Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:34:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Announcing my first product, Clothes Detergent  (Read 3330 times)
TheBitcoinChemist (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 03:57:42 AM

I'd like to try it but my wife has very sensitive skin so I know it's unlikely I'd ever purchase any.

Probably wise.  Like I said, this is strong stuff that cannot be found on the retail market anymore.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitcoinbear

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 04:20:52 AM

That smell is just the smell of clean, as there are no perfumes.

I suppose the safety reasons are valid.
For the record, this forumula has exactly 5 ingredients, all of which are active.
In no particular order....

(real) lye soap

sodium-chloride

sodium-carbonite

sodium-tetraborate

sodium-triphosphate.

All four sodiums are white powders, while the soap looks like shredded American cheese.

I hope you mean sodium carbonate, not sodium carbonite which is an explosive!

Are you still sending out samples? I would like to try a bit.

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 06:04:10 PM

PM me.

I just registered for the $PLOTS presale! Thank you @plotsfinance for allowing me to purchase tokens at the discounted valuation of only $0.015 per token, a special offer for anyone who participated in the airdrop. Tier II round is for the public at $0.025 per token. Allocation is very limited and you need to register first using the official Part III link found on their twitter. Register using my referral code CPB5 to receive 2,500 points.
TheBitcoinChemist (OP)

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 07:18:24 PM

That smell is just the smell of clean, as there are no perfumes.

I suppose the safety reasons are valid.
For the record, this forumula has exactly 5 ingredients, all of which are active.
In no particular order....

(real) lye soap

sodium-chloride

sodium-carbonite

sodium-tetraborate

sodium-triphosphate.

All four sodiums are white powders, while the soap looks like shredded American cheese.

I hope you mean sodium carbonate, not sodium carbonite which is an explosive!

Yes, sorry.  Sodium Carbonate, otherwise known as washing soda.

Are you still sending out samples? I would like to try a bit.

PM me with your address.
bluefirecorp
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 10:16:45 AM

I did receive my sample. I'm still waiting for my fiance to do laundry with it.

The sample smells really good actually. I like the smell better than other laundry detergent smells.

If it cleans as well as it smells, I might just have to order a couple cases of the stuff.  Cool

tgmarks
Donator

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 02:54:39 PM

I owe TheBitcoinChemist a big apology for how long it has taken me to post here.  I received my sample and it smelled great.  I heald off using it for a while being a skeptic and not wanting to ruin any of my nicer clothes, but when I used it, it worked great.  I think he has done a solid here and created a real good product.  Thanks for the test sample and thank you for your patience in my response.  Clothes smelled good too after using too.

+1

bluefirecorp
Legendary

Activity: 882

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 11:31:22 PM

I used it. It works great. It does smell REALLY good in the packaging. My clothes just went through the washer, not the dryer yet. My fiance did make the mistake of having the washer on 'cold' instead of hot, but it still managed to clean all my clothes in there. I'm very impressed with this and am willing to buy some more Smiley

What prices are you looking for?

TheBitcoinChemist (OP)

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 12:35:47 AM

What prices are you looking for?

Ah, therein lies the rub.  I haven't figured all that out, but I have to admit it's unlikely that I can get the costs comparable with a commercial product you can find at Wal-Mart, considering the additional costs of shipping involved.  The stuff is concentrated, as the sample size for one full load is only 2 tablespoons (one fluid ounce); but I haven't yet figured out the best way to ship it.

EDIT: I'm certainly willing to accept advice concerning the best method of shipping.
moocow1452

Activity: 240
Merit: 250

Don't mind me.

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 01:38:46 AM

Flat rate if you can manage, maybe an envelope if you are sure as hell it will not leak. Maybe Shipwire might be helpful if you need to get it to a lot of places fast.
TheBitcoinChemist (OP)

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 12:51:39 AM

Alright, I've been neglecting my business here too long.  So far, I have made exactly one batch, from which a few samples have been sent.  I have taken the remainder of that batch, and poured it into a cleaned & dried plastic coffee can.  The large size you can get from Sam's Club.  It's not quite full.  I've taped it up, and intend to weigh it.  I'm not sure exactly how much a fluid ounce (one washload) of this mixed power actually weighs, but I intend to offer it at the BTC equal to 20 cents per ounce or actual shipping costs, whichever is greater.  This is a little more than what Gain costs per washload at my local WalMart; but 1) I think my stuff is better (although I might be biased) and 2) there is bound to be more washloads than ounces.  If it all works out okay, I'm going to start ordering my materials in more economical volumes; as well as work on a dishwasher formula.
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2012, 01:27:19 AM

Are home detergents regulated by the FDA (in the US)?

I don't mean to throw any unwarranted suspicion upon your product, I'm just wondering if anyone, historically, has had any issues with homemade concoctions made by unqualified individuals.

Still around.
thebaron

Activity: 434

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 01:34:44 AM

I'd buy some to try whenever you get around to it.

You could make a small fortune selling "illegal" dishwasher detergent with phosphates in it.
tool_462

Activity: 924
Merit: 507

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 09:05:23 AM

I don't meet the post count stipulation but I would be willing to try this in my HE (high efficiency) washer and report back.

Asked previously, HE washer is this:
http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-an-high-efficiency-washing-machine.htm

Normally needs "special" detergent to avoid suds which don't get cleaned off the clothes due to the different agitation, and your washer will get smelly over time if you use regular stuff.

TheBitcoinChemist (OP)

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 08:34:26 PM

I don't meet the post count stipulation but I would be willing to try this in my HE (high efficiency) washer and report back.

Asked previously, HE washer is this:
http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-an-high-efficiency-washing-machine.htm

Normally needs "special" detergent to avoid suds which don't get cleaned off the clothes due to the different agitation, and your washer will get smelly over time if you use regular stuff.

I'm sorry.  I forgot about this.  You'll be at the top of my list as soon as I make another batch.  Assuming that I do.
TheBitcoinChemist (OP)

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 08:41:37 PM

Okay.  Fully wrapped and ready to ship, the remainder of my first batch weighs 4.52 pounds.  I checked the major package shippers' websites for quotes, using my own zip code and one chosen for California to get an idea how much it would cost to ship.  The cheapest quote that I could get was from UPS Ground for $17.62, but my prior statement about costs says that 4.5 pounds works out to be $14.40, so the actual cost of shipping is going to be the minimum and I'd certainly be taking a loss at anything under a $25 sale.  So it looks like I can't compete here with the cost of shipping, which is what I was afraid of.

If anyone is willing to pay 2.5 BTC for my remainder of a batch, just let me know.  Otherwise I'm just going to use it myself.

streblo

Activity: 165
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 11:15:29 PM

You could make a small fortune selling "illegal" dishwasher detergent with phosphates in it.
As someone who knows his soap history, I can say this is very true!

Phosphate-based soaps were banned for causing algae blooms (and other environmental problems) and nothing since has worked as well.

Thinking about it, perhaps using old washing-machine water (with phosphates) in a greywater system, would make excellent water for plants!  Shocked
TheBitcoinChemist (OP)

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 04:12:38 AM

As someone who knows his soap history, I can say this is very true!

Phosphate-based soaps were banned for causing algae blooms (and other environmental problems) and nothing since has worked as well.

Thinking about it, perhaps using old washing-machine water (with phosphates) in a greywater system, would make excellent water for plants!  Shocked

(real) lye soap

sodium-chloride

sodium-carbonate (fixed)

sodium-tetraborate

sodium-triphosphate.

I am aware of the value of phosphates.  The real question is the bitcoin community aware of the value of phosphates, because they aren't cheap and they aren't in any residential/retail cleaning products (in any significant concentration) anymore.  That is what I'm competing with, BTW.  If the bitcoin community wants phosphates in their clothes detergent, I have that; and if the bitcoin community wants phosphates in their dishwashing detergent, I can do that too.   As I said before, my detergent has five ingredients, all of which serve a particular purpose and only one of which is actual soap.
thebaron

Activity: 434

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 04:53:12 AM

How much do you think you could fit in a Medium or Large flat rate USPS Priority Mail box?
Trance104

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 02:59:19 PM

How much do you think you could fit in a Medium or Large flat rate USPS Priority Mail box?

I agree with this guy. Have you checked the "If it fits if ships" boxes?

https://www.prioritymail.com/flatrates.asp

$15.45 for the largest box. Also, the boxes are free at the USPS (you can even have them dropped off at your house for free). It ships priority, which at it's slowest is 5 business days domestic.
sunnankar
Legendary

Activity: 1031

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2012, 05:34:40 PM

I am aware of the value of phosphates.  The real question is the bitcoin community aware of the value of phosphates, because they aren't cheap and they aren't in any residential/retail cleaning products (in any significant concentration) anymore.  That is what I'm competing with, BTW.  If the bitcoin community wants phosphates in their clothes detergent, I have that; and if the bitcoin community wants phosphates in their dishwashing detergent, I can do that too.   As I said before, my detergent has five ingredients, all of which serve a particular purpose and only one of which is actual soap.

I am more interested in being able to boycott Walmart or other retailers along with the banking system and credit cards than save a few pennies.

Plus, my cups all have scum on them unless I wash by hand because the dishwasher detergent does not actually clean!

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: