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 06:02:48 PM

ripple shill 1
ripple shill 2
ripple shill 3
ripple shill 4

wonderful Smiley now that you are all have a gathering here it's way more easier to expand my ignore list Smiley
ParabellumLite

Activity: 560

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 06:04:11 PM

lol @ ripple

Bitcoin has some serious problems that have to be addressed... But ripple... Seriously? It's not even a comparison nor competitor... If you followed the development in ripple since the start you can see how it turned from a great idea like bitcoin into some messed up rigged banking scheme.

Rather narrow minded summary you're giving there, and wrong as well. Since when did Ripple become a 'scheme'? I love the ignorance of a lot of people on these boards, especially regarding Bitcoin alternatives. Everything will be used to frame a credible alternative as a scam/scheme or something other negative something.

I do agree that both do not compete, and Bitcoin could remain to exist in the Ripple infrastructure, as Ripple is simply much more than simply XRP. XRP is actually just a side thing in the greater spectrum.

If by messed up you mean going into the direction of KYC practices, then I say they did a good job over there at RL. Simply because governments will never - ever - allow the existence of an untraceable currency that can be used to launder money, buy drugs or evade taxes. Ripple is actually walking the correct path so far.
oblivi

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 06:27:56 PM

ripple shill 1
ripple shill 2
ripple shill 3
ripple shill 4

wonderful Smiley now that you are all have a gathering here it's way more easier to expand my ignore list Smiley

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=224365.0

Good thread on the ripple thing.
Fact is if big names werent involved in Ripple it would have crashed a long time ago.
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

lol @ ripple

Rather narrow minded summary you're giving there, and wrong as well. Since when did Ripple become a 'scheme'? I love the ignorance of a lot of people on these boards, especially regarding Bitcoin alternatives. Everything will be used to frame a credible alternative as a scam/scheme or something other negative something.

I do agree that both do not compete, and Bitcoin could remain to exist in the Ripple infrastructure, as Ripple is simply much more than simply XRP. XRP is actually just a side thing in the greater spectrum.

If by messed up you mean going into the direction of KYC practices, then I say they did a good job over there at RL. Simply because governments will never - ever - allow the existence of an untraceable currency that can be used to launder money, buy drugs or evade taxes. Ripple is actually walking the correct path so far.

The sheer fact that you would consider ripple a "credible alternative" is completely beyond me... I don't know if you're aware of the full history of the thing though, but whatever credibility it had, is long lost...
It doesn't mean there's no place for it in the world, I'm sure there is, just not in my open and free world. I'll pass on this one.

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2015, 09:30:09 PM

irony much?
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: