Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 10:28:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: More phishing emails - Localbitcoins  (Read 1832 times)
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1217

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 08:18:39 AM

Remember to report it. Google: report phishing

Tried it before. Nothing happens. I think Google blocks the link only if more than 3 people report it.

So the best way would be to share the email here, so that more people will be able to report it.
Madness

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

My goal is becaming a billionaire.

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2015, 10:48:02 AM

Remember to report it. Google: report phishing

Tried it before. Nothing happens. I think Google blocks the link only if more than 3 people report it.

So the best way would be to share the email here, so that more people will be able to report it.

Of course they won't block it mate , Gmail have millions of users so they don't take  report seriously , they need more then that , each one who received it should report ,  person report won't affect on them at all .

OnkelPaul
Legendary

Activity: 1039
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 10:53:32 AM

That's just bad  Sad. Anyone can pretend to be anyone this way. I see now why these phishing attempts are successful, user just sees the 'from' address and thinks that it is real.

Welcome to the world of internet mail. It's been like that for 30 years or so, but you're probably not the last one to realize that it's broken.

Onkel Paul

Super T (OP)

Activity: 124
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 11:17:58 PM

got another one, different link this time

BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 11:58:51 PM

During my time in the btc world i've seen fishing from at least 3 different exchange sites lol.
hongw

Activity: 306
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 01:18:12 AM

That's just bad  Sad. Anyone can pretend to be anyone this way. I see now why these phishing attempts are successful, user just sees the 'from' address and thinks that it is real.

Welcome to the world of internet mail. It's been like that for 30 years or so, but you're probably not the last one to realize that it's broken.

Onkel Paul
email really hasn't even been around for 30 years yet. phishing is also somewhat of a newer "feature" of email as it has really only been used for the past ~7 years or so, although phishing attempts have been getting much more advanced
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 09:10:39 AM

That's just bad  Sad. Anyone can pretend to be anyone this way. I see now why these phishing attempts are successful, user just sees the 'from' address and thinks that it is real.

Onkel Paul
email really hasn't even been around for 30 years yet. phishing is also somewhat of a newer "feature" of email as it has really only been used for the past ~7 years or so, although phishing attempts have been getting much more advanced

I have seen examples where a whole phishing site was hosted on Google Drive, which made it seem very legit.

You receive an email which looks like coming from Google team. You hover over the suspicious link to check only to find that it takes you to a google url (because the site is hosted on Google Drive). You click and assume you are on a Google-owned page. It asks you to login to your Google account. You enter your google account details and .....

OnkelPaul
Legendary

Activity: 1039
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 10:02:17 AM

Onkel Paul

Actually, e-mail has been around for a bit more than 40 years: See http://openmap.bbn.com/~tomlinso/ray/firstemailframe.html and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARPANET
It's true that e-mail phishing is a somewhat newer phenomenon (about 20 years, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing), but the prerequisite is that sender information can easily be forged, which is basically built into e-mail protocols from the beginning.
The only way out of this would be to widely use public key encryption and signatures. Most people don't think their e-mail communication is valuable enough to warrant the additional effort, though.

Onkel Paul

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: