Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:12:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is bitcoin v0.10's new libsecp256k1 safe & without mathematical backdoors?  (Read 8288 times)
colinistheman (OP)

Activity: 872
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 07:01:58 PM
Last edit: February 21, 2015, 04:29:21 AM by colinistheman

Hi colinistheman,

it's very good that people have concerns about the security of code, or the process used to assure it. I hope your concerns have been addressed by now.

Your post made me realize one thing though: you probably haven't seen gmaxwell's reddit post (http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2rrxq7/on_why_010s_release_notes_say_we_have_reason_to/). This explains the reason for the at the time somewhat cryptic "we have reason to believe it is better tested". I encourage you to read the details there, but in short: we found a very tricky (but most likely harmless) bug in OpenSSL itself while writing this library - because the tests did comparisons with OpenSSL and failed once. It's by no means a proof that libsecp256k1 is bug free (more review is always welcome), but it does show that its testing practices pay off.

We should probably change the language in the release notes, now that the OpenSSL bug it was referring to has been disclosed.

Hi Peter, I just saw you speak about the new lipsecp256k1 library here in this video. Thanks.

link for anyone else who wishes to hear him speak on this subject.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1122

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 06:08:54 PM

C++ is hard to read, much harder than C, but not impossible.
I'm not sure of the context for this comment, libsecp2561k is plain C.
[/quote]

No , that's a real effect of using c++. I appreciate that secp is in C. 

C++ allows a lot of hidden actions and allows them to be redefined via overloading. It's very hard to be sure that nothing unintended is happening when using C++. The fact that the Bitcoin software is written in it is at best unfortunate for hardcore security reviews but it's hard to put up a good GUI app with anything better for security.
Cryddit
Legendary

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 09:56:55 PM

I just ran 'make check' on a freshly-built bitcoin 0.10.0 and got 2 tests passed out of 3, with 456 failed test cases. 

All of them are from src/test/crypto_tests.cpp and state "error in sha256_testvectors": check hash == out failed."

Please tell me this is because I've got something configured wrong.....   Huh
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1000

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2015, 10:58:01 PM

Code:
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/bleat/install/bitcoin/src'
make  check-TESTS check-local
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/bleat/install/bitcoin/src'
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/bleat/install/bitcoin/src'
PASS: test/test_bitcoin
make[4]: Entering directory `/home/bleat/install/bitcoin/src'
make[5]: Entering directory `/home/bleat/install/bitcoin/src'
make[5]: Leaving directory `/home/bleat/install/bitcoin/src'
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/bleat/install/bitcoin/src'
============================================================================
Testsuite summary for Bitcoin Core 0.10.99
# TOTAL: 1
# PASS:  1
# SKIP:  0
# XFAIL: 0
# FAIL:  0
# XPASS: 0
# ERROR: 0
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/bleat/install/bitcoin/src'
Running test/bitcoin-util-test.py...
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/bleat/install/bitcoin/src/secp256k1'
  CC       src/tests-tests.o
  CCLD     tests
make  check-TESTS
make[4]: Entering directory `/home/bleat/install/bitcoin/src/secp256k1'
make[5]: Entering directory `/home/bleat/install/bitcoin/src/secp256k1'
PASS: tests
make[6]: Entering directory `/home/bleat/install/bitcoin/src/secp256k1'
make[6]: Leaving directory `/home/bleat/install/bitcoin/src/secp256k1'
Testsuite summary for libsecp256k1 0.1
# TOTAL: 1
# PASS:  1
# SKIP:  0
# XFAIL: 0
# FAIL:  0
# XPASS: 0
# ERROR: 0
make[5]: Leaving directory `/home/bleat/install/bitcoin/src/secp256k1'
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/bleat/install/bitcoin/src/secp256k1'
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/bleat/install/bitcoin/src/secp256k1'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/bleat/install/bitcoin/src'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/bleat/install/bitcoin/src'

# ./test_bitcoin --t crypto.tests
Running 133 test cases...

*** No errors detected

did I miss something?

456 test cases?  3 tests?

this?

Code:
# ~/install/bitcoin/src/secp256k1/tests
test count = 64
random seed = 12071984385075897441
random run = 1544165739024864173

dont see anything else
Cryddit
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 05:51:48 AM

D'oh! 

I figured it out.  I had a version mismatch in my automake and needed to regenerate aclocal.m4 before configuring so it would correctly create test_driver. 
Cryddit
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 06:01:15 AM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

It really is upsetting how many THINGS bitcoin building depends on.

How many things a version change in some code not controlled by it can screw up or introduce vulnerabilities in.

I know all the cool kids are using boost, but did a crypto project really need the vulnerability to version rot?  I know all the cool kids are using OpenSSL but did we really have to wait until a version upgrade broke our consensus before we implemented a consensus library to get past it?  I know all the cool kids are using autodeps, automake, autoconf, etc, but those still change often enough to distrust them for a crypto project.  

And then there's C++.  A language in which arbitrary and unexpected behavior can be lurking behind every overloaded operator, implicitly called constructor/destructor on procedure entry/exit, etc.  

And the STL, which leaks copies of information in deallocated memory all over the place if you're not extremely careful.  Still, you've got explicit memory management so you CAN avoid leaking copies of information in deallocated memory if you are very careful, and that's more than I can say for most "modern" or "more convenient" languages.  

And the STUPID depending for a binary format on a database that changes its binary format with EVERY new release, which has forced us to maintain our own archived copy of an obsolete database that has had security bugs fixed SINCE we did!  The only reason our wallets aren't vulnerable is because we used them to store encrypted data in the first place. 

As an old cryptogeek this is a nerve-wracking codebase.  Don't get me wrong, the code is good - but doing all this, and trying to stay secure given the limitations and version changes of all these tools, is like dancing on a tightrope over a fire.  I vastly prefer C, where every operation is visible and every operator does exactly one thing.  In C it's easy to know when things AREN'T happening.

gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2015, 11:11:22 AM
Merited by ABCbits (3)

It really is upsetting how many THINGS bitcoin building depends on.
Take a breath. Okay. Now, lets walk through this.

How many things a version change in some code not controlled by it can screw up or introduce vulnerabilities in.
Fairly few, in fact-- if you use the gitian build system there is no uncontrolled upgrade of any dependency in the system. You will build a bit identical binary to all other users, and all updates to dependence can be audited and tested before being deployed.

I know all the cool kids are using boost, but did a crypto project really need the vulnerability to version rot?
Boost has only ever been used in a fairly limited capacity in bitcoin, mostly importing C++ features from the future, some of which are very useful to writing safe reviewable code. (the one big exception to that is the use of boost-asio). C++11 and better have incorporated many of the features, and Bitcoin Core has been phasing out most boost usage; though a preference to retaining compatibility with older operating systems is delaying the move completely. That said, we've had fairly few issues with boost version incompatibility (presumably because so little of it is used).

I know all the cool kids are using OpenSSL but did we really have to wait until a version upgrade broke our consensus before we implemented a consensus library to get past it?
Work on libsecp256k1 began something like a year ago, along with work to isolate  the consensus behavior from openssl (as part of BIP62).  In spite of your considerable knowledge of cryptography and systems programming you have not made, as far as I can tell, a single contribution to these efforts. The fact of the matter is that only a few users care, even most of the people who regularly contribute to Bitcoin Core have not contributed to these efforts. And the work must be done very carefully. The update broke consensus was detected within hours of the openssl release through code review (not user reports), and did not effect bitcoin.org binaries or other binaries built with the gitian build system, because it captures and fixes the environments.  Which certainly made it easier to move forward with a subset of BIP62, since it validated the things that those of us who care about these things have been saying for some time and got more people willing to step up and do some review.

I know all the cool kids are using autodeps, automake, autoconf, etc, but those still change often enough to distrust them for a crypto project.
Your complaint there seems surprising. When a distribution tarfile is created all the autofoo stuff is fixed as shell scripts and doesn't even need to be installed on the host.  The pre-autotools enviroment for Bitcoin was a catastrophe. Keep in mind that Bitcoin is not some UIless library, it's a fairly complex end user application with graphical support and several optional components.  Though even without that, the autofoo stuff makes cross compilation work well-- which is important for being able to do things like the gitian build system providing binaries for three platforms from a single host.

(And pretty much no build system is going to save you from something getting screwed up here or there and needing to "make clean" to put everything right)

And then there's C++.  A language in which arbitrary and unexpected behavior can be lurking behind every overloaded operator, implicitly called constructor/destructor on procedure entry/exit, etc.
Yes, C++'s opacity is annoying, but what can you say?  Bitcoin Core never had a single remote code execution bug, in a complex codebase with a lot of moving parts. Had it all been written in C it is much less likely to have been as correct as it was, it would have been harder to understand at a high level (even if the fine details were more clear); and I say this as someone who profoundly dislikes C++.  C++'s mostly only awful when code is inflicted on you by others, it offers many sins, but they're answerable by "well, don't do that."

And the STL, which leaks copies of information in deallocated memory all over the place if you're not extremely careful.  Still, you've got explicit memory management so you CAN avoid leaking copies of information in deallocated memory if you are very careful, and that's more than I can say for most "modern" or "more convenient" languages.
Careful here, your "plain C" also spews data all over the place. Go look at your stack. The compiler optimizes out most efforts to clean it up, and randomly spills things into place you never though they'd be. You can achieve the same control over leaking data in C++ as exists in C (as in: not perfect), all the STL objects can use custom allocators that zeroize. This is used in Bitcoin Core.

And the STUPID depending for a binary format on a database that changes its binary format with EVERY new release, which has forced us to maintain our own archived copy of an obsolete database that has had security bugs fixed SINCE we did!  The only reason our wallets aren't vulnerable is because we used them to store encrypted data in the first place.
Yes, BDB is lame. Though its only new major releases which break the format. Old releases have still received fixes (especially important since the latest releases have changed software licenses).  It's not a security concern not because of encrypted data but because it's a local database for the wallet, it's not exposed to the outside world. Several abortive attempts have been made to replace it, it's a big project. (not in terms of lines of code, but in terms of cost of mistakes.)

As an old cryptogeek this is a nerve-wracking codebase.  Don't get me wrong, the code is good - but doing all this, and trying to stay secure given the limitations and version changes of all these tools, is like dancing on a tightrope over a fire.  I vastly prefer C, where every operation is visible and every operator does exactly one thing.  In C it's easy to know when things AREN'T happening.
I generally prefer C too. But I would have a hard time arguing for it for the vast majority of Bitcoin Core's code. The automatic safety possible in modern C++ has served it very well.  There are some parts, like the nitty gritty cryptographic consensus parts which already need to be so simplified, so analyzed, so straightforward in their operation, and are so important to expose to strong analysis tools (that don't generally work on C++ owing to its awful undecidable grammar) that the balance likely tilts back the other way, but we'll see how that plays out as those parts are factored out of the main codebase.

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: