Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:56:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin soaring, highest I've seen it since last year while it was decreasing  (Read 3537 times)
pekv2 (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 12:05:18 AM

Just decided to check out bitcoin US prices. I am very impressed with the priced increase.

mtgoxUSD 8.5201

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
stick_theman

Activity: 372
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 12:15:08 AM

Do you think taking out the gambling aspect (e.g. Bitcoinica) has to do with the soaring prices?
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 12:18:37 AM

Quite a run, and the 24 hour volume on MtGox is nothing to sneeze at either.  This is going to make it harder for me to invest in more bitcoin.  Must...Suppress....Price!  Minions, go!

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
teflone

Merit: 500

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 12:41:16 AM

Do you think taking out the gambling aspect (e.g. Bitcoinica) has to do with the soaring prices?

BINGO!

Bitcoinica if it was done well, and worked as was intended would have been a nice stabilizing factor in the bitcoin world..

But it wasnt..  clearly, and all it was, was an indicator and a tool to be abused, and abused it was.... heavily, suppressing the price artificially, and having mad mad mad algorithm failures, which in turn caused mass panic selling.

I for one am thankful its toast..  but I feel for all the people waiting on coins that Bitcoinica has stolen.   Yes..  I said STOLEN..

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 12:42:19 AM

Bitcoin allowed "gambling" in both directions - you could leverage long or leverage short. Removing Bitcoinica doesn't necessarily put upward pressure on anything. In fact, if more people were leveraged long on Bitcoinica then removing it would actually depress the price.
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 12:51:36 AM

I think the lack of Bitcoinica is relevant.

I don't know if that's because aggressive shorting on margin was suppressing the "true" price, or because the ability to short at all was keeping bullish sentiment from running up another bubble.

If there was a functional futures exchange (i.e. with market makers and fiat deposits/withdrawls), maybe I'd feel better about it.

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 12:56:50 AM

BINGO!

Bitcoinica if it was done well, and worked as was intended would have been a nice stabilizing factor in the bitcoin world..

But it wasnt..  clearly, and all it was, was an indicator and a tool to be abused, and abused it was.... heavily, suppressing the price artificially, and having mad mad mad algorithm failures, which in turn caused mass panic selling.

I for one am thankful its toast..  but I feel for all the people waiting on coins that Bitcoinica has stolen.   Yes..  I said STOLEN..

Right, because a bucket shop was going to suppress the value of the best money ever created.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
HorseRider
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 01:09:29 AM

anyone move this to speculation board, please?

16SvwJtQET7mkHZFFbJpgPaDA1Pxtmbm5P
Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 01:10:35 AM

I don't see how Bitcoinica would have any effect one way or the other except in short time spans.  And I don't see how it would be biased in either the up or down direction.  Bitcoin just made leveraged trading in either direction easy.  If you think the price is too high right now…sell some bitcoins!  You don't need Bitcoinica to short Bitcoin.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
Qoheleth
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 01:22:04 AM

You don't need Bitcoinica to short Bitcoin.
You do if you're not holding Bitcoins.

Right now, a person can only act on what they think is an overly high BTC price if they've already bought in to that extent. Similarly, a "true believer" in Bitcoin can only act on a low price if they have fiat lying around.

Futures or options contracts - or, alternatively, margin trading at a 1:1 ratio - counteract that, and let people who weren't confident to begin with act on the market when it starts to act (in their eyes) irrationally.

That's the theory, anyway. Margin trading at a higher ratio (such as the ones Bitcoinica allowed) could also allow people to just make very unwise bets and swing the market around even more irrationally than normal.

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
teflone

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 01:24:57 AM

You don't need Bitcoinica to short Bitcoin.
You do if you're not holding Bitcoins.

Right now, a person can only act on what they think is an overly high BTC price if they've already bought in to that extent. Similarly, a "true believer" in Bitcoin can only act on a low price if they have fiat lying around.

Futures or options contracts - or, alternatively, margin trading at a 1:1 ratio - counteract that, and let people who weren't confident to begin with act on the market when it starts to act (in their eyes) irrationally.

That's the theory, anyway. Margin trading at a higher ratio (such as the ones Bitcoinica allowed) could also allow people to just make very unwise bets and swing the market around even more irrationally than normal.

Ding ding ding.. we have a winner..

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 01:31:39 AM

All Bitcoinica did was increase volatility. Both ways.
testerx

Activity: 608

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 01:38:59 AM

I actually think the price is skyrocketing because people are buying BFL stuff with cash-thus converting into btc via bitpay and providing an artificially high demand for BTC at the moment.
Qoheleth
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 01:42:30 AM

I actually think the price is skyrocketing because people are buying BFL stuff with cash-thus converting into btc via bitpay and providing an artificially high demand for BTC at the moment.
Maybe. But BFL takes their payment denominated in USD... so wouldn't BFL itself just immediately re-sell the BTC they received from BFL's customers?

If it's BitPay volume, why hasn't the price receded in the week+ since this rally began?

rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 01:42:56 AM

Their stuff was available for preorder a long time before the price started rising so dramatically.

Also, BTC9.24 and rising!

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 01:44:06 AM

You are mistaken:

In order for BitPay to pay BFL with dollars they need to sell all those bitcoins and you're right where you were at the beginning and maybe even lower since not all who used BTC needed to buy them first.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 01:44:51 AM

I think BFL stuff may be part of it, but just as much Paypal cutting off cyberlockers and Mr Dotcom's publicity, as well as general greater use of bitcoin.  

Littleshop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 01:47:59 AM

You are mistaken:

In order for BitPay to pay BFL with dollars they need to sell all those bitcoins and you're right where you were at the beginning and maybe even lower since not all who used BTC needed to buy them first.

That is one way it could happen but that is not what we think is really happening......

Since Bit-Pay is announcing that they have a large amount of coins to sell (optionally outside of the exchanges) and that they came from BFL, Bit-Pay probably has paid BFL as normal in USD and is now long that much more bitcoin.

If this is true... Bit-pay has been on the right side of a WINNING BET!  They (on paper) may have made over $20,000 if they had over 10,000 BTC long due to BFL.

Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 01:48:13 AM

I think BFL stuff may be part of it, but just as much Paypal cutting off cyberlockers and Mr Dotcom's publicity, as well as general greater use of bitcoin.  

This. If he implements bitcoin for megabox the last high will seem miniscule in comparison.

Littleshop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 01:50:03 AM

And why did I forget...

Third reason for BTC to go up (the scary one)....

Pirate has continued to pay out dividends and people are bringing more money into bitcoin to deposit with him.  This could be causing massive upward pressure as well.  

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: