Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 05:01:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [IDEA] Bitcoin community center  (Read 1678 times)
grantbdev (OP)

Activity: 292
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 05:27:55 PM

Hypothetically speaking, if a Bitcoin nerd managed to acquire commercial property (like a former restaurant or phone store) in order to make a bitcoin community center for a city or a town, what would you want in there? Would it focus on bitcoin education? Providing bitcoin services? Or would it just be a specialized internet cafe? What would you do?

Don't use BIPS!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 02:00:06 AM

Nightly Bitcoin training and exchange.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 05:50:28 AM

Interesting
Could you elaborate what kind of training would go on? Maybe like a projector or perhaps everyone brings their own laptops and can follow along or something like that?
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 10:40:57 AM

Hypothetically speaking, if a Bitcoin nerd managed to acquire commercial property (like a former restaurant or phone store) in order to make a bitcoin community center for a city or a town, what would you want in there? Would it focus on bitcoin education? Providing bitcoin services? Or would it just be a specialized internet cafe? What would you do?

Which town are you speaking of? Personally, I would invade a libertarian town.

grantbdev (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 03:20:46 PM

Which town are you speaking of? Personally, I would invade a libertarian town.

I am actually 100% serious about the 'hypothetical part'. Ideally, you would want at least one center in every major city.

Don't use BIPS!
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 03:48:02 PM

Interesting
Could you elaborate what kind of training would go on? Maybe like a projector or perhaps everyone brings their own laptops and can follow along or something like that?

Everyone bringing their own laptops would certainly be helpful.

The training would basically be...how to set up a Bitcoin wallet and get some bitcoins (the exchange part being useful for them getting their first Bitcoins).

From there you could show people some websites of places that they can spend their bitcoins.

You could have a separate training session for Bitcoin merchants, showing them how to set up Bitcoin payments on their webpage or using bit-pay for POS transactions or other ways of accepting BTC.

If they bring their laptops, they can set up their wallet securely right there. Or you could have a computer there and show them how to create a wallet and put it on disk or thumb drive, then let them keep the disk (letting them know that they should transfer the BTC to a new wallet when they get home).

You could also show the basic steps on how to get BTC through MtGox or Bitinstant or others.

There is much to learn, most likely the basics will be a good start.

The exchange would be key. It could also help with funding.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 04:50:54 PM
Last edit: July 17, 2012, 06:21:38 PM by jim618

There is a useful precedent for your Bitcoin community centre.

Starting in 1652 coffee houses started opening in London and soon became THE place to do business:
http://www.history.co.uk/explore-history/history-of-london/coffee-houses-london-s-penny-universities.html.

For instance that is how Lloyds of London started.

Ok a gestation period of 360 years is a little long. But in the year 2372 they will look back and say:

"The first Bitcoin community centre started right here."

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 06:50:47 AM

I guess I would consider bitcoin a failure if community centers were needed everywhere. Isn't the goal to make it super easy and user friendly? And if that is achieved, why would there be need for community centers?
grantbdev (OP)

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 06:09:44 PM

I guess I would consider bitcoin a failure if community centers were needed everywhere. Isn't the goal to make it super easy and user friendly? And if that is achieved, why would there be need for community centers?

I think quite the opposite, if there was enough demand to keep bitcoin community centers afloat I think that would only help bitcoin be successful.

Another idea I'm thinking about is community centers could help local merchants accept bitcoins, and possibly provide physical bitcoins and credit union/ATM services.

Don't use BIPS!
Atheros

Activity: 249
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2012, 06:29:47 PM

They could (and would need to) sell something like coffee and drinks to pay the bills. Accepting cash and credit at the register would be wise so that people who really don't care about Bitcoin could buy coffee and support the existence of the space. There could be a neon sign hanging in the window advertising the fact that coffee is sold there, but the larger sign above the store-front could say Bitcoin Community Center.

BM-GteJMPqvHRUdUHHa1u7dtYnfDaH5ogeY
Bitmessage.org - Decentralized, trustless, encrypted, authenticated messaging protocol and client.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2012, 12:42:52 AM

You could run it as an internet cafe plus sell mobile phones and other things for bitcoins and dollars.

Explodicle

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 22, 2012, 01:27:51 AM

They could do training classes for advanced topics too
* Paper wallets & cold storage
* Alternate clients
* Your first mining rig
* p2pool

Activities for related software
* GnuPG key signing events
* Internet privacy for dummies
Atheros

Activity: 249
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2012, 03:44:28 PM

They could do training classes for advanced topics too
* Paper wallets & cold storage
* Alternate clients
* Your first mining rig
* p2pool

Activities for related software
* GnuPG key signing events
* Internet privacy for dummies

That would be fun! :-D

BM-GteJMPqvHRUdUHHa1u7dtYnfDaH5ogeY
Bitmessage.org - Decentralized, trustless, encrypted, authenticated messaging protocol and client.
TeslaUa

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 10:14:20 AM

Sound much like hackerspace. Maybe it make sense to visit your closest one and see if that idea made rounds there alredy?
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 05:55:34 AM

Sound much like hackerspace. Maybe it make sense to visit your closest one and see if that idea made rounds there alredy?

And the first ones where that might start happening are in regions where electricity is cheap.  In those regions there is an advantageous economic incentive available to those who mine bitcoins.  The hackerspace might be where mining newbies can get guidance as to what to purchase and how to get set up.

Those mining then have bitcoins that could be spent locally.  With sufficient numbers of customers who would pay for purchases with bitcoins, merchants would be able to justify the additional steps to adding bitcoin as a payment method.  Exchanging at the hackerspace would begin to occur and gain in variety and frequency.  From there, bitcoin adoption spreads into and throughout the community.  The hackerspace is the focal point where Bitcoin-related community, education, and commerce occurs.

- http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/List_of_Hacker_Spaces

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Vernon715

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 03:16:55 PM

I think that you could also sell pre-built mining/gaming rigs to help pay the bills. You could also contact Casascius to find out if you could become a retailer of his coins. Even if this is not possible you should at least offer to buy Casascius coins, bitbills, and any other reputable physical bitcoins at market value. In my opinion you also need to provide more advanced privacy sessions, covering topics such as TOR, VPN's and proxies. You should also sell chips from ButterFried Labs (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=94389.0).

Please donate: 1FfJzfpGCXD6saKqmMs8W1qt9wouhA98Mj

http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/1642

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: