Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 09:07:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Who cares if Bitcoin goes mainstream?  (Read 3610 times)
Daniel91
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 09:15:11 AM

We all should care.
If Bitcoin goes mainstream its value will increase a lot, so we will earn more.
We will also have much more opportunity to use our bitcoin funds for buying different digital products, holidays trips, e-books etc.
Yes, we should care because anything good happens with btc impact us in positive way Smiley

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2015, 09:25:50 AM

I honestly don't know why people suggest we can't buy much with Bitcoin. Especially easy if you live in North America.

http://www.overstock.com

But most people don't live in North America.

I live in Mexico (still North America, but still not the USA). I can't do much here yet.

You are closer than I am, international shipping is your friend. I dont think it's shameful to convert to fiat before you buy stuff.

What? No. Anything you want to buy online can be done with Bitcoin now.

I could care less if Bitcoin goes mainstream. I actually welcome people to stay with their fiat, I have told my family and people that I care about how to buy bitcoins and continue to do that for them (I wish they had listened to me at $17/BTC). But the same losers that vote for Obama and Romney. The same people that have destroyed the US. They get what they deserve and they deserve to be late to Bitcoin.

If Bitcoin usefulness as a currency was frozen to its current use, it would still be 10x more useful than fiat. But I know there are thousands of people out there working to advance it.

Right now it can be used to pay for anything online, can be used for remittance, used as a store of value, can be used for gift cards for most major retailers in the US.

The two things that would make things easier for me personally would be a Bitcoin bill pay service and hopefully this Indego point of sale service working out where over 25 million retail shops in Europe will be able to accept Bitcoin.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Moonpig

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 11:22:14 AM

I also care, bitcoin must go mainstream, this is our biggest challenge.

I care too. It's not about just wanting to get rich quick but I think it needs to gain at least some mainstream adoption for it to be seen as a viable currency. After all, what good is a currency that you can't spend?
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2015, 11:29:57 AM

for it to be seen as a viable currency. After all, what good is a currency that you can't spend?

Why do you need it to be seen as a viable currency? If you can spend it now, why worry about how others see it?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
neutraLTC
Legendary

Activity: 1492
Merit: 1021

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2015, 11:32:04 AM

I also care, bitcoin must go mainstream, this is our biggest challenge.

I care too. It's not about just wanting to get rich quick but I think it needs to gain at least some mainstream adoption for it to be seen as a viable currency. After all, what good is a currency that you can't spend?

I believe that to reach mainstream adoption, we need to have the whole infrastructure in place. A cryptocurrency ecosystem already in place. Mainstream users just need to click BUY WITH BITCOIN and that's it.

DEMAND STRATUMV2 MINING POOL: DMND.WORK
M8

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 11:46:42 AM

for it to be seen as a viable currency. After all, what good is a currency that you can't spend?

Why do you need it to be seen as a viable currency? If you can spend it now, why worry about how others see it?

But we can't really spend it now. Sure there are a few places here and there but zero places on the highstreet.  I think everybody wants to be able to spend their coins but until people can actually spend it in many places in the real world then it's still going to be seen as just a niche thing for geeks sadly.
lihuajkl
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 01:58:41 PM

It needs to go mainstream and the price will be more stable which has some kind of correlation. The more the adoption rate is, the more stable of the price! Ppl will adopt it and experience the benefit of it comparing with the traditional fiat!
Silly Money

Activity: 159
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 02:21:31 PM

I think we all want bitcoin to go mainstream. The speculators do to make a profit and the believers do because we actually want to buy shit with it.

It needs to go mainstream and the price will be more stable which has some kind of correlation. The more the adoption rate is, the more stable of the price! Ppl will adopt it and experience the benefit of it comparing with the traditional fiat!

What do you base this on? I don't think it going mainstream will necessarily make it more stable.

Daniel91
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 02:39:28 PM

I think we all want bitcoin to go mainstream. The speculators do to make a profit and the believers do because we actually want to buy shit with it.

What do you base this on? I don't think it going mainstream will necessarily make it more stable.

I agree with you.
We all want bitcoin to go mainstream because we will have many more ways to use bitcoin, spend it on buying many digital goods...
This will also create higher demand for bitcoin and this will eventually helps stability of bitcoin, price will go up etc.
We definitely need more average bitcoin users and mustn't become exclusive club or stay in some marketing niche.
Such scenario can kill bitcoin in long term. 

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
zetaray

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 03:57:15 PM

I want bitcoin to go mainstream to challenge the banking system. We want bitcoin to succeed just to prove we are able to see the potential right from the beginning when the majority is dismissing it. I am not supporting bitcoin for profit, I have too little to matter.

.CryptoTotal.com.
                              l█████████▇▀
                              ████████▇▀
                              ███████▇▀
                              ██████▇▀
                              █████▇▀
                              ████▇▀
                              ███▇▀
                              ██▇▀
                              █▇▀
                              ▇▀
▇▇
▇▇

Express.Crypto.Checkout
Accepts Multiple Cryptos
Worldwide Shipping
Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2015, 04:06:50 PM

These get rich quicksters by definition aren't in it for the long haul and would probably dump their coins as soon as they can make a decent gain which will likely be premature in the grand scheme of things and looking at the full potential of bitcoin.
On the long view, any time you accept fiat in exchange for control over any quantity of bitcoin, you have made a poor decision both ethically and financially.

You have accepted violence-backed fiat scrip, thereby tacitly endorsing its legitimacy and value. In doing so you make our world a more violent and less democratic place.

To be crystal clear, I am arguing that as bitcoin (and geopolitics) downsizes fiat marketcaps by orders of magnitude, the more democratic and less violent the affected societies will become.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 05:09:52 PM

We need mainstream adoption to have a high stable price, basically.
mercistheman

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 05:36:39 PM

I still can't wrap my head around the effect of large retailers coming on board (Amazon, Walmart etc)... are the buyers really going to outpace the quick dumps?
neurotypical

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 07:25:12 PM

I still can't wrap my head around the effect of large retailers coming on board (Amazon, Walmart etc)... are the buyers really going to outpace the quick dumps?
Yep they will, amazon and walmart is huge.
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2015, 08:29:58 PM

I personally care if Bitcoin goes mainstream.  In fact, I want it to go mainstream.

I want to be able to buy cheap boxers at Walmart, buy diapers on Amazon, or fill up on gas at the gas station using Bitcoin as a payment method.  I want to book all my trips in BTC, not have to worry about exchange rates when travelling abroad, and send money to my great nana in the Philippines without exorbitant fees or long wait confirmation times.

I know there's ways to do this with Bitcoin, but still in roundabout ways, indirectly.  There's Gyft, and Purse.io, and Rebit.ph, etc etc

What I'm talking about is when Bitcoin use is 1 click directly without 3rd party, without getting redirected to Coinbase or Bitpay and waiting for 6 confirmations, without copy and pasting a BTC address.

Either by QR scan code or NFC or some sort of smart payment processor that does everything behind the scenes without me checking BlockChain.info every 10 minutes to see if the confirms are finally going through.

I want Bitcoin to hit the mainstream badly, but I know we're still a ways to go before we're ready for primetime.  That said I believe in continued patience, as I see so many things in the pipeline, the startups, the investing, the development, the continued adoption by retailers.  

Going mainstream isn't a bad thing.  If anything it'll lead to more funding, more interest, more brilliant people wanting to get involved, and we get to see this grass roots movement go full tilt and change the establishment in a great way.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 08:31:45 PM

Those who want Bitcoin to "go mainstream" are the get rich quick crowd.

Most debt slaves wouldn't know freedom or responsibility if it smacked them in the face with a pipe wrench. Why do we need them to use Bitcoin again? Exactly, we don't.

They have guns and will kill/torture me if I refuse to use the Fiat their masters give them.
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 08:36:49 PM

personally I want Bitcoin to go mainstream, call me an idealist but it will mean sound money for once globally and all the benefits for people globally.

BUT. I'm also selfish and if people aren't going to wise up and are more likely to trust the MSM then who gives a crap, its their problem I mean as long as I can store my wealth in Bitcoin, move it over borders protection in a currency crisis etc I couldn't give a rats ass if it goes mainstream. I know mainstream would boost the price a lot but even if we hardly have any growth in users and it remains a niche market the price will still eventually increase enough to make most people happy. So maybe people should stop crying for acceptance from the mainstream and give a finger to them rather than begging for legitimacy and regulation. Ironically it would make Bitcoin more attractive to many people as well. Bitcoin is like the weird misunderstood kid at school and instead of being aloof and confidently different many are wanting Bitcoin to make friends with the popular kids, its sad, wrong and a mistake. Where's the revolution spirit and anti establishment that I'm sure Satoshi wanted and made Bitcoin to counteract.

In a nutshell screw Bill gates, Screw Warren Buffet, Screw the FED's, Screw everyone who opposes democratization of money that puts power back with the people not governments and their printing presses. Seriously screw em and stop pandering to them. We need leaders in the crypto community that instead of wanting to build bridges all the time should be acting more like the Sex Pistols.  

We all want bitcoin to go mainstream obviously, and its not only because we want the price to be higher, but also so that we can use our funds the way we want to without everyone knowing where we farted.
And to get critical mass, we dont need another hype the puffs and settles, no.. we need to do what we do, spend our bitcoins, continue to better it, continue developing aps and software thats bitcoin related, and show
the world why bitcoin is awesome replacement for copy-paste fiat.

cheers
OROBTC
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 08:40:34 PM

BTC going mainstream would clearly give us (and soon-to-be adopters) more options and more ways to use Bitcoin.  IMO that is an unequivocal good thing.  It would likely make segments happy too (eg, merchants who avoid 3% credit card fees).

But, for now I am happy enough that PM dealer providentmetals.com takes BTC (there are about three other gold dealers who do as well).  THIS for me is important.

I would also like more options for spending BTC overseas when we travel (Peru, Europe).  Or even taking local FIAT$ form a foreign ATM in case I needed local money...
linuxnewbie

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 09:59:34 PM

It's irrational not to care if Bitcoin goes mainstream. Bitcoin is either better or worse than fiat. If it's worse, it's irrational to want it to go mainstream. On the other hand, if it's better, it's irrational not to want it to go mainstream.

hellocandyass

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2015, 10:02:04 PM

I'd love this considering how much I've invested in the currency.
God knows how much I hate PayFraud!
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: