Print  
Author Topic: .  (Read 89794 times)
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 05:11:47 PM

I have a Raspberry PI as well. I actually got it to mine with a handful of Icarus using Archlinux (was far more work than I thought it would be), but I'd rather use it as an offline wallet storage. If someone were to create an offline version of Armory on it, I think I'd be willing to start the bounty at 10 BTC. PM me if anyone starts such a bounty, I'd be willing to contribute if it is relatively easy to use/backup.

Someone just contacted me to let me know he got Armory running offline on the Raspberry Pi.  He emailed to ask if I can get him off the newbie list so he can post:

https://github.com/etotheipi/BitcoinArmory/issues/19

If you can get ahold of him, see if you can get him to post here, then give him the bounty Smiley

I've been thinking for some time that the Model A (currently not available, it has 1 USB port and no ethernet) would be a rather good solution for those looking to run a cold storage wallet

Vires in numeris

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ChipGeek

Activity: 198
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 06:05:22 PM

Me too, I've got a Raspberry Pi on order …I want an offline address generator (based on bitaddress.org), however I don't want to print stuff out.  Instead, what I would like is to generate the private key and have it encrypted and displayed on screen as a QR code…then I want to snap a photo of it with my phone for backup purposes (and copy that photo to various online locations for backup).

As a further improvement, I would like a wallet that would sweep a specified amount of coins from an address to a new destination while sending change to a second address (which would be another offline generated wallet).  That would provide a convenient means of taking just a specified amount out of an offline wallet while returning change to a newly generated offline wallet.
I'd be afraid of malware on my phone grabbing the QR codes and thus, stealing my keys.  I'd rather use a simple non-network camera if I was going to take photos of QR codes.  But then, how can you be sure of making backup copies of those without malware stealing those photos?

Here's how I use my Raspberry Pi to generate cold storage wallets.  Start with a freshly formatted SD card, install the Raspbian image to it and copy the bitaddress.org .html file to the partition visible from Windows.  (For the REALLY paranoid, create your own linux image for Rasp-Pi and examine the bitaddress.org .html code for malware.)  Make sure the ethernet cord is NOT plugged in the Rasp-Pi and boot up then configure the keyboard, timezone, etc.  

Start the browser and generate a single new paper wallet key with the bitaddress.org file.  WARNING: Generating a new key takes many seconds on the Rasp-Pi - be patient!  Print the resulting image to a .pdf or .ps file.  (This saves the QR codes for future use.)  Also copy/paste the address and key into a text file.  Save in plain text.  (See note below.)  Also create another similar text file with ONLY the public addresses.  Repeat for as many addresses as you want.

Now, using a spare USB port, copy just the public-address-ONLY files to a USB drive.  Use this in your PC to move money into your wallet.  (Do NOT put the private keys on this USB drive.)  On two or more DIFFERENT USB drives, back up the private key text files, and the files that you "printed" using the browser window.  Instead of USB drives, I use the 16 and 32 MB (not GB) SD cards that come free with digital cameras (w/ a USB adapter).  Store the linux boot SD card and private keys in a bank safety deposit box or home safe - or anywhere you would store a kilogram of gold.   Wink

When you need a private key - use ONLY the Rasp-Pi (when NOT on the network) to copy the ONE private key you need to your "public" USB drive.  Remember to NEVER insert the private key drives in a computer that is on the network.  Assume ANY computer or device (phone) that has ever touched the internet has malware.

Call me paranoid if you want.  But I intend (HOPE!) to never get bitcoins stolen.

NOTE: I prefer to save these keys in plain text because if I die or get a serious brain injury, I want my family to be able to get the coins instead of burying them with my "brain wallet" or secret password.

Tip jar:  1G7KWeWNHNvhfV6m6a7JGss5YGSYeFr8Ci

Tip jar: 1ChipGeeK7PDxaAWG4VgsTi31SfJ6peKHw
etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2012, 06:29:12 PM
Last edit: September 04, 2012, 04:40:47 AM by etotheipi

Me too, I've got a Raspberry Pi on order …I want an offline address generator (based on bitaddress.org), however I don't want to print stuff out.  Instead, what I would like is to generate the private key and have it encrypted and displayed on screen as a QR code…then I want to snap a photo of it with my phone for backup purposes (and copy that photo to various online locations for backup).

As a further improvement, I would like a wallet that would sweep a specified amount of coins from an address to a new destination while sending change to a second address (which would be another offline generated wallet).  That would provide a convenient means of taking just a specified amount out of an offline wallet while returning change to a newly generated offline wallet.
I'd be afraid of malware on my phone grabbing the QR codes and thus, stealing my keys.  I'd rather use a simple non-network camera if I was going to take photos of QR codes.  But then, how can you be sure of making backup copies of those without malware stealing those photos?

Here's how I use my Raspberry Pi to generate cold storage wallets.  

Sorry to keep harping on this but this is exactly why I made Armory.  As far as I know, there is just no simpler, safer way to use offline wallets than using Armory.   I use a 10-year-old laptop for the offline wallets, but the Raspberry Pi is the perfect compliment to Armory:

Setup offline wallet:
(1) Generate Armory wallet on offline machine (Raspberry Pi)
(1a) Print off a paper-backup of the wallet:  all coins can be recovered any time in the future with the 64-bytes on one sheet of paper (not encrypted)
(2) Click "Create Watching-Only Copy", import to online computer (no private keys)
(3) Online computer can now generate infinite number of payment addresses and monitor incoming transactions/payments
(4) Online computer only has public keys, wallet cannot be compromised.

Even if other solutions/methods succeed in the above, nothing is easier than Armory for spending those coins:
(1) With the watching-only wallet, click "Prepare Offline Transaction"
(2) Fill out transaction exactly as you would with a regular wallet.  It will ask you to save it to a USB key.
(3) Take USB to offline computer and go to "Sign Offline Transactions"
(4) Review transaction, sign it, it will add the signature(s) to the transaction on the USB key
(5) Take back to online computer and broadcast

You can generate infinite addresses/public keys, and monitor incoming transactions just as you would a full wallet.  And it takes less than 60 seconds to execute a transaction (once you have some practice).  Quite a bargain for the peace of mind that your private keys have never been near an internet connection.  Also, the wallets are encrypted using AES and scrypt-based key-strengthening.  And your single paper-backup protects you for forever (minus imported private keys).

Armory is technically still in alpha, but it's due to setup and usability concerns, not security or stability.  In the 8 months since Armory has been public, and with 1,500 downloads per month, still no reports of anyone ever losing money with it.  Some users have reported using Armory with 10K+ BTC.  It will be beta soon, but most users treat is as beta+ already.   (P.S. - of course Armory is OSS and comes with the usual "I am not liable for anything" clauses, I'm just commenting on its track record)

The point of this story:
(1) If you want cold storage, look into Armory
(2) If you want cold storage, but don't want to deal with laptops, RaspberryPi will soon be your answer
(3) Someone will soon be posting instructions for using it on RPi

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
ChipGeek

Activity: 198
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 07:13:33 PM

Armory is technically still in alpha, but it's due to setup and usability concerns, not security or stability.  In the 8 months since Armory has been public, and with 1,500 downloads per month, still no reports of anyone ever losing money with it.  Some users have reported using Armory with 10K+ BTC.  It will be beta soon, but most users treat is as beta+ already. 
Thanks for the very informative post.  The "alpha" status is why I have not tried Armory yet - but I will now.  Thanks.

Tip jar: 1ChipGeeK7PDxaAWG4VgsTi31SfJ6peKHw
Fluttershy

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 04:19:07 AM

I bet if you set up hidden Raspberry Pies in places like cyber cafes and on the outside of network firewalls man-in-the-middle style, you could have a distributed darknet that would be impossible to trace, then operate all the major bitcoin functions on that.

FiloSottile

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2012, 11:20:40 PM
Last edit: September 05, 2012, 11:38:57 PM by FiloSottile

https://i.imgur.com/IaAHAl.jpg

The point of this story:
(1) If you want cold storage, look into Armory
(2) If you want cold storage, but don't want to deal with laptops, RaspberryPi will soon be your answer
(3) Someone will soon be posting instructions for using it on RPi

Here I am, RPi is now your answer!
https://gist.github.com/3646033

I have a Raspberry PI as well. I actually got it to mine with a handful of Icarus using Archlinux (was far more work than I thought it would be), but I'd rather use it as an offline wallet storage. If someone were to create an offline version of Armory on it, I think I'd be willing to start the bounty at 10 BTC. PM me if anyone starts such a bounty, I'd be willing to contribute if it is relatively easy to use/backup.

I'll leave this here 18p7pUqqxPYtDaK3GytdVxdSKZzs25SihS
paulie_w

Activity: 420

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 02:10:10 AM

cool, i guess... but isn't this just the same as saying "i got bitcoin working on linux"
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 02:30:02 AM

So that was you...   Cheesy

Wanna Build a Supercomputer? You’ll Need Legos and Raspberry Pis…

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2012, 02:39:48 AM

I linked to this earlier today in my What I Leant Today thread. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65853.msg1191390#msg1191390

~Bruno~
FLHippy

Activity: 784
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 03:00:14 AM

How is that possible wouldn't the heat melt the plastic legos on to the board? There are no heat sinks or fans at all

It's a learning tool. They're probably not running it much except to demonstrate how a super computer works.

Plus, raspberry pis don't get too hot. It's just a wee one.

WHALES HEAVEN
Custody-free Swapping Platform
◈  ────────  Reddit ⬝  BountyWebsiteTelegramTwitterGitHub  ────────  ◈
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 05:55:31 AM

So tell me.  After reading this wired article, is there someone here who considers actually buying Legos and Raspberry pis to build a giant lego bitcoin miner wall?

That would be so cool...

osoverflow

Activity: 547
Merit: 105

Bitcoin ya no es el futuro, es el presente

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 10:09:15 PM

Where do I buy an stirling engine that provides enough power for a raspberry?

I found only educational models with enough power only for 4 leds.

Thanks.

To answer my own question the power draw of the current Raspberry Pi is 5 volts at 700mA. There are solar cell panels that exist that can be bought quite easily to perform this task. You'd probably want to build in a rudimentary charging/regulator circuit with a battery to prevent voltage fluctuations screwing things up.

If I get a chance, I'll try it out myself.

Stirling engines are much more efficient and put out more power than solar cells.

Bienvenidos a la nueva tecnología
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 05:13:10 AM

I've been thinking for some time that the Model A (currently not available, it has 1 USB port and no ethernet) would be a rather good solution for those looking to run a cold storage wallet

You're absolutely right. And at a price of only $25 it would be perfect. For that matter, with that specific Edimax Wireless USB there's even more pressure for a Raspberry Pi model A right now. I really hope they just get them done so we can use them.

For posterity's sake, I ended up using the bounty I was going to give for another project, but I still threw some coin to FiloSottile, I would highly encourage anyone else to give him your .1 BTC just to say thanks. I'm really looking forward to seeing what more can be done with this, it's the ultimate in air-gap security with Bitcoin, we should honestly be ranting and raving about it more. Also, don't forget to donate another .1 BTC for Armory development. If enough of us give a little to these guys, it encourages further development.
LargePig

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 11:48:32 AM

Just in case you didn't spot it in the newbie thread I posted my build of Armory for Raspbian here.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=110107.0

Everything works for me. RPi is perfect for cold storage.
FLHippy

Activity: 784
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 02:33:58 PM

open to suggestions for software to test or try and run on the Pi, and just any other general thoughts and ideas.

I'ld like to see a Raspberry Pi function purposed as an offline wallet creator:

- http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74615.0
Me too, I've got a Raspberry Pi on order …I want an offline address generator (based on bitaddress.org), however I don't want to print stuff out.  Instead, what I would like is to generate the private key and have it encrypted and displayed on screen as a QR code…then I want to snap a photo of it with my phone for backup purposes (and copy that photo to various online locations for backup).

As a further improvement, I would like a wallet that would sweep a specified amount of coins from an address to a new destination while sending change to a second address (which would be another offline generated wallet).  That would provide a convenient means of taking just a specified amount out of an offline wallet while returning change to a newly generated offline wallet.

I bought my RPI just for this purpose and it's wonderful for this. You can even print paper bills like the kind you can find at http://print.printcoins.com but it takes a little while to generate the PDFs. My setup is completely offline. I have no block chain there, just wallet and wallet related tools. I have 1 SD card for this task and a couple more SD cards for using the RPI as a media center.

Vanitygen works on the RPI too. (oclvanitygen does not)

The block chain might be the only tricky part.

I got my RPI from element14 3 days after I ordered it. I think I just got incredibly lucky cause they just happened to have 100 in stock the day I ordered. I hear most people are waiting 12 weeks (OMG).

Worth the wait, this is the funnest little hack-box ever.

WHALES HEAVEN
Custody-free Swapping Platform
◈  ────────  Reddit ⬝  BountyWebsiteTelegramTwitterGitHub  ────────  ◈
RaTTuS

Activity: 792
Merit: 1000

Bite me

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 04:12:31 PM

farnell / element14 will get you them inside a week
rs / allied will get you them in 2 months [not sure may be longer] they fucked up the ordering of the SOC and have a massive backlog to get though
it looks like there will have been >1mil units sold before long [well before Christmas]

N.B.
there are only 44 processors on the GPU so even if we got hold of very low level stuff I doubt that they would be cost efficient to run as miners  Tongue however .... you never know

In the Beginning there was CPU , then GPU , then FPGA then ASIC, what next I hear to ask ....

1RaTTuSEN7jJUDiW1EGogHwtek7g9BiEn
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2012, 06:37:22 PM

I got my Raspberry Pi at the weekend and got MultiBit running on it today. I thought I would post some photos:

The overall setup - The RaspPi gets its internet via ethernet from my Mac's 3G dongle:

http://multibit.org/postImages/raspberryTable.jpg

And here is a close up of the screen with a couple of confirmed transactions:

http://multibit.org/postImages/raspberryScreen.jpg

It runs quite slowly (the OpenJDK JRE I am using has no just-in-time-compilation) and the installer hangs if you try to set up shortcuts but it works !

:-)

Jim

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
osoverflow

Activity: 547
Merit: 105

Bitcoin ya no es el futuro, es el presente

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2012, 09:33:04 PM

great! where did you bought it? (the raspberry pi)

Bienvenidos a la nueva tecnología
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2012, 09:35:06 PM

I got mine from RS Components (in the UK).

It has been on back order for a couple of months but I think they have increased production of late.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
mila

Activity: 462

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 10:04:07 PM

I got mine from RS Components (in the UK).

It has been on back order for a couple of months but I think they have increased production of late.

I got mine in less than a week but it's rev.2 with orig memory. now they ship 512 mb ram. which one did you receive?

your ad here:
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: